Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kernel & Nvidia update has xfwm4 segfaulting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Kernel & Nvidia update has xfwm4 segfaulting

Issue just created: https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4/-/issues/727

I'm not sure how long I'll stick with it. It's very hard to use this computer without a window manager, though Chromium loads sufficiently large that it's mostly working. It's probably time to look for a new distro anyway, because I'm not a fan of snaps, as you might have noticed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

LOL!!! Yes. I noticed that in that report. I sincerely applaud what I saw there. I think we might have similar backgrounds in some things. I saw from the original install, that you have a lot of experience using Ubuntu for very many years.

What I suspect, your problem won't matter if you change to Debian, Arch, RHEL, SUSE... It is related to upstream xfce4 itself... I went through related Bug Reports for all distro's. Although with versioning of the framework, it could be resolved just by those.

Like me, you have been a Linux User for many years. From time to time, things just happen during updates. People make mistakes. We are all human. I face this very often doing development cycle testing, verifications, etc.

This seems to be a bad regression call hidden somewhere in the code, where it is making a bad call to something, caused by a 'perfect storm' type of conditions. Reporting that as a Bug "somewhere" helps, not just you, but others that might be caught up and affected by that. That is basically how Linux grows and gets better. Someone has to take a step to make that happen.

I understand that it means a bit of work and time to do that. I submit Bug Reports many times over the years. Especially in my support of the Linux Graphics Layer. I try to look at Linux as a whole.

Reporting this as a Bug Report-- You 'can' help in that way. Since xfce4 is upstream (XFCE), reporting it through Launchpad.net will get Ubuntu, Debian and XFCE working on it to find out what is wrong, and get it corrected.

See the logic in that?
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 2nd, 2023 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Dang <N> key sticks...

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I see, I reported in the wrong place. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...h/+bug/2022818

I see the value in reporting the bug, but I also want to get my main machine working normally again. I'm trying to decide how long I should wait to see if Launchpad finds a quick solution, or if I should get a new SSD for a new OS and set the current one aside. Big SSDs have gotten cheap.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: Kernel & Nvidia update has xfwm4 segfaulting

I found a workaround! The Fluxbox window manager is minimal enough that it interferes very little with xfce and helps a lot.

1. Start a terminal window. Right-click on the desktop and point to the Applications menu if necessary. Starting a new window manager has to be done from X, not from a ctrl-alt terminal.
    2. The first time, run `sudo apt install fluxbox`
    3. Run fluxbox.
    4. Fluxbox showed me its own panel, but it also restored Xfce's! So I right-clicked on the Fluxbox panel and hid it.

Everything's nearly normal now. Window headings look a little weird and the control menu (upper-left) doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe that's normal with Fluxbox. Chromium is also having an issue where dropdown menus flicker and disappear immediately. I don't know if that's related; my main browser is Firefox.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Maybe they can change that to xcfe4... Or maybe they will have you refile that against that. IDK. Dealing with a few personal fires at the moment.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: Kernel & Nvidia update has xfwm4 segfaulting

Someone kindly made a suggestion on the XFCE site. It seems to have worked:

Code:
    xfconf-query -p /general/vblank_mode -c xfwm4 -s off

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm happy that you found some resolution to that. Curious just what that command did to resolve that.

For my own curiosity and learning what worked for that... Could you please post the link to that so I can see what it did?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

"disabling GL vblank" is what somebody said it's for, in the link at the top of page 2 in this thread, which I'm posting again here:

https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4/-/issues/727
    Last edited by Ken_g6; June 14th, 2023 at 09:53 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12