Thread: How do I make this go away?

Beans

How do I make this go away?

How do I make it go away without spending money, that is. It's annoying. It's an ad. Can I make it go away or is it time to start auditioning other distros?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How do I make this go away?

Point of information for anyone trying to help this member. They are complaining about the Ubuntu Pro prompts in the Software Updater. I have already told them (via pm) that Ubuntu Pro is free for personal use when I removed an earlier post from public view because of its tone, but it seems they are intent on ignoring that fact.

I'll move this to Ubuntu Linux & OS Chat, and wish luck to anyone replying.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

@NoDeity

I believe Ubuntu Pro is not only free but also optional. You do not need to sign up for it.

Maybe there is someone else who can tell you how to turn off the prompts. I do not use vanilla Ubuntu so am unable to assist.

Beans

There definitely ought to be a way to simply turn off the prompts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Use something other than software-centre, eg terminal commands, Synaptic, etc.

You will still see U-Pro mentioned but it won't be a separate dialogue, just a few additional words that you can ignore.
    I have never used the software-centre so have no real idea what you are seeing or whether that dialogue box requires action from the user. Synaptic or terminal certainly does not require you to do anything.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In my opinion if Canonical did not publicize the availability of Ubuntu Pro then people would complain that Canonical was being secretive and only interested in earning money from commercial organisations.

Ubuntu Pro is definitely a benefit to commercial organisations. I have no problem with Canonical earning some revenue by providing this service. I am certainly glad that Canonical has made this benefit available to ordinary users like myself.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have Ubuntu Pro enabled, and I don't see that message. What release are you using and how are you updating? Have you tried another method of updating; perhaps using the terminal.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You hit bug and bug, that were recently identified.

Disabling the messages is very hard and requires Python code changes in the file "/usr/lib/update-notifier/apt_check.py" (see here), but those will be undone at each update that package receives.

In the mean time the only pragmatic way to make the messages disappear, is to give into a (free) ESM / Pro subscription and wait until the bugs get fixed. Then it should be more ease to un-cofigure the messages you see.
    To fail to prepare is to prepare to fail.