Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Upgrade to Ubuntu Pro for a more secure system???

Beans

Cool Re: Upgrade to Ubuntu Pro for a more secure system???

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    Yes, it's been discussed many times before.
    And, as we have said before, you have misinterpreted the message.
    I recently updated Ubuntu 22.04 and encountered this message for the first time too. Updater still functions as before - the only exception being the gatekeeper Pro is now identified as the "more secure system". That's not difficult to misinterpret. The subsequent information kindly provided by you, and others are beneficial to the Ubuntu community. As always, without exception, it's necessary and insightful. Always appreciated too.

But it's not accurate to suggest the message was misinterpreted, when the information simply conveyed the gatekeeper to updater. Which hasn't existed as far as I've experienced - since the early millennium. Hence, the what the? I can empathise with the OP. It's not meant as contrite. Open Software, by definition of the word "open" doesn't normally have gatekeepers. The end user isn't to blame for poor messaging of the change to the definition, open software - for at least 14 years (in my experience).

Canonical is absolutely free to change how it does business, but it has more responsibility to take on the messaging of it's changes - than just blaming the end user once it arrives. If there are a million users, then a million and one explanations may be required - or links to the website that explain the changes and why. End users aren't being paid for their free use of the open software, but the open software enterprise still benefits from the bugs they flush out. Creating a more refined end product, for the revenue income streams they develop separately. The end user is contributing by pointing out the flaws - including PR.

Beans

Re: Upgrade to Ubuntu Pro for a more secure system???

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    My even harder more unpopular question is:

When did users get so lame?
    Since Canonical directly marketed (specifically Ubuntu) to non-technical people to take up their free open software. Ubuntu was made entirely to be user friendly, and differentiate itself from other free open software dists, requiring more tech savvy operators. Don't blame the end-user for what was the company's PR directive for expansion, at the time.

Now demand has outstripped supply, increasing wages are required to pay for a more stable product. This is understandable and I don't quibble over reasonable changes, to a good product.

What is poor form is changing direction, after well over a decade promoting itself as a (free) stable alternative to MS - then let the heat reach the audience as unnecessary complaining. I'm sure the directors spent months discussing how they could introduce a gatekeeper to software access, that didn't look like one. Otherwise it would compromise their branding. Kudos for maintaining an equilibrium necessary for change without compromising their brand. But any poorly explained changes to end users, isn't the end users fault.

If self‑promotion is a crime, then be the first to check yourself into jail. We all do it. But we hide it under self‑serving euphemisms like "networking", "personal growth", "career enhancement", "making new friends", "putting our best foot forward" and a thousand others. Anyone with a LinkedIn profile is advertising themselves. So is anyone with a Facebook profile, or a Tinder profile, or a blog. Dressing up for a night out on the town is self‑promotion. So is combing your hair and putting on make‑up.
    These are personal activities people can opt into without a gatekeeper. There are no options with new changes to updater. Requiring a subscription to Pro, in order to dismiss it. A more comparable situation using your example, would be someone entering your room, combing your hair and putting on your make up for you - then chewing you out as ungrateful for finding it all rather disturbing. Especially when this arrangement was not an issue before - opting into what make-up you chose and how to comb your hair.

This whine has been posted on these forums ad nauseum.

Give your heads a shake, people.
    Poor messaging and introduction to end users, is why negative feedback it's becoming entrenched. If Pro was made an option, and not a gatekeeper, through disabling it from showing in updater altogether (without a subscription) people could move on. Enjoying what they've had before (update wise) without constant reminders from updater, to subscribe to Pro. Why is this the first feature, end-users haven't been able to disable in Ubuntu before? That's a pretty big shift away from user-friendliness, and people noticed. Lots of people. It was made obvious by not being able to disable it.

It's bloated software when users are given optional features, that cannot be disabled when using apps. A change in company directive, does not require psychoanalysing individual responses to self-promotion. It's the company directive that changed. Not the end users. There is no adequate messaging to breach the gap, which reflects poorly on company PR.

Beans

We cannot expect Canonical to keep giving us all of this awesomeness for nothing.
    I'm not stalking your posts (honestly) you just raise some interesting points I have a slightly different take on. One of those is how Canonical is giving away all this freedom for nothing. If they had to pay a team of coders to test the bugs in their distros, it would cost a lot more money over a longer timescale. When users choose to sacrifice their time learning how a certain distro works, then sending feedback when it doesn't work as expected, they are shortening the expense and development schedule for a stable distro.

End users have a symbiotic relationship with free software developers, which benefits both parties. As end users, participate in the development schedule without pay.

I don't see any of those who are complaining the loudest giving away their working time for free.
    It took me an incredible amount of time to learn Ubuntu. Over a decade and I'm still learning. That required sacrificing free time, and no-one was paying me to support a free software company to improve their end product. Nor did I expect them to. There are many value added products which Canonical gains revenue from in the software marketplace, separate to Ubuntu distros. Which have come about a lot quicker, because of user participation in free software distros. That's the back-end we contributed to, but see no financial gain from. Which I'm okay with. That's the symbiotic relationship both parties benefit from.

My contribution is to help out others. I figure that I'm doing my share by providing support. This is part of the indirect economic ecosystem that FOSS has fostered over the years, but we must never lose sight of the fact that it's still an economic ecosystem. And forum contributions only go so far: it can't pay for salaries, rent, utilities or even a cup of coffee.
    A wonderful contribution I may add. Without more knowledgeable mentors helping budding users, the company doesn't get to expand with new developments shelved instead. It needs end users and people to teach how to use. But Canonical isn't pulling chump change here. They're making well over 140 million p/a, with around 5 mill profit. I support their progress and expansion too. Just not by rolling end-users under the bus via poor messaging and implementation of new distos.

Is that what the whiners and the gripers want? For Canonical to say: "Tell you what. LTS is no longer available without payment. We will offer only standard releases for free. You will have to put up with the six‑month upgrade hamster wheel, frequent breakages, regressions and incompatibilities, but that's the price you pay for getting something at no charge. If you want 5‑year support, you will have to pay for our new something‑else version." That would certainly deal with the unrealistic expectations I suppose.
    I have confidence, Canonical can continue to steer this symbiotic relationship successfully, between free community participation and increasing backend revenue streams, on shorter time frames. It's been successfully managing it for (approaching) 20 years now. They can handle community feedback without getting sensitive about it. Because it's quite literally their bread and butter. Free feedback becomes a reduced cost, income revenue - they didn't even have to pay or coerce the participants to see the value in participating.

The only thing that Canonical has been "guilty" of is spoiling us.
    And making money from it, LOL. Which as I said previously, I support. We work symbiotically, or we don't work at all. Which is why it bothers me to see the end-users providing quite strong feedback, for a poorly communicated and rolled out feature that completely changed the user experience. With the only response to stop complaining and be grateful. Even if only an unofficial response. I place more value on my contribution over the 10+ years sacrificed free time, and I hope you do too.

As you're not just providing free support - you're literally building the next generation of end-users for free. Your sacrificed free time, while also working for income - has ensured a company can make almost 5 mill in profit. They're not making chump change, so your contribution to education, shouldn't be treated as chump change either. None of the end users are just receiving a free product from a generous company. It's an exchange of symbiotic proportions. If the feedback is strong, there's a substantial reason for it.
    Last edited by ck-ricochet; January 3rd, 2024 at 11:56 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ck-ricochet View Post
    What is poor form is changing direction, after well over a decade...
    Yawn. Scheduled releases. Default application arguments. Changed support calendars. Upstart. Systemd. Ifupdown. Unity. Return to Gnome. Netplan. Snap packages.

"changing direction" happens all the time in the Open Source community. And some folks claim the sky is falling each time.
    Trying New Things happens all the time in the Open Source community. And some folks claim each experiment is a harbinger of doom.

There is nothing preventing the community from rebuilding apt without the Pro patches and uploading the result. Community MOTUs exist for a reason.
    That nobody has bothered suggests the complaints about Pro messages are somewhat more clutching-of-pearls than real outrage.

The Pro messages also show an important point: Folks weren't getting those security updates before...and did not know about it. Now they know.

Canonical and Ubuntu have a long history of "poor messaging". That's a GOOD thing: They are run by technical people, not marketers. They have lots of transparency, whether folks choose to look or not. Most decisions (with some big exceptions) have been made in the open after tedious discussion.
    Last edited by ian-weisser; January 7th, 2024 at 02:57 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu LTS support is free. They ask for nothing in return.

Ubuntu PRO is **not** free because they require "something" in return.

Whether that "something" is acceptable or not is an individual question. Anyone running Ubuntu has already provided a huge amount of trust to Canonical. Is the little bit more they ask for to get PRO a big deal or not? That's a line not to be crossed by some people, while others will easily cross it.

Beans

I just registered for a free Pro key and upgraded my system with the esm packages. Looked like the only thing that was upgraded was, of all things, VLC. Since I only use that to watch files downloaded to my network, I doubt whatever security vulnerability existed in VLC or its related packages mattered to me.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Use Software Updater instead of the terminal for upgrades. It does NOT mention Pro.

That said, I enrolled my Ubuntu 18.04 when the extended support was first offered, and I'm happy with the service and the 10 years support. No other Linux does this as far as I know.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

All that may be true, ian-weisser except the estimation that Canonical is run by technical people, not marketers. Because when first releasing Ubuntu, Canonical used a marketing campaign to appeal to the Windows crowd. What made Ubuntu unique among other Linux distros, was spreading the message it could be used similarly to Windows. Plug and play. Intentional strategy about messaging was employed, that you don't have to be technical to have an alternative OS.

Canonical's website designers were on the same brief, making it seamlessly easy to install Ubuntu, to people who had never heard of an ISO file before or partitioning hard-drives. Canonical is run by business people who employ a host of individuals - some with technical skill, some with marketing, but they're all tapping into the free software community to encourage expansion, innovation and flushing out problems to fix the end product. If it was just run by technical people, Canonical wouldn't be turning a 5 mill profit, after making over 140 mill. Only through winning a huge market share back from Windows, was it possible, and they achieved it specifically through messaging.

Without demand from non-technical individuals, Canonical could not compete with Windows on the backend. Otherwise they would have to pay all those technicians and bug fixers (like Windows does) which isn't Canonical's strategy. My point isn't to silence what others in the community feel about certain feedback. It's to bring transparency to how Canonical brought profit to the free software marketplace. So Windows had to eventually adopt it as part of their own OS options. Specifically through the demand for Ubuntu, making it as plug and play, as possible. That plug and play crowd came with the messaging. They didn't cost a cent to employ, but through their rapid reporting of issues, and willingness to speak up (paired with the technical group) Canonical still remains a viable alternative to Windows.

If it was just about making money, they would be doing what Windows is by now. So there is something very different and deliberate to Canonical's strategy. Transparency? Yes. Community support? Religiously. Making money? As long as we can all fulfil our contributions as a community. It's not dependent on any one of us, but it certainly requires all of us.

Next time you're thinking - here we go again, more complainers. Replace it with - they're part of the free labour community, Canonical turned 5 mill profit on. I'm glad they became the market-share to compete with Windows. You might not like everything they say, or how they say it, but without their demand Ubuntu wouldn't be what it is today, as fast as it got here. They are the numbers Canonical needed. No-one in the free software community, got to where we are presently - alone.
    Last edited by ck-ricochet; January 5th, 2024 at 07:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have three Ubuntu VMs running on Ubuntu Pro from the time, that it was still called "Extended Security Maintenance". The three distros are 14.04; 16.04 and 18.04, I'm happy, that they give me the possibility to enjoy them safely for 10 years.
    I proudly announce, that I combined all major functions, despised by the Canonical haters, in one system. I still use Ubuntu 16.04 ESM daily almost hourly for banking, it has them all; Unity; Snaps and Ubuntu Pro. I use the latest stable snaps for Firefox and LibreOffice, especially Calc.
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; January 6th, 2024 at 10:38 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234