Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GRUB failing to load kernel from 1st HDD when 2nd HDD changed

Beans

Re: GRUB failing to load kernel from 1st HDD when 2nd HDD changed

good catch on the UUID match. Correct that the newer drive started as a clone of the older. I was unaware that the cloning went so far as to make an outright impostor! These are supposed to be unique per device, no?

Next time I do that, I'll try to clone just the filesystem.

Thanks for the other info, but this seems to be what matters here. Could this be worked around easily by just editing the grub command?
    Last edited by AR_Kozz; June 22nd, 2023 at 12:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Cloning is more for copying system to a new drive & removing old drive.
    If keeping old drive you have to change UUIDs, update fstab, reinstall grub and anyplace else UUID is used.

Often better just to do a new install & restore from backups. Becomes good test that backups include everything you need to fully restore system, when you still have old drive to add any missing data. Backup at minimum should include /home, all your hidden user configuration files, user data & list of installed apps. If server apps in / (root) like database or web, those also need to be backed up. If you edited system wide setting in /etc, back those up, but if new version, you may not want to just restore those as sometimes things change.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

it appears one drive was cloned as the UUID for sda5 and sdb5 is identical. Shown on lines 237, 203, 247 are the UUIDs in different locations for sda4. THat same UUID is shown for sdb5 on lines 208, 314 and 324.
    Good catch. Correct, the newer filesystem started as a clone of the older. I was unaware this would cause GRUB to be unable to tell the difference between them.

Before changing the UUID's, I tried simply working around by editing the GRUB command. That eventually succeeded in booting the correct root partition, but then it reverted to the old home partition. Which interestingly still worked.

I thought I might fix that by pointing fstab to the correct /dev/sdx, but went ahead and changed the UUIDs instead.

I didn't change the UUID for swap. Unless someone jumps up within the next few hours saying I should, I'll mark as solved. Thanks for all the kind help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12