Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot Problems with Ubuntu andWindows 11.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Boot Problems with Ubuntu andWindows 11.

Hello everyone,

After a year, I decided to go into my Windows 10 install in my multi-boot laptop to update Windows. After not being in it for a year, you can imagine there were a lot of updates. It also upgraded to Windows 11.

Then, I found my laptop would only boot to Windows 11 with no display of the grub menu.

Steps I tried to rectify this:

In Windows 11, I disabled 'fast startup'. That didn't help.

In BIOS, I tried many times, to set the Boot Priority for Ubuntu to boot first, but it could not be done. (very annoying).

In BIOS, I disabled 'Secure Boot'. That didn't help.

I turned 'Secure Boot' back on; EXCEPT, I couldn't boot from an Xubuntu live usb on a flash drive, UNLESS, I disabled Secure Boot again. This is new behaviour and also, (very annoying). Or, at least, I don't remember having to do this before with live cd's.

I found when I press 'esc' during the booting process, I can go into 'Startup Menu' and of course the BIOS. In 'Start Up Menu', if I choose 'Boot Device Options', I can change the Boot Order in the 'OS Boot Manager' to Ubuntu to boot first. Then, when I continue on with booting, I am given the familiar 'Grub greeting', with Ubuntu on top, and boots to Xubuntu 20.04. Welcome Back!

I never had to do this before, to get to the grub menu. I am happy that I am able to get into the Grub prompt and boot into the OS I choose, but it annoys me that I have to do though these extra steps and that a Windows Upgrade has seemingly done this.

I ran this from Ubuntu before and after Boot-Repair:

Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/nvme0n1 

sudo update-grub
    Then after Boot repair this: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/8KFkJvKBmY/

"In case you still experience boot problems, indicate this URL to: boot.repair@gmail.com or to your favorite support forum. You can now reboot your computer. Please do not forget to make your UEFI firmware boot on the Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS entry (nvme0n1/efi/ubuntu/-grubx64.efi file). If your computer reboots directly into Windows, try to change the boot order, change the default boot entry of the Windows bootloader.

For example you can boot into Windows, then type the following command in an admin command prompt: bdcedit /set {bootfmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi"

*I do not know how to do that!

I changed the default boot entry of the Windows bootloader by running in an admin command prompt:

Code:
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi
    My computer still boots *directly into Windows 11, *unless I do as above *each time I boot:

Go to Start Up Menu, choose 'Boot Device Option' an change the Boot Order in OS Boot Manager to Ubuntu first.

Then Grub present with Ubuntu first and boots into Xubuntu. Is there anything more, than com be done?

Thank you.
    Last edited by mikodo; March 4th, 2023 at 08:58 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Please edit first post, difficult to read without paragraphs.

Many with HP find they have to set boot order in UEFI settings (not UEFI boot menu).
    For whatever reason HP seems to be the only vendor that does not support UEFI changes with efibootmgr which grub uses to set boot order.

You show two installs. Boot-Repair always defaults to first, unless you use its advanced mode to choose which install to use.

Your fstab in p3 shows mount of data twice?
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I don't have the strength today to parse through your wall of text.

If you edit your post and split off the various thought threads into discrete paragraphs, it would be easier for others to help.

**EDIT**

Ninja'd by oldfred

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks people.

For the life of me, I am not able to edit, so that it has paragraphs, and when I retyped the whole body of text over again with paragraphs, it still did the same thing. I apologize.

Oh I see, I need to have Java Scripts available. duh!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Ah, so it's the posting settings. You can try changing your forum editor settings to "Standard Editor". Just click the "Settings" button at the top of the web page, then "General Settings" under "My Settings". The choice of editors is near the bottom. WYSIWYG is sometimes problematic. We staff are used to using Standard Editor which causes the least amount of trouble. Your browser can also sometimes be a problem. Mine will occasionally strip the paragraph character from my typing too. This can sometimes be solved with quitting/relaunching the browser, but sometimes not.

Let's not worry about it for now.

I leave you in oldfred's very capable hands.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post

Many with HP find they have to set boot order in UEFI settings (not UEFI boot menu).
    Please Fred, how do I do that?

Please disregard this post Fred,

I tried 4 different ways to do this from guides on the internet. None of the clicky click's worked. I guess I'm a quitter. At least I can get back into my Xubuntu installs.

Thanks again for your help!
    Last edited by mikodo; March 4th, 2023 at 10:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

I saw your boot-repair report and noticed that you have two disks in your PC - nvme0n1 and sda.
    Are these disks both internal devices?

I ask this question because it is more robust to have each OS on an individual disk with its own ESP.
    Consequently this reduces the problems of OS updates interfering with bootloaders.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks for sharing the insights. You know, I didn't know I had two drives until you spoke of it here. Thanks for that and the robustness you spoke of.

I'll have to look into the laptops hardware.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You did not mention which model HP.
    HP - escape + F9 for UEFI boot menu, F10 for UEFI/bios settings

HP Zbook 15 NVRAM locked, install issues
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2482555
    hp 250 g3 Change boot order in UEFI settings
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2467077
    HP Envy - use UEFI to change boot order & f9 f10
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1332...indows-or-ubun
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    I saw your boot-repair report and noticed that you have two disks in your PC - nvme0n1 and sda.
    Are these disks both internal devices?
    Yes, they are both internal. I haven't looked up the internals yet for this laptop, but I expect the sda is a platter drive.

I forgot that I use it for my data, that is symlinked with my $HOME.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast