Thread: Slow internet connection How to investigate?

Beans

Slow internet connection How to investigate?

Hi. About 2 days ago the internet on my laptop (dell vostro 3550/Ubuntu 22.04) suddenly became pretty slow. Despite that, the internet is working fine when connect from smartphone (android). So, how can i investigate the problem? Where to begin? I tried the following step-by-step and coudn't figure it out> https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/begi...shooting-linux I appreciate any help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Slow internet connection How to investigate?

Isolate where the issue lies first.
    That means forget the internet for now. How fast is the connection between the computer and the router?
    How fast is the connection between 2 computers on the same LAN?
    Also, test with wired connectivity, don't bother with wifi.
    If you see the wired connection is working great, then it is time to troubleshoot wifi. That is much harder, since there are lots of things that can slow wifi outside our control (think other devices and neighbors and building materials).
    Use iperf3 to do the testing.

Assuming everything on your LAN is fine, it would also help to know what bandwidth you pay the ISP to provide - up/down and what a speed test results.

for example, I pay for 30/6 Mbps, here's a current speedtest:
    Code:
    $ speedtest-cli 
    Testing download speed................................................................................
    Download: 29.53 Mbit/s
    Testing upload speed................................................................................................
    Upload: 6.16 Mbit/s
    On my LAN, I see 920 Mbps between physical systems
    Code:
    [ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr
    [  5]   0.00-10.04  sec  0.00 Bytes  0.00 bits/sec                  sender
    [  5]   0.00-10.04  sec  1.10 GBytes   938 Mbits/sec                  receiver
    and 45 Gbps between virtual machines:
    Code:
    [  5]   0.00-10.00  sec  52.9 GBytes  45.5 Gbits/sec    0             sender
    [  5]   0.00-10.04  sec  52.9 GBytes  45.3 Gbits/sec                  receiver
    Seems everything is working well.
    Last edited by TheFu; April 29th, 2023 at 09:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Slow internet connection How to investigate?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Isolate where the issue lies first.
    That means forget the internet for now. How fast is the connection between the computer and the router?
    How fast is the connection between 2 computers on the same LAN?
    Also, test with wired connectivity, don't bother with wifi.
    If you see the wired connection is working great, then it is time to troubleshoot wifi. That is much harder, since there are lots of things that can slow wifi outside our control (think other devices and neighbors and building materials).
    Use iperf3 to do the testing.

Assuming everything on your LAN is fine, it would also help to know what bandwidth you pay the ISP to provide - up/down and what a speed test results.

for example, I pay for 30/6 Mbps, here's a current speedtest:
    Code:
    $ speedtest-cli 
    Testing download speed................................................................................
    Download: 29.53 Mbit/s
    Testing upload speed................................................................................................
    Upload: 6.16 Mbit/s
    On my LAN, I see 920 Mbps between physical systems
    Code:
    [  5]   0.00-10.04  sec  0.00 Bytes  0.00 bits/sec                  sender
    [  5]   0.00-10.04  sec  1.10 GBytes   938 Mbits/sec                  receiver
    and 45 Gbps between virtual machines:
    Code:
    [  5]   0.00-10.00  sec  52.9 GBytes  45.5 Gbits/sec    0             sender
    [  5]   0.00-10.04  sec  52.9 GBytes  45.3 Gbits/sec                  receiver
    Seems everything is working well.
    Thanks TheFu for the info. Regards and cheers!
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread