Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with web browser issues...

Beans

Help with web browser issues...

Hi,

I've recently just installed ubuntu on my Toshiba Qosmio x505 laptop after having issues with speed using upgraded version of windows 10 from windows 7 the came with the laptop so I thought I'd give ubuntu a try

The installation was smooth and the software seems to run smooth and fast, until I use a web browser I start to get jagged random glitch pixelation all over the screen

I don't know my way around the software, but can follow directions

any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
    Steven

Beans

Re: Help with web browser issues...

Go to Settings -> About. Post info about OS Name, Processor, Graphics here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Or just show us:
    Code:
    inxi -SxxxGxxxCD
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

thanks, so I've attached a snap shot of it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ajgreeny; October 21st, 2023 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Large image removed

Beans

Here's the inxi...
    Last edited by ajgreeny; October 21st, 2023 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Large image removed

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Are you opposed to install the nVidia driver? also might not hurt to login as an X11 session as well.
    Wayland still has some maturing to do, especially with nVidia chips.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

I tried installing many times and versions I keep getting this message

is there more to installing than just double clicking on the file?
    Last edited by ajgreeny; October 21st, 2023 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Large image removed

Beans

Don't try to download and install the driver from NVidia's website. That package is basically for all distributions of Linux and therefore needs quite a bit of knowledge to use and install (you need to mark it as executable and run it from the shell / a terminal). In addition it basically needs to be reinstalled every time the kernel gets updated.

There's a simpler way. Go into the 'Software & Updates' application. It has a tab 'Additional Drivers'. It should offer a driver for download and installation that will install with less trouble and will be kept up to date.

Holger

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by seven59889 View Post
    I tried installing many times and versions I keep getting this message

is there more to installing than just double clicking on the file?
    Please don't post images of text. Copy/paste the text and post that instead, wrapped in "code-tags", which are available in the forum Advanced Editor '#' button. It works just like bold/italics, but columns are retained, so ZERO other formatting is needed. We are used to looking at text here. 1000 characters vs 250KB for the image. No comparison. Plus people trying to help you can easily copy the text and highlight things or perform their own searches if text is provided.

Text is much easier to work with on Linux and in these forums, unless the issue is specifically about a GUI and the image shows that specific issue.

I'll go away now.

Beans

this is the system details:

# System Details Report
    ---

## Report details
    - **Date generated:** 2023-10-26 21:36:06

## Hardware Information:
    - **Hardware Model:** TOSHIBA Qosmio X505
    - **Memory:** 6.0 GiB
    - **Processor:** Intel® Core™ i7 Q 720 × 8
    - **Graphics:** NVA3
    - **Disk Capacity:** 500.1 GB

## Software Information:
    - **Firmware Version:** V2.90
    - **OS Name:** Ubuntu 23.10
    - **OS Build:** (null)
    - **OS Type:** 64-bit
    - **GNOME Version:** 45.0
    - **Windowing System:** Wayland
    - **Kernel Version:** Linux 6.5.0-9-generic

someone advised me to get rid of this laptop and buy a new one already, so I thought I'd give linux a try and see what happenes

learning slowly....

so things seem to be running smoothly and system loads fast, but for some reason when I use either firefox or brave I get those random pixillation glitches across the screen and when I play a youtube video seems to be running smoothly even the previews but then it freezes and can't do anything other than doing a hard shut down

I thought nvidia needed updating but nothing shows up under Additional Drivers

don't know what else to do, does the system detail shows a flow or something i'm not aware of is it strong enough to run the system or should I get a new laptop?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast