Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help how to symlink two Drives

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: help how to symlink two Drives

What makes it a bit different is that you want to symlink to another install.
    Usually you have a totally separate data only partition and symlink all installs to that data partition.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

To "symlink", you are still going to have to mount it "somewhere" static into the filesystem, so you can create the symlinks to it... Then instead of me retyping what has already been said, you said that the explanation in Post #3 was: "I don’t have enough knowledge on following your instructions"... ?

Those instructions seemed fairly short, concise, and to the point. If you pasted that 'ln' command into: https://explainshell.com/ ... That would give you an explanation of what is going on there.

A short explanation of what that does, is it replaces the directory with the symlink, which points to where it really is mounted to and located at.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

To SeijiSensei and MAFoElffen
    Refer to Post #8 I mentioned I don’t have enough knowledge on following your instructions”
    I search in other Forums for answers but still need help with following.

Must I write these commands in .config/user-dirs.dirs with nano?

1 - (phl phl 27 Feb 26 2022) “phl” is this the username? What date is this?

2 - (/media/server1_name) is “server1_name”? Is this the the HDD?

Appreciate some help for this to work.
    Thank you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't see anyone saying anything about .config/user-dirs.dirs above.

The commands are in post #6. Open a terminal and copy/paste them ... except the parts that are fstab lines and need to be customized for your specific system. The command to get the information is also provided.

If this is beyond you currently, then you'll need to start building more basic skills. https://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php - start with chapter 1 and work through the first 250 or so pages to build some basic Linux knowledge. With Linux/Unix, it is extremely hard to jump between skill levels, especially if you skip the basics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12