Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to Ubuntu Pro for a more secure system???

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Upgrade to Ubuntu Pro for a more secure system???

Quote Originally Posted by maglin2 View Post
    I don't know about others, but I didn't start using Ubuntu Desktop because it was free, or because I espoused the FOSS ideals.

--snip--

If there was profit in Ubuntu desktop I think it pretty soon would be being run by a company with very different values to Canonical.
    I'm very realistic about Canonical. They are not saints, nor should they be. They are just as happy to increase profits as the next guy. It's just that they chose FOSS as their stock in trade and the nature of FOSS limits how badly any company can go rogue. So, although you may not have initially cottoned on to Ubuntu because of FOSS ideals, it's important to understand that it's those ideals that make FOSS companies behave better than most.

There's nothing inherently wrong with trying to increase profits. We all do this when we seek the highest pay for the jobs that we do, so how can we begrudge it to Canonical?

If we keep these two things in mind, then seeing some self‑promotion in Canonical's interfaces is not only to be expected, but welcomed. I want them to be profitable so that they hire the best devs. I want them to be profitable so that they will stick around for decades to come putting out good stuff. I want them to be profitable so that they have the resources to support forums like ours. However, profitability is not what keeps Canonical in line.

Desktop Ubuntu maintains its community integrity not because Canonical is a uniquely virtuous company—though they are clearly better than most—but because any attempt to privatize it will instantly cause it to be forked, with the vast majority of users flocking to the fork. This is what happened with Openoffice → Libreoffice, Owncloud → Nextcloud, and many others. Companies that accept the benefits of FOSS and that have built themselves up by leveraging FOSS understand this dynamic very clearly. Those that do not have disappeared from the ecosystem. This is possible only because the copyleft nature of FOSS makes it easy to make that fork. People benefit from FOSS ideals whether they realize it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
    …I think a balance can be struck to compensate those who develop GNU/Linux, and still have a community of free open development…
    I believe that Canonical is a good company. Unlike Red Hat (which is not a bad company), Canonical has made the decision to keep its brand monolithic and intact. I think that this is a gesture of respect extended to those of us who comprise its user base. They could have pulled a Red Hat and split the guinea pigs off from their paying customers. I would not begrudge them that. But they have decided that everyone will get the same benefits and only those who need more than 5 years of support and who have more than 5 computers should pay. This is very generous. I would argue that it is a degree of generosity that we have no right to even expect. Those who actually criticize it are crazy.

Canonical gives us this largess by making money from extended services, cloud services and corporate services. Far from criticizing them for promoting such services, we should be cheering them on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    I believe that Canonical is a good company. Unlike Red Hat (which is not a bad company), Canonical has made the decision to keep its brand monolithic and intact. I think that this is a gesture of respect extended to those of us who comprise its user base. They could have pulled a Red Hat and split the guinea pigs off from their paying customers. I would not begrudge them that. But they have decided that everyone will get the same benefits and only those who need more than 5 years of support and who have more than 5 computers should pay. This is very generous. I would argue that it is a degree of generosity that we have no right to even expect. Those who actually criticize it are crazy.
    Agree.

It amazed me that Canonical offered the extra support - free, through Ubuntu Pro. You have access to enterprise level support, for personal use, for FREE!

If I hazard a guess, maybe the marketing idea to provide this for free, you get a sample, an idea of what is available. So in my situation, where I was on the board of directors for a homeschool group of 300 families, I would recommend Ubuntu Pro paid services to meet our organization's needs. I'm familiar with the distro, familiar with the GNU/Linux community, and here's a trusted community and service. Grass roots grown business
    Ubuntu 24.04 LTS | Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD
    Fedora 40 | Lenovo Edge 15 | i5 1.7Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 4400 | 6GB RAM | 1TB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

'I Am Because We Are': The African Philosophy of Ubuntu.

$100 a year to run a secure system my cost. ummm.

I have to think this over.

maybe move to Debian?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by regor210 View Post
    $100 a year to run a secure system my cost. ummm.
    Re-reading the earlier posts in this thread, which dispel a lot of FUD, may be worthwhile for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    Re-reading the earlier posts in this thread, which dispel a lot of FUD, may be worthwhile for you.
    Or even just read the previous post, my post

Where I talk about the FREE! Ubuntu Pro service. It's FREE, the opposite of $100. Pay no money for Ubuntu Pro service.
    Did I mention, it's FREE!

