Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade from 20.x to 22.x broke, system won't boot (VirtualBox issue?)

Beans

Upgrade from 20.x to 22.x broke, system won't boot (VirtualBox issue?)

Hello,

I've been running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS for a while. It kept wanting to upgrade, so I finally did. It ran me through the upgrade wizard, downloading and installing the new OS, replacing FF with the FF snap, migrating user data, updating the grub config, etc. Then it rebooted. My bootloader was fine, and I booted into Ubuntu. However, it brought me to an Ubuntu splash screen I have not seen before, and just sat there. No HID support, no user input options. I let it set for over 24 hours, just in case it was trying to do...something...but no, it was stuck. Rebooting to Ubuntu brought me to the same place, same result. I let it sit for hours more, but still nothing. Subsequent reboot attempts just show the realtime initialization log output, with the last entry being:
    "[FAILED] Failed to start LSB: VirtualBox Linux kernel module"

I did have VirtualBox installed on v20. Is this causing the boot sequence to break somehow, post-upgrade? Any ideas how I might fix this?

Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Upgrade from 20.x to 22.x broke, system won't boot (VirtualBox issue?)

The full error for that is:
    Code:
    [FAILED] Failed to start LSB: VirtualBox Linux kernel module.
    See 'systemctl status virtualbox.service' for details.
    Please post he output of
    Code:
    sudo systemctl status virtualbox.service | grep .

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Sorry. Meanwhile, back at the ranch... Then I noticed your title, where it says "it won't boot."

Boot to the Grub Menu. Choose Advanced > Select a Rescue option. Select enable Networking. Then select Root shell...

Step one
    Code:
    modprobe vboxdrv
    Reboot and test. If that didn't work, then back to rescue mode root prompt

Step 2
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    Reboot and test. If that didn't work, then back to rescue mode root prompt

Step 3
    Code:
    apt install --reinstall virtualbox
    Reboot and test.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Okay, I'll try those now. While waiting, I may have broken things more...

I noticed that I can boot with kernel v5.15.0-71 (presumably the old version I was running), so I did that, and removed VirtualBox via apt. On boot to the new kernel version (5.19.0-41), it now just tells me sector count, then clears the screen, and hangs, with the text cursor's blink even stopping. Then I tried recovery mode on kernel 5.19, and ran autoremove to see what that would suggest. It prompted to remove vboxnetadp.ko and vboxnetflt.ko . What the heck, it's already broken, right? I told it to do that. The result was the same as before the autoremove. No more Virtualbox error, just sector count, clear screen, then frozen text cursor.

Update: The first two returned errors, since it no longer knows what virtualbox is (my fault). Enable networking isn't working...still no network connectivity when I do that, so apt can't get anything. I'll keep working on that.
    Last edited by cyberminion; May 18th, 2023 at 05:15 AM.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Upgrade from 20.x to 22.x broke, system won't boot (VirtualBox issue?)

At first I thought it was a networking issue, but no, it is working. However, after telling me how large the install will be...

[It breaks.

also it can't seem to access any third party repos, but that is probably just how it works in this environment.

Any ideas?

Thank you!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ajgreeny; May 19th, 2023 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Large images removed

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Try this first:
    Code:
    ping -c 4 www.google.com
    ping -c 4 8.8.8.8

Beans

Well.

Okay, you're right. I was wrong that I was wrong about the network connection working. Nothing.

Just to verify, I did the same on a different OS using the same hardware and network connection. That worked fine.

So Ubuntu's rescue environment isn't connecting to the network. Now what?

Should I just be overwriting this mess with a fresh OS, rather than spending hundreds of hours troubleshooting?

EDIT: The network connection also works when I boot to Ubuntu's rescue environment under the older kernel, v5.15.0-71. What would happen if I use apt to reinstall Virtualbox under that kernel version?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ajgreeny; May 19th, 2023 at 07:59 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Code:
    root@Ub-APH3:~#
    Is that from the Rescue Mode "Root Prompt"? If so, then type "exit"... To get back to the Rescue Menu > Select "Enable Networking"... Then go back to the "Root Prompt" and try again.

I put that in my instructions above, but you night not have seen that...

Beans

Yes. I actually did see, and do, that.

Upon entering the rescue environment, I first select the "enable networking" option. Some output flashes on the screen too quickly for me to read, then it clears, and brings me back to the recovery environment menu. I then select "root prompt" and do these tests. This process did work when using the old kernel version. However, I still couldn't ping out on the new kernel version's rescue environment.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

So, does that mean with the older kernel, you could run and ping out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast