Thread: Installing Lunar Lobster 23.04 in VMware Player on Ubuntu 22.04

Beans

Installing Lunar Lobster 23.04 in VMware Player on Ubuntu 22.04

My BaseOS is Ubuntu 22.04 with VMware Player 17.0.1 installed. I've installed many Linux variants over the years (and Windows) as VMs. So, I'm familiar with the installation sequence of Ubuntu booting as a VM and then having the Ubuntu GUI install asking: Select keyboard, Download updates, Installation type (erase disk), Time Zone, User/pass, etc. Even with an SSD it takes a few (5?) minutes. Fine.

I've downloaded the Lunar Lobster 23.04 daily build, 2023-2-16. VMware detects the ISO as 23.04. Then VMware (not the Ubuntu GUI) asks me for the user/pass. The Ubuntu boots but there is no guided install GUI. The GUI login screen pops up quicker that with the 22.04 install for comparison. The user/pass I entered don't work. I pulled up a terminal and the login fails there too.

In searching with Google, I've not come across much. I did see that with VirtualBox, there was a suggestion to use 'changeme' as the password. Pretty thin info out there for VMware.

Any help? And, TY.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing Lunar Lobster 23.04 in VMware Player on Ubuntu 22.04

Thread moved to Virtualisation for a better fit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If the Lock Screen comes up (during a timeout in the Live Session), the Live Session Lock Screen dialog says "Live Session User"... There is no password set for this user. Just press the <Enter> key.

Note that the installer for the daily is broken right now. (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2484409) It goes in an infinite loop. So use an earlier "daily" build.

I don't know when they updated the UI, but the initial Try / Install screen used to be too large (and the buttons where almost off the screen), where you had to get rid of that first screen, then restart the installer for the graphics to work right. That has since been changed / updated...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 28th, 2023 at 10:36 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Are there any bugs reported for this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Update: Just tested Lunar Desktop Daily Build ISO 220230303. Working great.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Pretty standard. Prereleases are not for production or casual users. They are for people who want to submit bug reports to help get the release ready. If you need an OS that works then I suggest you use the latest LTS. You'll have a better experience. Jammy (the current latest LTS) is also supported long after Lunar is end of life (EOL)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

You've not said what Ubuntu lunar (23.04) ISO you were using; only gave a date (20230216)

A quick look at what's available http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/m...nes/441/builds & I see no desktop ISO that old (and there are two desktop ISOs with different installers), but I see a number of 0216 dated Server ISOs using the `subiquity` installer (five are listed with that date).

Given the date of that ISO (Feb 16) why try and use it? Sorry I'm a desktop user (almost exclusively) and thus don't even try and keep up with server issues on dailies, but the date to me is a huge clue (contrast the dates of ISOs with other builds on the iso tracker link I provided!).

I suggest being specific as to build/architecture etc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brendan7707 View Post
    My BaseOS is Ubuntu 22.04 with VMware Player 17.0.1 installed. I've installed many Linux variants over the years (and Windows) as VMs. So, I'm familiar with the installation sequence of Ubuntu booting as a VM and then having the Ubuntu GUI install asking: Select keyboard, Download updates, Installation type (erase disk), Time Zone, User/pass, etc. Even with an SSD it takes a few (5?) minutes. Fine.

I've downloaded the Lunar Lobster 23.04 daily build, 2023-2-16. VMware detects the ISO as 23.04. Then VMware (not the Ubuntu GUI) asks me for the user/pass. The Ubuntu boots but there is no guided install GUI. The GUI login screen pops up quicker that with the 22.04 install for comparison. The user/pass I entered don't work. I pulled up a terminal and the login fails there too.

In searching with Google, I've not come across much. I did see that with VirtualBox, there was a suggestion to use 'changeme' as the password. Pretty thin info out there for VMware.

Any help? And, TY.
    I experienced this issue myself just now and I resolved it by not allowing VMWare Player to use "Easy Install" and instead chose "I'll install the OS Later" prompt. I went into the VM settings then and chose/verified the options and started the VM. I was able to then choose the "Try/Install" option and the install completed successfully.

Mark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    If the Lock Screen comes up (during a timeout in the Live Session), the Live Session Lock Screen dialog says "Live Session User"... There is no password set for this user. Just press the <Enter> key.

Note that the installer for the daily is broken right now. (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2484409) It goes in an infinite loop. So use an earlier "daily" build.

I don't know when they updated the UI, but the initial Try / Install screen used to be too large (and the buttons where almost off the screen), where you had to get rid of that first screen, then restart the installer for the graphics to work right. That has since been changed / updated...
    I downloaded the Live ISO image last night. Right now I am at the login prompt (it timed out) and I tried just hitting enter but it says: "Unlocking failed". Has something changed? Is there a password now? Oh, I just realized that this is a VMWare virtualization thread. I just used a USB Thumb drive. But if you know the answer, please reply.
    Last edited by jlynde; April 24th, 2023 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Noted that my situation is not virtualization.