Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Removed python, how do I put it back?

Beans

Re: Removed python, how do I put it back?

Thank you again, as always.

I think I have that last post understood, moving the existing install's /home to a different place, then adding the original to fstab, then using a symbolic link to point from that to the /home/user folder. Makes sense.

It was your suggestion that at some point I may want to move the directory entirely that had me curious. Could it be simpler if I simply rsynced the entire /exports/myhome folder up one, so that all the content for /exports/myhome now was in the /exports location? Then edited fstab to mount UUID (/dev/sdb1) to /home/user?

Am I explaining that well?

I think before this I didn't understand that fstab was only for mounting partitions, not going more down the file system to subfolders. If it only mounts partitions, then I could just move my /home/user to reside at the top level of the /dev/sdb1 partition. Right?

(Again, thank you for your patience. You've been super helpful!)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think we understand that as the same.

That if you rsynsed, the folder of /MyUser to it's own partition, say for example /dev/sbb2... That didn't include other types of folders (Besides home user home folders)... Then that partition could be mounted as /home (mounpoint /home)... Which then would contain just the folder MyUser... (/home/MyUser)

That would be less complex, and make that much simpler for any pother upgrades or migrations in the future.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Detailed commands to move /home to its own partition. But not changing paths in same partition.
    To move /home uses rsync- Be sure to use parameters to preserve ownership & permissions
    [Move Home](https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pa...ng/Home/Moving) &

But always best to have good backup of /home, list of installed apps and any server type apps like database or web. User settings are in /home but hidden ( . ) files.

I have multiple installs and want data, but not necessarily setting in /home in all my installs. So I move data folders like Documents, Downloads, Pictures etc into a data partition and mount that, and link folders into /home so /home looks like normal structure, but data is really in another partition.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thank you again. @oldfred, I appreciate the answer but the grammar is a bit hard to follow. Are you saying that it's better for me to just use symlinks as described above? Or that I should indeed (using rsync, I would assume with -a?) migrate the /dev/sdb1/myhome to /dev/sdb1 ?

I don't really mind linking as @MAFoElffen suggests. But I do have a solid /home backup and could move it to the root of the partition if that's optimal. I don't have multiple installs, but I did find years back that having my /home on a separate partition made it simpler to upgrade without risking data loss.

Thank you (all!) again. I think at this point my only question is whether there's a good reason to migrate the data up to the root of the partition, or just leave it where it is and symlink. If they're basically the same, it seems linking is going to be simplest. Am I right?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Translation... He has one partition for his Home, which he shares with multiple installations. He mounts that somewhat as I described, and symlink's it/them to those installations user home folders... Same concepts.

When rsync over data to places, I have both mounted to the system, then use something similar to
    Code:
    rsync -aAXv /path/to/source/ /path/to/target

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234