Thread: Request - Add Realtek RTL8852BE driver to Kernel?

Beans

Request - Add Realtek RTL8852BE driver to Kernel?

Is there a way to submit a formal request to have a driver added to the Linux Kernel?

I and many others have Realtek RTL8852BE Wifi 6 cards which do not currently have a driver supported in the kernel. Though the driver can be downloaded and installed manually (using the instructions below) every time there's a software update pushed I have to delete the old driver, connect to a docking station with an RJ45 connection and reinstall the WIFI driver...

sudo apt update
    sudo apt install git bc
    git clone https://github.com/HRex39/rtl8852be.git
    cd rtl8852be
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe 8852be

inxi -Fxpmrz && lsusb && lspci && rfkill list all && mokutil --sb-state

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Request - Add Realtek RTL8852BE driver to Kernel?

First of all, I suspect that this is a better source for the driver: https://github.com/lwfinger/rtw89

I have to delete the old driver, connect to a docking station with an RJ45 connection and reinstall the WIFI driver...
    I doubt that is necessary. I suggest, after a kernel update and the requested reboot:

Code:
    cd rtl8852be
    make clean
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe 8852be
    In other words, if the kernel update is simply from 5.15.0-x to 5.15.0-y, then it is very unlikely to require an entirely fresh git clone for the wireless to work. After the wireless is working, you can always do:

Code:
    cd rtl8852be
    make clean
    git pull 
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe -r 8852be 
    sudo modprobe 8852be
    git pull refreshes the driver fiie with any changes, improvements, etc.

There are no Ubuntu developers here that I've ever heard from or about. We're all unrelated volunteers, so this probably isn't a place for a feature request. You are encouraged to add to the bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/2002601
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    First of all, I suspect that this is a better source for the driver: https://github.com/lwfinger/rtw89

I doubt that is necessary. I suggest, after a kernel update and the requested reboot:

Code:
    cd rtl8852be
    make clean
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe 8852be
    In other words, if the kernel update is simply from 5.15.0-x to 5.15.0-y, then it is very unlikely to require an entirely fresh git clone for the wireless to work. After the wireless is working, you can always do:

Code:
    cd rtl8852be
    make clean
    git pull 
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe -r 8852be 
    sudo modprobe 8852be
    git pull refreshes the driver fiie with any changes, improvements, etc.

There are no Ubuntu developers here that I've ever heard from or about. We're all unrelated volunteers, so this probably isn't a place for a feature request. You are encouraged to add to the bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/2002601

Thank you so much for the prompt response, and suggestions to port the drivers over from one kernel update to another. That's super helpful. I've been using Linux as a secondary operating system for 10 years and never had compatibility issues until I got this current machine.

I get that the developers aren't monitoring the forums, but I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how one would even submit a request for a driver to be added to the kernel. I'll try adding to the bug report.

Beans

> I and many others have Realtek RTL8852BE Wifi 6 cards which do not currently have a driver supported in the kernel.

This doesn't sound right. I monitor the linux-wireless list where patches are posted and information is exchanged and I see regular patches for the rtl8852. The 8852be driver is in the RTW89 folder. I can see it in Linus' kernel which is at 6.3.-rc3 right now. Maybe this driver was not activated until a kernel later than what you have or the driver does not include the device ID of your specific card. I think you are trying to ask for something that is already there.

I mostly just pay attention to usb wifi but I think you may need to look closer. Maybe you could install the HWE kernel which I think is at 5.19 to see what happens. Heck, I have a checklist that would help you upgrade all the way to 6.3.rc3 if you want to check that out.

Beans

What happens if you run "sudo ubuntu-drivers"? Does it see the card and suggest a driver?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Did a upgrade on a Ubuntu 22.04 based system today:

linux-firmware

Wireless: Enable RTL8852BE wifi driver (LP: #2002601)
    - rtw89: 8852b: update fw to v0.27.32.1

Beans

Old thread I know but I thought I should mention for anyone that stumbles across here that if you're running Jammy Jellyfish you can use the 6.1 OEM kernel instead of having to compile a driver from GitHub. It's maintained and supported by Canonical and contains backported support for the adapter (see here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/2002601).

Run `sudo apt install linux-oem-22.04c`

Support will be available on the Jammy HWE kernel some time in August, once the kernel from Lunar Lobster is backported.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The driver is included by default in Ubuntu 23.04:
    Code:
    /usr/lib/modules/6.2.0-20-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtw89/rtw89_8852be.ko
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    The driver is included by default in Ubuntu 23.04:
    Code:
    /usr/lib/modules/6.2.0-20-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtw89/rtw89_8852be.ko
    Thanks so much!! I wouldn't have known but for this post.
    I bought a new budget laptop for casual use during the holiday season and it reached me today. I tried LinuxMint and Debian 12. Both of them couldn't spot the Realtek RT8852BE.
    Installed Ubuntu 23.10 and had no issues identifying the Wi-Fi device. Other things seem to be working fine too. Yet to test fully. Once done, will wipe SSD and full install Ubuntu 23.10.
    Thanks!!! chili555

Update: Testing completed. Everything that I need is working as it should be. Installed Ubuntu 23.10 on the full SSD wiping the default Windows 11 it came with. I have got nothing against Windows 11. Regular WIndows user. This budget laptop cannot survive WIndows 11!.
    Last edited by prmbasheer; January 10th, 2024 at 05:00 PM.