Thread: How to boot AMD64 netboot tarball

Beans

Question How to boot AMD64 netboot tarball

I am trying to test install Ubuntu from this AMD64 Netboot tarball found on this page: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ser...-live/current/

There used to be `Mini ISO` but now there's a 133MB file: `mantic-netboot-amd64.tar.gz`

Edit: When I extract the tar.gz file, I get these files:
    Code:
    grub (Directory with one file: `grub.cfg`)
    pxelinux.cfg (Directory with one file: `default`)
    bootx64.efi
    grubx64.efi
    initrd
    ldlinux.c32
    linux
    pxelinux.0
    So, how can I boot this tarball through KVM virtual manager... do I have to convert this into ISO first? Thanks.
    Last edited by jagsdesai; August 10th, 2023 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Formatting

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to boot AMD64 netboot tarball

I have never experimented with this method of installing. I do understand that I tarball is a compressed file. Try putting the tarball into a folder and de-compressing it. You may end up with an image file that can be burnt to a USB memory stick..

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Exclamation Re: How to boot AMD64 netboot tarball

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Try putting the tarball into a folder and de-compressing it. You may end up with an image file that can be burnt to a USB memory stick..

Regards
    Guess I wasn't clear enough. When I extract the tarball file: `mantic-netboot-amd64.tar.gz`, instead of any image file, I get files as listed in my original post. Thanks.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: How to boot AMD64 netboot tarball

I just found an option to boot directly from kernel in kvm virtual manager. But it's just gonna download a complete ISO from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/

So it's not like what `Mini ISO` used to be, where you can select packages to install.

Attached Images Attached Images