Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Noble Mate no GUI desktop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Noble Mate no GUI desktop

Lack of available time has I'm afraid meant that in order to keep testing the Mate version I have ended up using autologin, not something I want to do but in these circumstances it saves so much time.
    I can and will still keep trying new daily iso files so will be aware very quickly once this problem has been overcome and I can then start again with a completely new VM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have now installed slim dm and it's working fine.

I did consider gdm3 but it needed to pull in so much cruft of the gnome desktop that I didn't bother, having seen the comment about slim dm. I wonder if xdm would also work? I might try it on another Mate-Noble just for my own information.

While I'm here, how do I remove the annoying home icon from the desktop?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    While I'm here, how do I remove the annoying home icon from the desktop?
    Control Center>>.Mate Tweak>>Un tick show Desktop Icons gets them all.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks 1fallen.
    I didn't think to look there but should have done as that is how you change the mouse pointer. It would make more sense if it was in a more obvious place but perhaps that is what I get for having used Xfce exclusively for about 15 years.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have tried again today, Feb 10th, using the pending daily iso file of Mate-Noble but still there is no lightdm screen appearing so have again gone to a virtual tty and installed and configured slim dm. to my preferences.

Everything else seems to be working fine though I'm still preferring Xfce simply because I know where and how all its detailed tricks and configurations are.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; February 10th, 2024 at 11:25 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I was unfortunately wrong about slim dm working fine as I have now found on two different KVM installations on a laptop and a desktop that shutdown is always interrupted and machines either sit going nowhere or just restart.
    Shutting down using terminal or from a virtual tty command line work fine.
    having mentioned before that I wanted to try xdm I have also installed that and it works without the reboot problem so for now I'm leaving xdm in charge.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    I was unfortunately wrong about slim dm working fine as I have now found on two different KVM installations on a laptop and a desktop that shutdown is always interrupted and machines either sit going nowhere or just restart.
    Shutting down using terminal or from a virtual tty command line work fine.
    having mentioned before that I wanted to try xdm I have also installed that and it works without the reboot problem so for now I'm leaving xdm in charge.
    How weird, everything here is still good on slim dm....2 Laptops both Lenovo one intel i7 and the other amd and all functions like logout, restart, and shutdown work perfectly.
    But nice to see you verify xdm is working good for you. and it shows another option for others to try.
    Thanks ajgreeny
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I wonder if KVM is my problem; I can't remember but are your Mate systems bare metal or virtual installations?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I tried Mate on my old Acer Travelmate. It would not boot to GUI. Just a black screen. So, not KVM (yes, I tried that as well).

But when I logged in from another console, I tried running startx. And it worked.

Actually, I ought to try that on KVM as well...

Edit: startx works on KVM.
    Last edited by Irihapeti; February 12th, 2024 at 10:30 AM.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes we know startx works but it would make a lot more sense to get lightdm working as it should!

Have you tried slim and/or xdm, both of which worked for me for logging in but slim refused to let me shutdown the VMs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast