Thread: Linux compatible USB Bluetooth dongles?

Beans

Linux compatible USB Bluetooth dongles?

I've bought me many a bluetooth dongle over the years but the last few just won't work. A lot of 'm seem to work in the beginning when I try to connect something using bluetoothctl. However my devices can never really connect w/ the dongle. I have a very old one that works but if that one breaks I'm out of luck. There seems to be a problem with the fact that nowadays they "present" themselves as a good ol' Cambridge chip (or something like that) but they differ ever so slightly from the trusty old chips which breaks Linux compatibility.

Does anyone have a link to a cheap Aliexpress dongle that actually works? I don't trust the more "expansive" ones on Amazon that are reported to work w/ Linux.

P.S. I'm on Ubuntu 20.04 'Focal Fossa'
    Last edited by QIII; November 26th, 2023 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Implied vulgarity removed

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Linux compatible USB Bluetooth dongles?

Aliexpress may be all or part of your problem. I have a 1TB USB stick from them. It even identifies itself as a 1TB stick when you plug it in. Unfortunately, you can only format it to 8 gig. I got my money back and they told me to keep it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

IOgear GBU521, Edimax BT-8500. I would try anything other than Cambridge myself as they have been a pain in Linux over the years as every chipset they have released all used the same USB ID

Beans

deleted

I really wish the delete function in vBulletin was restored here.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; November 25th, 2023 at 09:16 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    deleted

I really wish the delete function in vBulletin was restored here.
    Just report the post you want deleted, telĺ us why, and if it makes sense to the mods it will be removed from public view.

Deleting posts or even editing posts after a later post has been added can cause problems of posts being "orphaned" and thus making a thread totally pointless.
    That is one reason why it is not allowed.

So please just report posts if you need to!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy31 View Post
    IOgear GBU521, Edimax BT-8500. I would try anything other than Cambridge myself as they have been a pain in Linux over the years as every chipset they have released all used the same USB ID
    Thanks for the tips. It's a mystery to my how those Cambridge dongles can work in Windows: like you said there're all different but all have the same USB ID. Maybe the manufacturer discards certain hardware changes if it don't work in Windows.

Anyway, the IOgear GBU521 is not for sale anymore. Is the Edimax BT-8500 really the only USB Bluetooth dongle we Linuxers can ome up with that'll work in Linux? What if they too are not for sale anymore?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

This one works in Ubuntu also https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0957NZNC2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy31 View Post
    This one works in Ubuntu also https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0957NZNC2
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    I can't give thumbs up in this forum so: thanks guys.

I live in Europe and stuff they sell on Amazon US is not per se for sale on Amazon Europe/The Netherlands. The Asus Bluetooth Dongle tip is a good one though. It's a regular, well known, bran. Asus devices are sold all over the world. I could find it on my local Amazon webstore (link).