Thread: 22.05 Flash BIOS when using full-disk LVM encryption

Beans

22.05 Flash BIOS when using full-disk LVM encryption

On the laptop vendor site there is a "critical" BIOS update, but they only provide .exe and a raw BIOS image which can be used by BIOS tool. As a linux user I guess I need to use the raw image.

There is a message "Disable BitLocker during BIOS upgrade" because otherwise a recovery key will be required. Bitlocker is a Windows-specific encryption.

My question is: Does it apply to Linux LVM full-disk encryption chosen during installation of Ubuntu? Can I safely flash the BIOS, do I need some kind of a recovery key? I don't want to be locked out from PC.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: 22.05 Flash BIOS when using full-disk LVM encryption

You can create and use a WinPE system on a USB pendrive to flash a new BIOS.

But if you need to turn off Bitlocker, I don't know if that can be done from WinPE. In other words, you may need Windows for that purpose.

I know that many Dell computers have a feature to manage BIOS update without Windows, but I don't know if other computer brands have that feature. What computer is it (brand name and model)?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    You can create and use a WinPE system on a USB pendrive to flash a new BIOS.

But if you need to turn off Bitlocker, I don't know if that can be done from WinPE. In other words, you may need Windows for that purpose.

I know that many Dell computers have a feature to manage BIOS update without Windows, but I don't know if other computer brands have that feature. What computer is it (brand name and model)?
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/en...laptop/drivers

Why would I need Windows if I can download a raw image (.rcv) and flash it in BIOS? I have only Ubuntu with LVM encryption. Maybe it wasn't clear in my POST, I have neither BitLocker nor Windows, so I do not have to disable BitLocker. My question was purely about what is a risk of flashing BIOS when there is an LVM encryption.
    Last edited by jacek.gajek; April 25th, 2023 at 02:25 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Fine, you have a Dell, and in many models (particularly newer models) it is possible to update the BIOS without Windows. It depends on the BIOS system of that particular Dell model, and otherwise WinPE is your friend. I have a Dell, where I updated the BIOS successfully. I have a USB pendrive bootable with WinPE but did not need it for that Dell.

I don't think that LVM encryption has anything to do with the BIOS, it is a logical layer in a partition on a drive, so updating [the BIOS] should not interfere with LVM unless it would make it impossible to run in the installed boot mode or run the drive in the correct mode for Linux (ahci), and I really don't think that would happen.

But I cannot guarantee success, so please backup everything that you cannot afford to lose (documents, pictures ...) before starting to update the BIOS. You should have a backup anyway, because the drive might fail or the LVM encryption might get corrupted without any warning.