Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade from 20.x to 22.x broke, system won't boot (VirtualBox issue?)

Beans

Re: Upgrade from 20.x to 22.x broke, system won't boot (VirtualBox issue?)

Correct. It works with the older kernel, just not the new one.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I've moved the thread to Virtualisation as it is a better fit.

I have Vbox 7 on my system so will try updating my VM to the same kernel you are having trouble with to see if there may be a kernel incompatibility with my version of VBox.
    Which VBox version are you using?

Beans

Hi,

I think I was running VBox 6.1.38. I installed the repo's latest stable version in April, 2023. It has now been uninstalled, but perhaps the damage to the new kernel is already done?

I don't believe I even built any VMs on this system. Just installed it, planning to use it in the future.
    Last edited by cyberminion; May 19th, 2023 at 08:20 AM. Reason: stable version

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thread moved back to Installation & Upgrades. which is more appropriate and a better fit.
    My apologies for the first move; I thought the OS in question was a VM running in VBox, but that was incorrect I now believe.

Beans

Correct, the Ubuntu upgrade in question was running natively. The only reason VirtualBox entered into the discussion was that when the host OS tried to boot (immediately after the upgrade), it was showing an error related to VirtualBox just before the procedure would hang.

At this point, should I just be installing a fresh 22.x OS over this wrecked install?
    Last edited by cyberminion; May 20th, 2023 at 03:01 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Having scanned back through this thread it seems possible that your version of VBox is incompatible with the new kernel version that you have moved to.

Before a total reinstall of your system i suggest you purge the current install of VBox to totally get rid of everything, then install VBox version 7 from the VBox website at https://download.virtualbox.org/virt...ammy_amd64.deb and install that. All your VMs will remain in your home wherever you put them and should run in the new version 7 without a problem.

I don't use VBox very much now having moved almost entirely to KVM/QEMU but the one VM I do use it for runs excellently with no problems at all, and has never shown a problem with my kernels, of which I have both the 5.15 and 5.19 series available.

Beans

So I did previously uninstall it via the recovery environment under the new kernel version. However, the new kernel's recovery environment can't connect to the network, so I can't install it through there.

I did just try reinstalling it under the old kernel's recovery environment. It installed successfully, but the upgraded system still can't boot. I just get to see that that VirtualBox error once again, just prior to the boot process hanging, as it always has.

As I reminder, I can also still boot into the OS GUI under the old kernel version, too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12