Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Statistics Software do you recommend?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question What Statistics Software do you recommend?

I would like to know the softwares that you use for statistics (excluding SPSS, obviously) or statistical computations on Linux.

Thanks!
    Educator, UP College of Education
    Professional Member, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) International
    NetBeans Platform Certified Associate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: What Statistics Software do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by MakubeX
    I would like to know the softwares that you use for statistics (excluding SPSS, obviously) or statistical computations on Linux.

Thanks!
    Don't think that there is so much available, according to my knowledge the only still actively maintained package is pspp (PSPP). I could be wrong however...

That's one of the reasons I keep dual booting with XP: I need SPSS for University.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

A couple notable ones. You can download and run the open-source version of S-plus, also known as "R" on linux. You will find it packaged as R-base. Someone is currently working on getting the linux version of WinBUGS operating through R. Not promising at the moment.

I believe that a linux version of SAS is available (but non-free).

You can (I have) bought Matlab and install the statistics toolkit. Ditto for Maple.

Did you have a particular software package in mind?
    Kind Regards
    Manny C
    "We are on the road to producing a race of men too mentally modest to believe in the multiplication table." G.K. Chesterton
    --
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10, KDE 3.5.0, Kernel 2.6.12-10-386, Compaq Presario 2267ap, RLU #399975.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

you might find some useful info here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuScientists

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations!
    Educator, UP College of Education
    Professional Member, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) International
    NetBeans Platform Certified Associate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Octave has some statistics. Not many, some. But it had cover my needs.

Beans

I have installed SPSS 11.5 under Linux using codeweavers cxoffice 6.1.0. (commercial version of wine). I used the same botlle (virtual windwos c: disk) that I installed office 2000 on. Everything seems to work allright except for the graph functions. I can can load data, analyze it, produce tables with output etc. Only producing graphs seems problematic. The install is going smoothly, asking for a serial etc.
    So if you can miss graphs, SPSS seems to work allright. The more people us SPSS with cxoffice, the bigger the chance that they will start support on it.
    Greetings,
    Thomas.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by tommie74 View Post
    I have installed SPSS 11.5 under Linux using codeweavers cxoffice 6.1.0. (commercial version of wine). I used the same botlle (virtual windwos c: disk) that I installed office 2000 on. Everything seems to work allright except for the graph functions. I can can load data, analyze it, produce tables with output etc. Only producing graphs seems problematic. The install is going smoothly, asking for a serial etc.
    So if you can miss graphs, SPSS seems to work allright. The more people us SPSS with cxoffice, the bigger the chance that they will start support on it.
    Greetings,
    Thomas.
    Thanks for the information, but is there any particular reason you posted the exact same thing in 4 diferent threads?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...77&postcount=7
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...49&postcount=2
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...74&postcount=3
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...76&postcount=5

And while it may be true that if more people use SPSS with crossover than it will be better supported, wouldn't it be better to support a program that actually runs natively (with functioning graphing capabilities) on linux if that is the OS of choice? Or if more people tell the makers of SPSS that they want a Linux version instead?
    This looks nothing like my signature...
    My Page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I raccomend R (package r-base). You can also find matlab for linux, if you're used to that and want to make your passage to linux easyer
    Last edited by zasf; December 10th, 2007 at 08:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I highly recommend R for anyone looking to do more "high powered" or customized work in statistics.

I've used R, SAS, and Minitab (R on both, SAS, Minitab on Windows) and while SAS can be great, I think SAS is better at set/well-defined analyses whereas R is better for custom work. R is also designed as a language/environment where the SAS macro facility left me feeling like it was an add-on. Custom scripting is much closer to the everyday in R.
    Euler_fan
    Ubuntu User # 15369 at the Ubuntu Counter Project
    Woot for GPG

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast