Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu PRO

Beans

Ubuntu PRO

Hello,
    I have Ubuntu PRO LTS with ZFS and encryption.

Approximately one day after a clean installation, the system was no longer functional and remained stuck at boot, as seen in the screen

https://ibb.co/YBrN4Br

Before this error occurred, I had to reinstall the system

bash - segmentation fault when using su or sudo - Ask Ubuntu

Is there an issue with ZFS in combination with encryption?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu PRO

Memtest and nvme disk test was pass, hp probook g9

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Your Thread Title is a bit misleading, You seem to be asking about ZFS.

Anywho please see the system-info link in my signature, it will give the information needed to help you.

Paste the link it gives you back here so we know where it is.

I have 3 zfs systems up and going ATM.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Nothing is jumping out at me.
    There is this "zsys" that can fill your boot pool but I see now you had to run the script from the Live installer.

If I would of taken the time to see you could not boot from your installed system I would of advised to run that script a bit differently.
    I'm going to out today life has me chasing a full day, I'm going to ask someone to jump in here to see if we can help you.

If this is fresh new install and you had good back-ups I would now just reinstall. But wait a bit for the person I'm going to ask to jump in.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Could you please follow these instructions to unlock your pools, chroot into the installed system... DL the scipt again, except this time, while having it unocked and chrooted in, run it with this option:
    Code:
    ./system-info --details
    Then, while it is chrooted in, do
    Code:
    apt update
    grub-probe /boot
    apt install --reinstall --yes grub-efi-amd64 grub-efi-amd64-signed linux-image-generic linux-generic-hwe-22.04 shim-signed zfs-initramfs
    # Re-configure Grub
    #
    grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=ubuntu --recheck --no-floppy
    update-grub
    exit
    mount | grep -v zfs | tac | awk '/\/mnt/ {print $3}' | \
        xargs -i{} umount -lf {}
    zpool export -a
    reboot
    The comment 1falen made... Is becaseu Ubuntu Pro "is NOT a release"... Ubuntu is the release. Ubuntu Pro would be if you enrolled it into Ubuntu Pro "services", which you have 5 free subscriptions... So adds another years of security updates.

RE: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2494693
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; January 25th, 2024 at 05:02 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Hello,
    thank you very much for your help.
    I greatly appreciate it, but I had to reinstall the notebook because I needed it for work. However, there were still several errors with the ZFS and encryption connection.
    In the end, I performed a new installation using LVM and encryption.
    I am sending a report to see if you find anything. It's possible that the combination of ZFS and encryption on an HP ProBook G9 notebook may not work correctly.

https://termbin.com/eljk

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unfortunately, now, since you could not wait, and before getting instruction on what your change of plans were, before you did it... Yes, you have a mess to clean up.

I wish you would haven given us some warnign or a heads up. We could have saved you some work with doing that.

Right now, I'm sorry, but this will just be temporary, let me explain what needs to happen.

You need to destroy the old pools to remove them. Yes, you blew away the partitions and vdevs, but the defines for ZFS and LVM exist outside of the partitions.

So to destroy the pools (rpool & bpool), you first need to temporarily reinstall zfsutils-linux. Then do
    Code:
    sudo zdb
    Please post the output within Code Tags. The output will reveal what the PoolID is, so you can use that to delete the pools. Why? because you overwrote where the pools were written to, before properly destroying the pools, before doing that.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

I'm very sorry, I must have explained it wrong. I have already done a new installation with LVM and encryption. I was wondering if ZFS and siphoning on my HP probook G9 laptop might be causing the problem.

Beans

However, even now after a new clean install, the graphics environment seems slow to me, and this is a new laptop about a year old, intel i5 12th Gen i5-1235U, 16gb ram, nvme ssd 512GB

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast