Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screen blank after suspend with AMD video card Ubuntu 22.04.2

Beans

Screen blank after suspend with AMD video card Ubuntu 22.04.2

My screen does not come back after suspend. I have seen people describing this with NVIDIA cards, but I have AMD. This had not happened for ~3 weeks since I built my PC, but started in the last couple of days after I installed MATE. Obviously I suspected MATE had altered something, so I uninstalled it, but the problem persists. For now I have changed my settings so my computer (desktop) does not go to sleep automatically. Curious if anyone else has had this problem.

Here is the result of lshw -c video

*-display UNCLAIMED
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590]
    vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
    version: e7
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    resources: iomemory:400-3ff iomemory:420-41f memory:4000000000-41ffffffff memory:4200000000-42001fffff ioport:7000(size=256) memory:86200000-8623ffff memory:86240000-8625ffff
    *-graphics
    product: EFI VGA
    physical id: 2
    logical name: /dev/fb0
    capabilities: fb
    configuration: depth=32 resolution=1920,1080

Side note: I tried originally to install the amdgpu drivers provided by AMD, but ran into dependency errors and ended up uninstalling them. But this was a few weeks ago and did not cause this error at the time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Screen blank after suspend with AMD video card Ubuntu 22.04.2

Hmmm. Unclaimed for AMD?

Please post the ouput of:
    Code:
    sudo dmesg | grep -i 'amdgpu\|radeon'
    sudo lsmod | grep -i 'amd\|radeon'
    echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
    grep . /sys/module/*_idle/parameters/max_cstate
    ls /sys/module/*_idle/parameters/max_cstate
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; April 12th, 2023 at 08:28 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Below is the output. The first two commands did not yield anything.

$ sudo dmesg | grep -i 'amdgpu\|radeon'
    $ sudo lsmod | grep -i 'amd\|radeon'
    $ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
    x11
    $ grep . /sys/module/*_idle/parameters/max_cstate
    $ ls /sys/module/*_idle/parameters/max_cstate
    /sys/module/intel_idle/parameters/max_cstate

Beans

Update: I seem to have fixed the problem. By following this post I ran
    Code:
    sudo modprobe amdgpu
    This caused an error and logged me out, but when I logged back, dmesg was now showing the amdgpu drivers. I also ran lshw -c video to confirm, and the display was no longer unclaimed, and configuration was showing driver=amdgpu. Most importantly, the computer comes back from suspension with the display working. All good for now. Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Exactly what I was going to suggest if the amdgpu driver were not loaded. LOL.

Glad that it is now working for you. If it has any other problems, please feel free to post more on this. There is a Kernel Boot parameter you can add "if needed".

Test it a bit to make sure if it is resolved.

If this is now solved to your satisfaction, then please use the "Thread Tools" link at the upper right of the page to mark this as Solved.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

It's not quite resolved. Overnight I had the power settings set to suspend automatically, and when I tried to reawaken the computer I ran into the problem again. Somehow the config seems to have reverted. I ran lshw -c video, and it showed the display was once again unclaimed. Running modprobe amdgpu gave me the same result as before: logged me out, but when I got back in the display was claimed, and the amdgpu driver was loaded. Is there some step that I need to take so the config is saved? I don't know why it would revert like that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The whole answer that covers everything:
    Please do this:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/grub
    Change this line to this:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="-- quiet splash intel_idle.max_cstate=4"
    Save and exit, then...
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    sudo modprobe amdgpu
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    sudo echo "amdgpu" >> /etc/module-load.d/modules.conf
    sudo reboot

Beans

Thank you for your help on this. I ran these commands, but I got a list of possible firmware missing after sudo update-initramfs -u. After reboot, I run into the same problem. Current output right after reboot from
    Code:
    $ sudo lshw -c video
      *-display UNCLAIMED       
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590]
           vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
           version: e7
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list
           configuration: latency=0
           resources: iomemory:400-3ff iomemory:420-41f memory:4000000000-41ffffffff memory:4200000000-42001fffff ioport:7000(size=256) memory:86200000-8623ffff memory:86240000-8625ffff
      *-graphics
           product: EFI VGA
           physical id: 2
           logical name: /dev/fb0
           capabilities: fb
           configuration: depth=32 resolution=1920,1080

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fimy View Post
    I ran these commands, but I got a list of possible firmware missing after sudo update-initramfs -u.
    And what did the list say? That may be helpful to know what the error said...

Beans

Thank you. Here is the list:
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/ip_discovery.bin for module amdgpu
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega10_cap.bin for module amdgpu
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_cap.bin for module amdgpu
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_cap.bin for module amdgpu
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/aldebaran_cap.bin for module amdgpu
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_0_toc.bin for module amdgpu
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes1.bin for module amdgpu
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes.bin for module amdgpu
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_mes.bin for module amdgpu
    grep: /usr/share/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-mate-logo/ubuntu-mate-logo.plymouth: No such file or directory
    W: plymouth module (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/plymouth//.so) missing, skipping that theme.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast