Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu install process doesn't give me option to remove windows partitions

Beans

Ubuntu install process doesn't give me option to remove windows partitions

I just upgraded my old. HP dm1z to latest version of lubuntu "lubuntu-22.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso"

during the install process I was ONLY giving the "replace" partion option" and custom portion option
    I wanted to remove all the old windows files...
    I was afraid to do custom partition

so now I see 2 partitions (or folders?) with windows stuff still on my disk. do I need to redo install or can I free up that space of these windows folders?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu install process doesn't give me option to remove windows partitions

If you want to blow away everything Windows-related during installation, choose the "use entire disk" option from the disk management page. Ubuntu will then create a single partition, format it as ext4, and install everything to that.

You can merge the two remaining Windows partitions into one and create a single ext4 partition using Ubuntu's native disk management tools. You'd then have to create a "mount point" (essentially an empty directory) in the filesystem tree. You could create it under /media, e.g., /media/data, or somewhere else like /data. Personally I'd just reinstall with the "use entire disk" option.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

thanks but that is what I was trying to say.. the install program didnt give me a 'use entire disk' option.
    UPDATE... I followed your advice and remade the iso usb and reinstalled and now I am getting the option to erase entire disk so that it can all be used by Lubuntu

Thanks!
    Last edited by coolpontiac; March 1st, 2023 at 03:30 AM. Reason: update that all is working ok!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

The latest release of Lubuntu is the 2022-October release.

The last release we had was Lubuntu 22.04.2 LTS, but it was just a re-spin (with upgraded packages & the HWE kernel stack) but of the earlier releases 2022-April release. It is the LTS option, and not the latest STABLE release.

The manual for Lubuntu 22.04 LTS can be found here - https://manual.lubuntu.me/lts/1/Installing_lubuntu.html

If a partition is marked as UNCLEAN (eg. contains a system on it such of windows, but file-system is unclean due to fastboor, hibernate etc being used on it), that space can be IGNORED by the installer as the UNCLEAN flag is treated as a warning; your own setup may not be default with data spread across multiple partitions etc. The Erase Disk option I would expect to show though (but I've encountered times where it won't show either; alas I forget the reasons for that).

If you can't get `calamares` (the installer used by Lubuntu) to do what you want, I'd suggest just restarting your live session (ie. reboot) & use KDE Partition Manager to delete partitions you don't want, create what you do want, then when you have what you need, exit the KDE Partition Manager, and then start the `calamares` installer... this time just selecting the partitions you've created (no need to format as you'll have done that I bet already).

The reboot I mention is mostly optional, but the reason I state it is I've encountered cases where `calamares` has left 'data in the stack' that can throw itself or KDE Partition Manager 'a little off' which result in a confusing error. It only happens rarely (but could if you're exploring around looking for an option, trying different things, there is a higher chance of this occurring thus my suggestion to reboot). The installer provided with 22.04.1 & 22.04.2 is improved over what we released with the initial 22.04 media (alas not as good as on the later 22.10 release).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Just select "Manual partitioning" and take it from there. As you're doing a new install and want to get rid of old Windows stuff, it's no big deal.
    Click "New partition table" and start adding your partitions.
    Add the first partition with size 30000 (MB), file system ext4, select format, mount point /, boot.
    Then add whatever other partitions you need (eg, /home).
    Nothing dangerous about it. But back up your data first, of course.

Beans

I just booted up a virtual machine under KVM and installed Lubuntu 22.04.2 to it. (22.04.1 was not available.) By default it came up with a desktop with an icon to "Install Lubuntu 22.04 LTS". I clicked on that icon to run the installer, and when I got to the Partitions screen, there is an "Erase disk" option. If you choose that, your Windows partitions will disappear.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    and when I got to the Partitions screen, there is an "Erase disk" option.
    I just did the same, and somehow this "Erase disk" option is very elusive. I'm not able to find it anywhere. Please show us where you found it. It's certainly not there on the standard install (and not on 20.04 either).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by ne29914 View Post
    ...this "Erase disk" option is very elusive.
    The Ubuntu (and various flavors) goes thru selecting language keyboard language and layout and area zone. Then you have a choice of how to install: along side another distro (usually names the distro) or install Ubuntu (something like entire disk) or manually partitioning. After you select install Ubuntu (to disk or to entire disk - something) you will get a warning: Warning - this will erase all partitions, files, data and so on.

That warning should indicate you are about to blow away everything on the drive.
    Ubuntu 22.04 | Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD
    Fedora 38 | Lenovo Edge 15 | i5 1.7Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 4400 | 6GB RAM | 1TB HDD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

A picture says a thousand words... I spun up one of my ISO Tester VM's and took a screenshot for you. That should be a good visual aid to what is being discussed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

If you no longer want the windows partitions, another option is to use the Try Lubuntu selection and open the partition manager and simply format the windows partitions. If you are using UEFI, be sure to NOT format the EFI/vfat partition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast