Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to Ubuntu Pro for a more secure system???

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Upgrade to Ubuntu Pro for a more secure system???

Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed, but for about a week now I've been getting the following message whenever I update my software via the terminal:

Get more security updates through Ubuntu Pro with 'esm-apps' enabled:
    libimage-magick-perl imagemagick libopenexr25 libmagickcore-6.q16-6-extra
    libimage-magick-q16-perl libmagickwand-6.q16-6 imagemagick-6.q16
    libeditorconfig0 libmagickcore-6.q16-6 imagemagick-6-common
    Learn more about Ubuntu Pro at https://ubuntu.com/pro

So now I have to pay for a subscription in order to keep my PC secure??? Wow, just wow.

Beans

Re: Upgrade to Ubuntu Pro for a more secure system???

Quote Originally Posted by operator-error View Post
    So now I have to pay for a subscription in order to keep my PC secure??? Wow, just wow.
    Yes, it's been discussed many times before.
    And, as we have said before, you have misinterpreted the message.

You have lost nothing.
    EVERYTHING you had for free before is still free. All packages in Main get free security patches via the Security Repo. Nothing there has changed.

But what about all your software that was not in Main? What about Universe?
    Well, you were simply not getting security patches for those. And you did not know.
    Now you know.
    That's all that the scary output is saying.

Beans

And, if you scroll down on that web site you posted, you'll see that the Ubuntu Pro subscription is free for personal use, for up to 5 machines for 10 years instead of 5 for LTS, plus other benefits. I think Canonical is being quite generous here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by operator-error View Post
    ...So now I have to pay for a subscription in order to keep my PC secure???...
    No, you won't have to pay anything unless you use it on more than 5 physical machines. You just have to open an account by registering with an email address.

Quote Originally Posted by papakanush2 View Post
    ... I think Canonical is being quite generous here.
    +1. Very generous in my opinion. I have 2 laptops (physical machines) with a total of 5 Ubuntu installations. One laptop has 3 Ubuntu installs, Bionic, Focal and Jammy; the second has 2 installs, Ubuntu Jammy and Xubuntu Jammy, all of these installations are using the ESM updates. Though I should note any Xubuntu installs will have unsupported packages eventually, and when Xubuntu support ends I'll likely convert those installations over to a more basic Ubuntu system and add openbox or I3wm to them.

@OP, All this extended support on 5 Ubuntu installations on 2 laptops has not cost me anything at all financially.
    The subscription also enables me to use the kernel livepatch service (though I disable that one; I'm not sure I really need such a service) along with a realtime kernel and other security options more useful for business users. I generally only use the two ESM support options though there are other options/services available as well.

Regards, yeti.

Beans

I signed up for the free Ubuntu Pro. I see one can detach your machine from Ubuntu Pro in the Software & Updates app but on the Ubuntu Pro dashboard...

https://ubuntu.com/pro/dashboard

...I see no way to do that. I've found this question on both AskUbuntu and Reddit but not one answer.

Don't forget to detach if you reinstall .

EDIT: I understand that one can use "sudo pro detach".
    Last edited by donald187; March 15th, 2023 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Added sudo pro detach statement.

Beans

I'm actually fairly amazed that Ubuntu can offer this free for personal use. I mean patching takes people, and people take money.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by donald187 View Post
    ... I see one can detach your machine from Ubuntu Pro in the Software & Updates app but [not] on the Ubuntu Pro dashboard ....
    I assume you mean "not" on the Ubuntu Pro dashboard. I cannot see a listing of attached installations, just the number of active machines. However there is a link there to a guide showing how to set up a pro subscription and along with "pro --help" there is a "detach" command. If for some reason the Software & Updates GUI fails an installation could be detached from either a terminal or from the Linux console.

As well as doing so in Software & Updates this can also be done in the terminal/console with...
    Code:
    sudo pro detach [YOUR_TOKEN]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yetimon_64 View Post
    I assume you mean "not" on the Ubuntu Pro dashboard.
    Sorry. I should have added in ellipses (as I have now). "but on the Ubuntu Pro dashboard I see no way to do that." is what I meant.

However there is a link there to a guide showing how to set up a pro subscription and along with "pro --help" there is a "detach" command. If for some reason the Software & Updates GUI fails an installation could be detached from either a terminal or from the Linux console.

As well as doing so in Software & Updates this can also be done in the terminal/console with...
    Code:
    sudo pro detach [YOUR_TOKEN]
    Yeah, I saw that.
    Last edited by donald187; March 11th, 2023 at 04:43 AM.

Beans

I was going to start my own thread, but I'll use this one. I had several screenshots, but I can't include them inline, and don't really want to bother with an image hoster. So here's what I've seen so far:

Installing ubuntu 22 gets you the "Enable Ubuntu Pro" window right out of the box.

Anytime I ssh into a box now I get:
    23 additional security updates can be applied with ESM Apps.
    Learn more about enabling ESM Apps service at https://ubuntu.com/esm

So.....now I ask this hard, unpopular question: When did ubuntu get so lame? If I wanted whiny ads for money I'd be running windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

My even harder more unpopular question is:

When did users get so lame?

If self‑promotion is a crime, then be the first to check yourself into jail. We all do it. But we hide it under self‑serving euphemisms like "networking", "personal growth", "career enhancement", "making new friends", "putting our best foot forward" and a thousand others. Anyone with a LinkedIn profile is advertising themselves. So is anyone with a Facebook profile, or a Tinder profile, or a blog. Dressing up for a night out on the town is self‑promotion. So is combing your hair and putting on make‑up.

But if an organization that gives away almost all of its product for free even mentions that it has the temerity to offer extended—and only extended—services for a charge, then suddenly a certain contingent of users gets their panties in a knot and the sky is falling.

This whine has been posted on these forums ad nauseum.

Give your heads a shake, people.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast