Thread: BPF invalid name_offset upon install of 22.0.4

Beans

BPF invalid name_offset upon install of 22.0.4

Recently I updated from 20 to 22, as my job required it for their laptops. However, during the install, something broke. Now, when I try to boot, it repeatedly spits out BPF: invalid name_offset and then drops to a shell. Through a bit more investigating, I found that its taking in a UUID in the boot arguments, and that UUID doesn't exist (maybe it got nuked in the install). I configured a flash drive with 22, and attempted to repair the install from there--I found where the corrupted install was mounted and attempted to run dpkg --configure -a with that mount as the instdir, but it gives me the error "cannot create /dev/null." I know this error comes from /dev/null being transformed from what it normally is into a regular file, so I removed it and recreated it with a mknod, but it gives me the same error.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would just overwrite the original OS with the flash drive install, but that would also remove the admin controls they have over it and I think that would get me in trouble. I'm a remote worker so I can't go to IT for a while...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: BPF invalid name_offset upon install of 22.0.4

Please share what commands and mounts you are using for the chroot of the system.

This error usually comes up when a system has kernel module loading errors... Have you tried, at the Grub2 menu, selected the "Advanced Options..." and tried booting from an older Linux Kernel version?

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags