Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cannot boot into Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Cannot boot into Ubuntu

Hey @oldfred,

Do you perhaps know what this is? I get this every time I boot into the live cd of Ubuntu.

(Sorry for the bad quality, I had to take it quick.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ajgreeny; December 24th, 2023 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Large image tremoved

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I looked up the error... And it came up with something am familiar with.

You have a machine with an old Intel Core2 Duo... Intel Core2 Duo is a 64bit CPU, but... I have an early computer that has that CPU, but had early UEFI that had 32bit UEFI.

That error first came up (in a search on it) when trying to boot an Intel Core Duo when it had a 32bit EFI... So would boot as BIOS Legacy, and as 32bit UEFI.

I have an assembler .efi program that I run and tells me if EFI is 32bit or 64bit... That I got the code that I adapted from from here: https://stackoverflow.com/a/53899019

For booting Grub2 on 32Bit UEFI, I installed... Then had to convert the boot type via 'grub-efi-ia-32'...

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    I looked up the error... And it came up with something am familiar with.

You have a machine with an old Intel Core2 Duo... Intel Core2 Duo is a 64bit CPU, but... I have an early computer that has that CPU, but had early UEFI that had 32bit UEFI.

That error first came up (in a search on it) when trying to boot an Intel Core Duo when it had a 32bit EFI... So would boot as BIOS Legacy, and as 32bit UEFI.

I have an assembler .efi program that I run and tells me if EFI is 32bit or 64bit... That I got the code that I adapted from from here: https://stackoverflow.com/a/53899019

For booting Grub2 on 32Bit UEFI, I installed... Then had to convert the boot type via 'grub-efi-ia-32'...
    Hey MAFoElffen,

Can I make the .efi program in the live CD of ubuntu or do I have to install a other program?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have not seen where you have came out and said which laptop brand and model it is. You never even said if it is a laptop. (And this is post #24...)

From you boot-info report, it said "Acer". In your photo's, it's a laptop.

I'm guessing it is an Acer AS5920-6959... I don't even see in the manual for that where it says it is capable of anything besides Legacy BIOS boot...

For an Installer LiveUSB or LiveDVD, do this
    Code:
    sudo dmidecode -t 0
    Post the results within CODE Tags.

If it is UEFI capable, and you can get into the UEFI shell prompt, then do
    Code:
    smbiosview -t 0
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; December 25th, 2023 at 07:07 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have not seen where you have came out and said which laptop brand and model it is. You never even said if it is a laptop. (And this is post #24...)

From you boot-info report, it said "Acer". In your photo's, it's a laptop.

I'm guessing it is an Acer AS5920-6959... I don't even see in the manual for that where it says it is capable of anything besides Legacy BIOS boot...

For an Installer LiveUSB or LiveDVD, do this
    Code:
    sudo dmidecode -t 0
    Post the results within CODE Tags.

If it is UEFI capable, and you can get into the UEFI shell prompt, then do
    Code:
    smbiosview -t 0
    This is the acer aspire 7720 (not with the G). But i'm gonna try it later. I hope my laptop will eventually run ubuntu. Happy holidays
    Last edited by thevgamer; December 26th, 2023 at 01:08 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thank you... That was very helpful.

Here is the User manual and the BIOS setup utility for your laptop: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/23...0.html?page=45

It has an IDE controller, but the HDD type is SATA. It was released in 2007... It originally came out with Windows Vista.

It is "Legacy Boot Only". It is not capable of UEFI nor SecureBoot. If you look at that user manual, there is no mention of EFI anywhere in it.

So yes... It can be MS-DOS partitioned with Legacy boot. It might be able to do a GPT partition table on the target hard disk, IF you install it with an added "bios_boot" flagged partition (unformatted) for Grub2 (legacy) to install to. But if not, it can still do Legacy boot with the old MS-DOS partition tables.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you... That was very helpful.

Here is the User manual and the BIOS setup utility for your laptop: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/23...0.html?page=45

It has an IDE controller, but the HDD type is SATA. It was released in 2007... It originally came out with Windows Vista.

It is "Legacy Boot Only". It is not capable of UEFI nor SecureBoot. If you look at that user manual, there is no mention of EFI anywhere in it.

So yes... It can be MS-DOS partitioned with Legacy boot. It might be able to do a GPT partition table on the target hard disk, IF you install it with an added "bios_boot" flagged partition (unformatted) for Grub2 (legacy) to install to. But if not, it can still do Legacy boot with the old MS-DOS partition tables.
    Than you for searching this out for me, but I think I am going for the MS-DOS partition tables. The only problem is I have never done a MS-DOS partition tabel. So my question to you is, how do I do a MS-DOS partition tabel?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Boot from the Installer LiveUSB > Use "Try" > Start Gparted... Chose the disk from the pull-down on the right. Select "Device" from the Menu at the top. Selectr "Create Partition Table".

In the pop-up dialog, select "MS-DOS" for the type. Select "OK". Close GParted. (You do not have to click apply for that to work.)

Start the installer from the desktop...

Good luck! Have fun.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Boot from the Installer LiveUSB > Use "Try" > Start Gparted... Chose the disk from the pull-down on the right. Select "Device" from the Menu at the top. Selectr "Create Partition Table".

In the pop-up dialog, select "MS-DOS" for the type. Select "OK". Close GParted. (You do not have to click apply for that to work.)

Start the installer from the desktop...

Good luck! Have fun.
    I've tried to do the installation with GParted, but I still got the message: "cannot find boot device." So I booted to the live CD of ubuntu and it again installed the GPT partition with EFI. I don't what I did wrong, but here are the steps I took:
    1. I pressed the button: "try Ubuntu."
    2. Then I went into GParted and choose the MS-DOS partititon.
    3. I finaly went into the setup and choose: "delete hard drive and install Ubuntu."

I think there is something wrong with the last step I took, but I am not sure.
    Last edited by thevgamer; December 28th, 2023 at 09:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hey yall, my laptop is finally running Ubuntu!

Well it turns out that you first had to make a MS-DOS partition table, then you need to click on the button: "other" so you can make the partitions by yourself, then you needed to make ONE partition for the boot and the system. So I created a root partition. Eventually the BIOS will detect the OS.

Thank you all for helping!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123