Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slow gui desktop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Slow gui desktop

Mesa ad Vulkan help with Intel Graphics greatly. Just because 'vulkan-tools' is not installed does not mean that vulkan is installed or not. That was an optional.

What they also do not tell you, is that Intel Iris XE GPU's reserve about 4GB of the RAM for it's own use. So if thinking that 16GB is allot, and have thing loaded, take off that 4GB of memory for the graphics while you are crunching the numbers.

I would usually recommend for 11th Gen and newer going to the Intel XE OOT Extended Graphics drivers, except... They do not work yet with the 6.5.0 kernels. I am still working with the two upstream Intel Graphics Support Teams on the getting those drivers to work with those. The normal in-kernel i915 driver does still work.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I see you are setup with LVM. Typically, that happens only when LUKS encryption is selected at install or someone specifically requests LVM to be used. I always do for flexibility, but most people don't.

The only software item that seems odd to me is the v6.x kernel. My 22.04-based Desktop still uses the 5.15.x kernel. There have been a few performance "regressions" against the 6.x kernels, but I haven't kept up with those. You might look for performance issues with your specific kernel. To see if that's it, try booting from the last kernel that worked fine. Usually 3 kernels are retained in the Advanced Grub Menu. It would be good to know if all kernels or just 1 are slow. I did see a few reports that running virtual machines under a v6.5.x kernel had huge performance issues.

I'm not a fan of Wayland, though it should be faster than Xorg (X11), you might try choosing that mode on the login screen to see if it helps. I doubt it will, but something to try and isolate the problem.

Next time the system gets slow, look at what is running using top, htop, or glances. I have some suspicions, but don't want to taint the actual results.

Did you check the system logs for problems yet?

I have LVM because it was an option for encryption, and encryption is mandatory at work.

In the advanced kernel, I only have versions 6.X; there are no others.

During login, I selected Xorg - we'll see.
    I went through the logs, but I didn't find anything... but I have to say, I'm not an expert, and I might have overlooked something fatal.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    My 22.04-based Desktop still uses the 5.15.x kernel. There have been a few performance "regressions" against the 6.x kernels, but I haven't kept up with those. You might look for performance issues with your specific kernel. To see if that's it, try booting from the last kernel that worked fine. Usually 3 kernels are retained in the Advanced Grub Menu. It would be good to know if all kernels or just 1 are slow. I did see a few reports that running virtual machines under a v6.5.x kernel had huge performance issues.
    Can I downgrade the kernel? Today my system completely froze.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you tried, at the Grub2 Boot Menu, using Advanced Options, booting from an earlier kernel, and had the same problems or had them resolved by that?

Have you at the Graphical Login Screen (GDM3), at the password login panel, selected the Gear Icon, to switch which Graphics Engine (Wayland or Xorg) to see if one or the other resolves your issue?

There are many things to try yet...

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Have you tried, at the Grub2 Boot Menu, using Advanced Options, booting from an earlier kernel, and had the same problems or had them resolved by that?

Have you at the Graphical Login Screen (GDM3), at the password login panel, selected the Gear Icon, to switch which Graphics Engine (Wayland or Xorg) to see if one or the other resolves your issue?

There are many things to try yet...
    Yes, when I logged in I selected Xorg. I noticed, but such things that for example Ubuntu Software starts, but the graphics do not load (when logging back into Wayland everything OK)

I am now testing kernel version 5.19 but after logging in I don't have the correct resolution and the touchpad and keyboard don't work, using USB they do
    Last edited by honzap00; February 9th, 2024 at 09:51 AM.

Beans

I also noticed that it's not just a Firefox problem, as I originally thought. But the applications themselves start slowly. And the graphics on the 4K monitor are not quite sharp and nice - but that's just me. Now I'm talking about Wayland and Kernel 6.5.0.17

Beans

Do you have any tips on what to try?
    We want to deploy ubuntu in a corporate environment, can paid ubuntu support help me with the solution? Does anyone have any experience, please?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12