Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Installing Nvidia GPU driver on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - which source is better?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Beans
    31

    Question Installing Nvidia GPU driver on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - which source is better?

    There are two sources for Nvidia's GPU drivers:

    1. The GPU drivers download webpage in Nvidia's website, i.e.:
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/drivers/

    2. The Ubuntu's "Additional Drivers" tab in the "Software & Updates" window.


    Which of them should I choose to install an Nvidia's GPU driver?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Wandering
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: Installing Nvidia GPU driver on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - which source is better?

    If you go with nVidia drivers from Nvidia.com when the kernel gets an updated upgrade it will break your driver, and possibly your system.

    the ones from Ubuntu are meant to work with all kernel upgrades seamlessly. (In Theory)

    That should help in making a wise choice.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Beans
    31

    Re: Installing Nvidia GPU driver on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - which source is better?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    If you go with nVidia drivers from Nvidia.com when the kernel gets an updated upgrade it will break your driver, and possibly your system.

    the ones from Ubuntu are meant to work with all kernel upgrades seamlessly. (In Theory)

    That should help in making a wise choice.
    Then it's better to use drivers provided by Ubuntu.
    Thank you.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    14,788

    Re: Installing Nvidia GPU driver on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - which source is better?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    If you go with nVidia drivers from Nvidia.com when the kernel gets an updated upgrade it will break your driver, and possibly your system.
    This shouldn't happen if you have dkms installed when you launch the .run file. (But yes, most people should use the packaged Nvidia version since it takes care of this caveat and several others.)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Wandering
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: Installing Nvidia GPU driver on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - which source is better?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post
    This shouldn't happen if you have dkms installed when you launch the .run file. (But yes, most people should use the packaged Nvidia version since it takes care of this caveat and several others.)
    Your right of course, but you and i have a bit more Linux savvy.
    I just can't in good faith recommend the binary from nVidia to a newer user is all.

    The best is from Ubuntu's repos for newer users.
    Code:
    nvidia-smi
    Wed Jan 24 10:12:09 2024       
    +---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | NVIDIA-SMI 545.29.06              Driver Version: 545.29.06    CUDA Version: 12.3     |
    Code:
    $apt policy nvidia-driver
    nvidia-driver:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 525.147.05-4
      Version table:
         525.147.05-5 600
            600 http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable/non-free amd64 Packages
         525.147.05-4 650
            650 http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing/non-free amd64 Packages
         525.147.05-4~deb12u1 600
            600 https://deb.parrot.sh/parrot lory/non-free amd64 Packages
            600 https://deb.parrot.sh/parrot lory-updates/non-free amd64 Pac
    I do know how to fix mine if it ever breaks though, and I have the mindset for this kind of frustration, but would a normal user?
    Last edited by 1fallen; January 24th, 2024 at 06:14 PM.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Beans
    31

    Re: Installing Nvidia GPU driver on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - which source is better?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post
    This shouldn't happen if you have dkms installed when you launch the .run file. (But yes, most people should use the packaged Nvidia version since it takes care of this caveat and several others.)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    Your right of course, but you and i have a bit more Linux savvy.
    I just can't in good faith recommend the binary from nVidia to a newer user is all.

    The best is from Ubuntu's repos for newer users.
    Code:
    nvidia-smi
    Wed Jan 24 10:12:09 2024       
    +---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | NVIDIA-SMI 545.29.06              Driver Version: 545.29.06    CUDA Version: 12.3     |
    Code:
    $apt policy nvidia-driver
    nvidia-driver:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 525.147.05-4
      Version table:
         525.147.05-5 600
            600 http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable/non-free amd64 Packages
         525.147.05-4 650
            650 http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing/non-free amd64 Packages
         525.147.05-4~deb12u1 600
            600 https://deb.parrot.sh/parrot lory/non-free amd64 Packages
            600 https://deb.parrot.sh/parrot lory-updates/non-free amd64 Pac
    I do know how to fix mine if it ever breaks though, and I have the mindset for this kind of frustration, but would a normal user?

    Thank you all!

    Ubuntu has a list of drivers to choose from via the GUI of "Software & Updates" under the "Additional Drivers" tab.
    I'm looking for the most stable and safe driver to choose.
    Is it the topmost option?
    Topmost option in my case is:
    Using NVIDIA driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-535 (proprietary, tested)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Installing Nvidia GPU driver on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - which source is better?

    I've been using high-end NVidia GPU's with Unix and Linux since 2005.

    I used to use the binary driver straight from NVidia. Noticed "used to". They are a pain to stay stable.

    I can tell you that using Ubuntu's packaged NVidia drivers are simpler, easier to install and usually more stable. You have the Ubuntu support system standing behind you to help support them, since they were packaged by them (to a point). They are still 3rd Party binaries, which Ubuntu is just repackaging.

    They are less trouble, but still sometimes blow out with a major kernel updates, especially if you have the HWE stack installed and it changes kernel series. As a Linux User who has NVidia, just accept that they are work to stay working, occasionally.

    What I advise new users is to learn how to add "nomodeset" into the commandline by editing the Grub2 menu... in the line that starts with the word "linux", right after the words "quiet splash". Or just toggle over to a vtty4 console session using <Cntrl><F4>...

    Then remember these commands:
    Code:
    DRIVER=$(apt list nvidia-driver-* --installed 2>/dev/null | awk -F "/" '/nvidia-driver/ {print $1}')
    sudo apt remove --purge nvidia* lib-nvidia*
    sudo apt install --yes $DRIVER nvidia-dkms
    That will remove the old drivers (recommended) and reinstall what you had installed, with the updated kernels. That will work 95% of the time. Nothing is 100%. There are sometimes challenges that come up.

    I try to stay up on current Linux Graphics Layer issues.

    Now you have heard from the 3 different Members who I've seen support the most NVidia Users with issues on this forum... I feel all are correct and have good things to add, from their own years of experience and support of.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 18th, 2024 at 05:36 AM.

    "Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Beans
    31

    Re: Installing Nvidia GPU driver on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - which source is better?

    Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    I've been using high-end NVidia GPU's with Unix and Linux since 2005.

    I used to use the binary driver straight from NVidia. Noticed "used to". They are a pain to stay stable.

    I can tell you that using Ubuntu's packaged NVidia drivers are simpler, easier to install and usually more stable. You have the Ubuntu support system standing behind you to help support them, since they were packaged by them (to a point). They are still 3rd Party binaries, which Ubuntu is just repackaging.

    They are less trouble, but still sometimes blow out with a major kernel updates, especially if you have the HWE stack installed and it changes kernel series. As a Linux User who has NVidia, just accept that they are work to stay working, occasionally.

    What I advise new users is to learn how to add "nomodeset" into the commandline by editing the Grub2 menu... in the line that starts with the word "linux", right after the words "quiet splash". Or just toggle over to a vtty4 console session using <Cntrl><F4>...

    Then remember these commands:
    Code:
    DRIVER=$(apt list nvidia-driver-* --installed 2>/dev/null | awk -F "/" '/nvidia-driver/ {print $1}')
    sudo apt remove --purge nvidia* lib-nvidia*
    sudo apt install --yes $DRIVER nvidia-dkms
    That will remove the old drivers (recommended) and reinstall what you had installed, with the updated kernels. That will work 95% of the time. Nothing is 100%. There are sometimes challenges that come up.

    I try to stay up on current Linux Graphics Layer issues.

    Now you have heard from the 3 different Members who I've seen support the most NVidia Users with issues on this forum... I feel all are correct and have good things to add, from their own years of experience and support of.
    So I understand that the choice of "nvidia-driver-535 (proprietary, tested)" should be stable among the other driver choices?
    I fear of driver issues and don't want to get locked out of my OS because of it.

    Regarding:

    What I advise new users is to learn how to add "nomodeset" into the commandline by editing the Grub2 menu... in the line that starts with the word "linux", right after the words "quiet splash". Or just toggle over to a vtty4 console session using <Cntrl><F4>...

    Then remember these commands:
    Code:
    DRIVER=$(apt list nvidia-driver-* --installed 2>/dev/null | awk -F "/" '/nvidia-driver/ {print $1}')
    sudo apt remove --purge nvidia* lib-nvidia*
    sudo apt install --yes $DRIVER nvidia-dkms
    That will remove the old drivers (recommended) and reinstall what you had installed, with the updated kernels. That will work 95% of the time. Nothing is 100%. There are sometimes challenges that come up.
    I should perform it only in case that an issue happens with the graphics driver, correct?

    Honestly I don't think that I'll remember it.
    I'll need to write it somewhere.

    If I understand correctly, the "rescue" method in case of a driver issue is as follows:
    1. Perform the "nomodeset" thing via the GRUB menu during boot - to be able to boot into OS.
    2. Perform the re-installation of Nvidia drivers.

    Should the same commands work properly when Secure Boot is enabled?

    Thank you for all those details!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Installing Nvidia GPU driver on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - which source is better?

    nvidia-driver-535 is currently the most stable driver for most recent model NVidia GPU's within the past few years. It is stable. That is what I use on my daily driver.

    Yes. Just when something goes wrong. Print out those directions for an emergency...

    Another way to easily start a Desktop in safe mode is to, at the Grub2 Menu > Select "Advanced Options" > Select any kernel with Recovery Mode > select "continue"... That will automatically insert "nomodeset" into the kernel boot line, as a boot parameter.

    A good read for graphics diagnostic and solving graphics issues is in the "Installations & Upgrades" Section > "Graphics Resolution" sticky (The first 3 posts). That would give you miles of information explaining how things work, how to diagnose problems, and many work-arounds.

    It is boots to a black screen or gets a blackscreen after the Graphical Login... First thing to do is to simultaneously press the keys <Cntrl><F4>. If that goes to a vtty4 console prompt, then the kernel booted and it's a graphics problem.

    After starting in safe mode, you can always (alternatively) go to the GUI "Additional Drivers" tab of "Software & Updates" and select your driver from there. In Ubuntu, there is 4-5 different ways to install NVidia drivers from the 3rd party Repo's. That is just for the standard drivers for those.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 18th, 2024 at 11:33 PM.

    "Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Beans
    31

    Re: Installing Nvidia GPU driver on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - which source is better?

    Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    nvidia-driver-535 is currently the most stable driver for most recent model NVidia GPU's within the past few years. It is stable. That is what I use on my daily driver.

    Yes. Just when something goes wrong. Print out those directions for an emergency...

    Another way to easily start a Desktop in safe mode is to, at the Grub2 Menu > Select "Advanced Options" > Select any kernel with Recovery Mode > select "continue"... That will automatically insert "nomodeset" into the kernel boot line, as a boot parameter.

    A good read for graphics diagnostic and solving graphics issues is in the "Installations & Upgrades" Section > "Graphics Resolution" sticky (The first 3 posts). That would give you miles of information explaining how things work, how to diagnose problems, and many work-arounds.

    It is boots to a black screen or gets a blackscreen after the Graphical Login... First thing to do is to simultaneously press the keys <Cntrl><F4>. If that goes to a vtty4 console prompt, then the kernel booted and it's a graphics problem.

    After starting in safe mode, you can always (alternatively) go to the GUI "Additional Drivers" tab of "Software & Updates" and select your driver from there. In Ubuntu, there is 4-5 different ways to install NVidia drivers from the 3rd party Repo's. That is just for the standard drivers for those.
    I found the Recovery mode of the additional kernels in GRUB menu!
    Now it feels safer to try the NVIDIA driver installation.

    Regarding:
    First thing to do is to simultaneously press the keys <Cntrl><F4>.
    In my case, the keys for entering a text console ("vtty4") while I was in (standard) Desktop were:
    <Cntrl>+<Alt>+<F4>

    I was thinking about an additional approach in case of an emergency - if I would have an integrated graphics (in my CPU; "iGPU"):
    Would connecting the cable of the display to the iGPU (instead of to the GPU RTX 4060) help to overcome issues with the display driver in case that the boot to Desktop fails?


    I appreciate your help!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •