Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to Ubuntu Pro for a more secure system???

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Upgrade to Ubuntu Pro for a more secure system???

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    ...services for a charge...
    Basically only for business users, maybe for some of the more hardcore Linux users with more than 5 machines. As a home user with 2 laptops (physical machines) with 5 Ubuntu installations ("rather enthusiastic" dual-booter here ) I haven't had to pay one single penny for the service thanks to the generosity of Canonical.
    My even harder more unpopular question is:

When did users get so lame? ...

Give your heads a shake, people.
    Yep, exactly. Good post. Cheers, yeti.

Beans

People become loyal and emotionally attached to products. A lot of money can be made out of this trait and from selling ways for brands to maximise it.

People then feel upset and betrayed if they think the product is failing to maintain the values that caused them to invest their loyalty.

It's not logical, but then human behaviour that is purely logical we tend to consider syndromatic/sociopathic.

All part of life's rich tapestry.
    Last edited by maglin2; March 14th, 2023 at 11:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

...if an organization that gives away almost all of its product for free even mentions that it has the temerity to offer extended—and only extended—services for a charge, then suddenly a certain contingent of users gets their panties in a knot and the sky is falling.
    Maybe it's always been this way, but there does seem to be a level of entitlement, with users now a days, when things change or break or develop. The World has stopped moving! Catastrophe!

Been kicking around with GNU/Linux for around 20 years. Purchased books to learn Linux and Unix - to make a particular GNU/Linux disro work. Probably my favorite set up was my first, Yellow Dog Linux on an iBook. Not a cake walk to make that work

Fast forward to now, and what an amazing choice of GNU/Linux distros that are graphically easy to install. And stable!

To new GNU/Linux users, the work to gather knowledge is worth the power and freedom you will gain.

The news letter here in Ubuntu Forums has an interesting article on Flathub. A glimpse into some of the challenges and possible answers for the GNU/Linux community.

As said by so many, including DuckHook, whining gains you nothing. And there's so much more to be gained with GNU/Linux
    Ubuntu 24.04 LTS | Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD
    Fedora 40 | Lenovo Edge 15 | i5 1.7Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 4400 | 6GB RAM | 1TB HDD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by maglin2 View Post
    People become loyal and emotionally attached to products. A lot of money can be made out of this trait and from selling ways for brands to maximise it.

People then feel upset and betrayed if they think the product is failing to maintain the values that caused them to invest their loyalty.

It's not logical, but then human behaviour that is purely logical we tend to consider syndromatic/sociopathic.

All part of life's rich tapestry.
    I appreciate your observation. It is true that we conduct ourselves based on long habituated expectations. But when those expectations are unrealistic or, in this case, hypocritical, then it is time for us to re‑examine and change them.

We cannot expect Canonical to keep giving us all of this awesomeness for nothing. They are not a charity (and even charities ask for money). Even if Canonical operates so ultra‑efficiently that they employ but 0.5% of the staff employed by the proprietary giants, these are still people who must be paid. I don't see any of those who are complaining the loudest giving away their working time for free. In fact, they likely demand the most they can ask for their work, so why do their expectations suddenly go into magical reverse for Canonical?

Yes, we can all contribute in different ways. My contribution is to help out others. I figure that I'm doing my share by providing support. This is part of the indirect economic ecosystem that FOSS has fostered over the years, but we must never lose sight of the fact that it's still an economic ecosystem. And forum contributions only go so far: it can't pay for salaries, rent, utilities or even a cup of coffee.

Canonical can decide to hoodwink us the way that Red Hat does (I'm not dissing RH. They are just offering a necessary economic model that works for them). RH has elevated its name brand entirely into the paid sphere. You can't even get on their forums without a paid account. They then created a second brand, Fedora, that is basically a test bed in which nonpaying users are guinea pigs. There's no LTS in Fedora. It is, for all intents and purposes, a rolling release. When things go wrong, the guinea pigs just have to live with it until the devs get around to fixing it. If you want real stability in Fedora, you have to pay to upgrade to Red Hat.

Is that what the whiners and the gripers want? For Canonical to say: "Tell you what. LTS is no longer available without payment. We will offer only standard releases for free. You will have to put up with the six‑month upgrade hamster wheel, frequent breakages, regressions and incompatibilities, but that's the price you pay for getting something at no charge. If you want 5‑year support, you will have to pay for our new something‑else version." That would certainly deal with the unrealistic expectations I suppose.

I don't know about you, but I would consider the above as the real disaster; not this tiny smidgeon of self‑promotion that I can so easily ignore when I upgrade.

The only thing that Canonical has been "guilty" of is spoiling us.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

We cannot expect Canonical to keep giving us all of this awesomeness for nothing. They are not a charity (and even charities ask for money). Even if Canonical operates so ultra‑efficiently that they employ but 0.5% of the staff employed by the proprietary giants, these are still people who must be paid. I don't see any of those who are complaining the loudest giving away their working time for free. In fact, they likely demand the most they can ask for their work, so why do their expectations suddenly go into magical reverse for Canonical?
    That's the challenge. And though maybe not the answer folks want, but I see it as a natural progress with GNU/Linux and business. You want Free (freedom) in OS, then you're a guinea pig and (hopefully) helping the GNU/Linux community. You want free (as in free beer) then you're a guinea pig and possibly the product.

You want LTS, you pay money. You want current stable applications, possibly through SNAP or FLATPAK, you pay money.

I'm an amateur photographer. My next go with Debian 12, will be to use the default software. No SNAP. No FLATPAK. And to see how that works with my amateur photography. Now if I step up to professional photography, I would expect to pay for software and equipment for my business. Can I use software in the GNU/Linux realm, sure. But I should be paying, whether through donations or time to help the projects. I don't code, so financial contribution for me.

I see Flathub and Snap-store becoming paid services and products. And I agree with that. Pay the devs of GIMP for the latest AI photo function, because I enjoy it or it's needed for business.
    Don't want GIMP at that level, have it for free with your favorite GNU/Linux distro. Might be a release or two old, but it works great and you might be providing data for testing of new features in future GIMP.

If you are enjoying GNU/Linux and not making it into a business, than support the community you are part of.

If you are using GNU/Linux for business endeavors, you financially pay for the tools you are using.
    Last edited by BBQdave; March 14th, 2023 at 07:27 PM. Reason: spelling
    Ubuntu 24.04 LTS | Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD
    Fedora 40 | Lenovo Edge 15 | i5 1.7Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 4400 | 6GB RAM | 1TB HDD

Beans
    Hidden!

@donald187 Use ‘sudo pro detach’ command.
    Last edited by bernard010; March 14th, 2023 at 08:10 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

There is an aspect of people's relationship with FOSS that has always bothered me. Deeply.

Too often, the people who use it treat it as a one‑way valve. They think they are entitled to get it for free. But they feel no obligation to give anything in return.

Nothing else in life works this way. Nothing.

So, why do people think that FOSS is this lone, crazy, magical exception?

The topic of this thread is but one illustration of this theme. Some people take exception to Canonical offering over‑and‑above services for money. This presupposes that they are somehow "deserving" of tons of amazing stuff for nothing in return.

In point of fact, we do get tons of amazing stuff for nothing in return. The proper response to such a windfall is to quietly count our lucky blessings and not call attention to the gross asymmetry, in fear that the party offering it to us might come to their senses and stop offering it. The response that we actually get is for (some) people to get even more demanding. More entitled. More strident. More presumptuous.

In any other walk of life, this would be nuts. But in FOSS, this asymmetry has been normalized to the point that people treat it as the background of their lives. Well, we have to stop doing that. Stop taking this amazing windfall for granted.

It would help for us to stop using words like "product" when it comes to FOSS. Proprietary software is a "product". You pay for it. You are expected to trade something of value to gain access to it. Even then, you don't own it. It is fenced in with all sorts of terms and conditions and limitations. It's a product.

But FOSS is not a product. You pay nothing for it. You don't have to trade something of value to gain access to it. In every sense that counts, you own it. You can tinker with it, modify it, twist it into whatever shape you want and no one will sue you. The only condition that it imposes on you is that if you make your modified version available to the public, that you also publish the source code so that others in turn may tinker, modify and twist it to their needs. It is more like a calling… a philosophy.

Maybe if we treat it this way, we will be able to muster the respect that it deserves. I dunno. Then again, maybe some people will never get it and will just forever feel entitled.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bernard010 View Post
    @donald187 Use ‘sudo pro detach’ command.
    Thanks. Yes, I saw that. Apparently this is a local computer thing and not an unsubscribe thing one does on one's Pro dashboard.

Truth is I thought they might be keeping a record of "subscribed machines" that would have to be unsubscribed if one were to reinstall Ubuntu without detaching first. But perhaps they are just keeping a record of "active machines" as is posted on one's Pro dashboard.
    Last edited by donald187; March 14th, 2023 at 10:05 PM.

Beans

I don't know about others, but I didn't start using Ubuntu Desktop because it was free, or because I espoused the FOSS ideals.
    I started using it because Windows 7 was a nightmare. Endless problems with updates. Conflicts between the security applications (that everyone said I absolutely needed) and the OS. Blue screens of death. Sluggish performance on a brand new reasonable spec machine.
    If Windows 7 had worked for me like XP did I would still be using it.
    So I looked for something else that might work on the machine. Linux was suggested by the shop who sold me it.
    I tried PCLinuxOS first. It worked a lot better than Windows, but there was a bit of a learning curve. I still have a soft spot for it though.
    Then I tried Ubuntu 12.04 and was blown away.
    Everything worked, it was fast, beautiful and (to me) completely intuitive at the GUI level - and I had no need for anything other than the GUI, because nothing ever went wrong.
    If there had been a three month free trial then canonical had wanted money I would have paid.
    I still feel much the same way.
    I do now perceive a down side in this though.
    If there was profit in Ubuntu desktop I think it pretty soon would be being run by a company with very different values to Canonical.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by maglin2 View Post
    I don't know about others, but I didn't start using Ubuntu Desktop because it was free, or because I espoused the FOSS ideals. I started using it because Windows 7 was a nightmare.
    That's how they get ya

Mac os9 was challenging, and my first OS. Loading GNU/Linux was an alternative, to hopefully something better.

With the GNU/Linux community, you have collaboration, helpful guidance, control of your pc, and growth

I think a balance can be struck to compensate those who develop GNU/Linux, and still have a community of free open development.

Hopefully the OP will gain an understanding of what it means to be in a community and the responsibility that goes along with the benefits.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast