Thread: Fedora 38 is Great!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Red face Fedora 38 is Great!

Loaded Fedora 38 Workstation and all is well. A fresh install replacing 37. Gnome, the default for Workstation, is smooth and functions as expected.

With this install, I'm purposefully keeping it simple. Pulling packages (RPM's) from Fedora repos.
    I added one photo application, Shot Well. Otherwise, I am using the default applications plus Google Chrome (RPM) and the suite of applications built into Chrome.

No Flathub or Flatpaks. Testing how the (mostly) vanilla install meets my needs.

Very smooth. Nice polish. Great GNU/Linux distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 LTS | Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD
    Fedora 40 | Lenovo Edge 15 | i5 1.7Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 4400 | 6GB RAM | 1TB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Fedora 38 is Great!

Not a support request , moved to UL&OS Chat.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Speaking of other OSes, I'm really enjoying EndeavourOS + xfce. I haven't tried Fedora for many years, maybe I should check it out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    Speaking of other OSes, I'm really enjoying EndeavourOS + xfce.
    My wife just loves it as well, I would recommend this to a newer Linux user.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would not install Fedora if you paid me to! I am joking!

It is my understanding that Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) is based on the principle of giving the user choice. I cannot understand why so many Linux users take sides and start disputes.

At the moment the only reason I would have for installing Fedora is curiosity. I am curious about Fedora Silverblue. I do like the idea of an immutable OS. Canonical actually did develop an immutable OS some years ago. It was called Ubuntu Personal. And it worked. But development was discontinued. The desktop version anyway. Ubuntu core is an immutable OS but lacking a desktop.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I have no doubt that Fedora isn't a good Linux distro although I don't need bleeding edge.

I use old computers and Ubuntu and Ubuntu flavors work well for what I use a computer for.

I don't mind Snaps and Snaps are improving leastwise the Snaps I use work well on my old computers.

My 2 cents worth.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

I tried Fedora on and off but something or other always seem to be broken and the support cycle is short, their software repos also seems to have less than Ubuntu's. I remember having a hard time to try to hunt down an old copy of gcc to compile some software (without having to compile gcc first) it was readily available in Ubuntu . If I want bleeding edge I would use arch, strangely it is more stable and doesn't need to reinstall in 9 months (or less). Of course AUR has all kinds of cool stuffs if you don't mind occasional breakage (which usually doesn't affect the main system) My two cents
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 23rd, 2023 at 12:47 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Tried Kubuntu, both LTS and Lunar. Both had trouble with the panel. Installed Fedora 38 KDE and it so far is perfect. Works every time without issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    ...doesn't need to reinstall in 9 months...
    Each Fedora release is supported for at least 12 months. With the release of Fedora 38, within a month Fedora 36 will no longer be supported. Fedora 37 is still supported. If the release is delayed, then even longer support with the older version. Though Fedora is fairly close with a 6 month cycle of release.

In the past I have upgraded ever other release, so a year of one supported Fedora version. My basic (almost vanilla) install of Fedora Workstation have been stable. So I can't resist loading the latest release and do upgrade roughly every 6 months

@grahammechanical I like working in the two different distros of Debian and Fedora. With Debian, a solid distro you set up and have for awhile - nice daily driver And Fedora is fun to work in and explore
    Last edited by BBQdave; April 25th, 2023 at 01:39 AM. Reason: two distros
    Ubuntu 24.04 LTS | Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD
    Fedora 40 | Lenovo Edge 15 | i5 1.7Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 4400 | 6GB RAM | 1TB HDD