Joking aside, it is amazing that Canonical offers an incredible distro (free) with patches from an open source community (free) and just to add a little more support... Canonical's paid staff provides Ubuntu specific patches free to individual users using a free distro. Again, amazing
    Ubuntu 24.04 LTS | Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD
    Fedora 40 | Lenovo Edge 15 | i5 1.7Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 4400 | 6GB RAM | 1TB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Get more security updates through Ubuntu Pro with 'esm-apps' enabled:
    libavformat58 libavfilter7 ffmpeg python3-mediainfodll imagemagick
    libswresample3 libswresample3 libzmq5 libmagickwand-6.q16-6 libmediainfo0v5
    libpostproc55 imagemagick-6.q16 libavcodec58 libavcodec58 libavutil56
    libavutil56 libavdevice58 libswscale5 libsdl2-2.0-0 libsdl2-2.0-0 libmysofa1
    libmagickcore-6.q16-6 libavresample4 imagemagick-6-common
    Learn more about Ubuntu Pro at https://ubuntu.com/pro

There's a lot not getting getting upgraded/updated here. Not what i would call FUD.
    Last edited by regor210; April 14th, 2023 at 05:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by regor210 View Post
    There's a lot not getting getting upgraded/updated here. Not what i would call FUD.
    Perhaps you need to understand the larger lay of the land:

You never got those updates before. They are all part of the Universe repo and are mostly frozen in place once the version status goes from beta to released. More importantly, apps in the Universe repo are not even officially supported by Canonical. They are the responsibility of the larger "Ubuntu community" like the app authors themselves, community volunteers or the upstream repos from which they are simply copied. This is made very clear in Canonical's docs. Canonical includes them essentially as a courtesy to their users: "extra goodies" if you will. This has been the case throughout Canonical's existence.

So, nothing has changed. Nothing is being taken away from you. You can't be deprived of what you never had in the first place.

But they are now offering official support for apps in the Universe repo if you subscribe to Pro. This is an extra offering. Frankly, it is a marvellous offering and constitutes an opportunity for users that is over and above what we have always had. The fact that everyone gets such an enhancement for free (on five machines) is quite generous.

If you don't want it, then continue to use Ubuntu as you always have and you are missing nothing. If you decide to take them up on their offer, then register as a Pro user and get something that you never had before.

This was explained quite clearly in the previous posts. I'm merely repeating what has already been written.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It bears adding that I, as an official "Ubuntu Member", qualify for free Pro enhancements on 50 machines. Yet I have not bothered to register for Pro at all. I am happy with the way that Ubuntu has always worked and see no reason to get updates to my Universe apps. The community tends to look after security patches well enough, so the added enhancements are usually for more current features which are mostly bells, whistles and pretty dresses. Since I'm happy with the way that my apps work and invariably upgrade every two years with each new LTS, I'm not that far behind in any case, so keeping up with the absolute latest is not worth the added exposure and instability.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use Ubuntu Pro for some older Ubuntu Virtualbox VMs: 14.04; 16.04 and since today 18.04, because coming week the 5 years will pass. I use the Ubuntu 16.04 VM every day for my banking. The VM is encrypted by Virtualbox and I use it exclusively for banking, no other browsing nor emails. The firewall is closed for inbound traffic. For Firefox and LibreOffice I use the latest stable snaps.

Note that I combined the most hated Canonical products in 16.04; Unity; Snaps and Ubuntu Pro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by duckhook View Post
    i appreciate your observation. It is true that we conduct ourselves based on long habituated expectations. But when those expectations are unrealistic or, in this case, hypocritical, then it is time for us to re‑examine and change them.

We cannot expect canonical to keep giving us all of this awesomeness for nothing. They are not a charity (and even charities ask for money). Even if canonical operates so ultra‑efficiently that they employ but 0.5% of the staff employed by the proprietary giants, these are still people who must be paid. I don't see any of those who are complaining the loudest giving away their working time for free. In fact, they likely demand the most they can ask for their work, so why do their expectations suddenly go into magical reverse for canonical?

Yes, we can all contribute in different ways. My contribution is to help out others. I figure that i'm doing my share by providing support. This is part of the indirect economic ecosystem that foss has fostered over the years, but we must never lose sight of the fact that it's still an economic ecosystem. And forum contributions only go so far: It can't pay for salaries, rent, utilities or even a cup of coffee.

Canonical can decide to hoodwink us the way that red hat does (i'm not dissing rh. They are just offering a necessary economic model that works for them). Rh has elevated its name brand entirely into the paid sphere. You can't even get on their forums without a paid account. They then created a second brand, fedora, that is basically a test bed in which nonpaying users are guinea pigs. There's no lts in fedora. It is, for all intents and purposes, a rolling release. When things go wrong, the guinea pigs just have to live with it until the devs get around to fixing it. If you want real stability in fedora, you have to pay to upgrade to red hat.

Is that what the whiners and the gripers want? For canonical to say: "tell you what. Lts is no longer available without payment. We will offer only standard releases for free. You will have to put up with the six‑month upgrade hamster wheel, frequent breakages, regressions and incompatibilities, but that's the price you pay for getting something at no charge. If you want 5‑year support, you will have to pay for our new something‑else version." that would certainly deal with the unrealistic expectations i suppose.

I don't know about you, but i would consider the above as the real disaster; not this tiny smidgeon of self‑promotion that i can so easily ignore when i upgrade.

The only thing that canonical has been "guilty" of is spoiling us.
    bam!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast