Thread: Firefox browser seems to hang, but tabs work.

Beans

Firefox browser seems to hang, but tabs work.

I am on Ubuntu 20.04 running the unity favour. I am using it on a Dell Precision with a 4th gen I7, 16gb ram and m4800 graphics card. Firefox is on 110.0.1 version. Not snap version.

For quite a few months now Firefox seems to hang on the browser controls/buttons, but the tab I am on at the time has no problem. The mouse will move the page up or down as regular, video will play well if watching one.

The problem is when I go to another tab, instead of opening/going to the next tab in an instant, it will take more than 4 minutes(timed today) to show that tab. This is a tab already on firefox.

Before this usually only happen when firefox was open for a few days, since yesterday it seems to be happening every few hours.

Ubuntu system monitor does not seem to show any excess use of memory or cpu, but firefox does seem to disappear from the monitor for a minute or two.

This only seems to slow down the firefox controls/extensions buttons, but not the tabs themselves. A reboot of firefox does fix the problem. The one time I got the firefox task manager open it did not show excess use, but seemed to be almost half missing/not all there compared to normal use.

I have Opera browser open for the same periods of time and it does not have any problems like this.

Ubuntu itself also works normally with no slow down.

I have three bars/lines on top of the firefox browser, first is the old type file,history,tools/help. The second is the tabs open line/bar and the third is the search/extension bar. It is these three bars that stop/slow way down.
    Last edited by crip720; March 11th, 2023 at 09:37 PM. Reason: more info

Beans

Re: Firefox browser seems to hang, but tabs work.

Maybe you should try clean the cache and cookies and restart firefox ?
    go to History > Clear recent history

Beans

I will try that and report back in a few days. Thank you.

Beans

Firefox lasted for 4 days since I cleared cache and cookies. This time it seemed to be a complete freeze of firefox except the mouse would move the page up or down. Video would not work this time or links not opening on/in the tab. When this started Firefox would last three or four days and then takes minutes to move to a tab, but the tab/page would work when on it. When it happens instead of the tab I am on/using being white in colour the tab is a light blue. Do not know if this means something or just odd. I have been using firefox on Unbutu since firefox 4, and firefox has not acted this way. I have had tabs, like facebook that would slow down firefox a bit but just closing that tab would fix it. This seems to be a firefox only problem.
    Last edited by crip720; March 16th, 2023 at 06:45 PM.