Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grub Config Changes with LMDE6 Install / Changes Boot Order of Debian and Slackware:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Grub Config Changes with LMDE6 Install / Changes Boot Order of Debian and Slackw

Thanks for the Slackware UEFI link.

You said: "But you may be able to boot UEFI from your install and then create a boot stanza to directly boot Slackware."
    I'll have to do some reading as I'm not well versed in this.
    -Check yourself before you wreck yourself-

Devuan, MX Linux, Debian 12 & Slackware 15

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Grub Config Changes with LMDE6 Install / Changes Boot Order of Debian and Slackw

I found UEFI instrutions, see above.

You need to know which swap partition is either by UUID or device/drive/partition.
    It looks like Slackware uses the old /dev/sdXY not UUID. With multiple drives that can lead to issues if drives are not found by UEFI/BIOS in exactly same order every time.

I also have motherboards that promote a flash drive from hd3 when pluged in, to hd0 when I reboot. That changes every grub entry not using UUID. I sometimes have to manually edit grub as I boot as grub has wrong drive & does not work.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Grub2 Custom Menus is very helpful-
    The link: How to have a custom Grub 2 menu that is maintenance I'm reading it now.....thank you!

Beans

The reason why there is a BIOS boot partition is because the Slackware documentation recommended that I do that in order to have Grub instead of LILO for Slackware.
    The link you posted was to do a Legacy install on a GPT drive, installing boot code to the MBR when you should have done an EFI install on the GPT drive. Not sure why you did that as your other installs are EFI. If you had booted the Slackware installer in UEFI mode, you would have several options including installing elilo to the selected /boot/efi partition and it would have created an entry in the BIOS for you to select. If you wanted to use the Debian Grub to boot this, this would have been the option to select. Or you could have selected to not install either as you would not need Grub on Slackware if you were booting from Debian. If you installed elilo, you would have been able to select Slackware from the EFI menu on boot from the BIOS should the Debian bootloader fail. If you did not install a bootloader for Slackware, you would have simply had to run grub-mkconfig as root from Debian to add it to the Debian grub.cfg file. Some links below on installing Slackware UEFI.

file:///home/don/Downloads/set_up_grub_as_boot_loader_on_uefi_hardware-1.pdf

I installed Slackware UEFI and used elilo to create a boot entry in the BIOS firmware. I use Grub from Ubuntu to boot both systems and have no problems. Both are on a GPT disk with UEFI.
    Last edited by yancek; December 20th, 2023 at 12:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for explaining yancek.
    I followed those instructions because I thought it was the correct way to go. I didn't know to install Slackware in UEFI mode.
    The Slackware link says:
    To get Slackware to boot on UEFI machines, bypass the LILO installation and select ELILO installation when prompted during the install.

I'm not sure how I would use the Debian Grub to boot Slackware.
    In the meantime,I'll read the links you posted.

The .pdf didn't work for me as the file was not found.
    Pale Moon can't find the file at /home/don/Downloads/set_up_grub_as_boot_loader_on_uefi_hardware-1.pdf.

Do you recommend that I re-install Slackware?
    Last edited by UltimateCat; December 19th, 2023 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Additional details about a .pdf

Beans

Bad link on my part so the simplest way to find the Slackware UEFI is to do an online search with slackware documentation 15 uefi and it should be the first link you get.

The method I described in my earlier post is what I used when I installed Slackware, namely to use elilo and it put an entry in the BIOS firmware. I can then select it to boot Slackware that way. The way to boot Slackware from the Debian Grub menu is to have the Slackware drive attached and boot Debian and run the command as root (sudo):

Code:
    sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    Or use sudo update-grub which stub might also work on Debian? This should add Slackware to the Debian grub boot menu.

Beans
    Distro

Slackware is already in my Debian Grub Menu so that's the good news.

Do you recommend that I perform a fresh installation of Slackware 15?

Beans

You indicate your problems with this situation began when you installed LMDE. Are you using the LMDE as the primary bootloader or are you using Debian? If you are able to boot Slackware from whichever bootloader you are using, no need to reinstall. Using EFI on GPT drives is usually recommended as well as consistency, meaning all system EFI or all systems Legacy. As you have seen, booting a Legacy install of a Linux OS from an EFI install of another Linux OS on a separate drive is not a problem.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I'm using LMDE6 as the primary bootloader. Grub shows LMDE6 at the top, Debian second in the Grub Menu and my Slackware installation third in the Grub Menu list. All 3 distributions boot fine.

***It's baffeling to me why Debian and Slackware switch places in the Grub Menu when LMDE6 get's a new kernel or an update.***

Any idea's yancek why that is happening?

Slackware is missing the /etc/fstab file.....can one be created?

Beans

Debian and Slackware are each on separate hard drives, correct? Are they permanently connected in the same manner, same port when you update grub from LMDE?

You can boot and use the system without fstab. I'm quite surprised you don't have that file on Slackware. Yes, you can create the file for Slackware if you want, logged in to a terminal as root. You can check the fstab file in your other systems for a template or do an online search so you know which parameters you want to use. Need to use the correct UUID if you are using them as well as the correct drive/partition. I posted my entry for the Slackware partition below which shows it on partition 6 of an SSD drive

/dev/nvme0n1p6 / ext4 defaults 1 1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast