Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have a multi-boot system, but cannot reach one of the Xubuntu installs

Beans

Re: I have a multi-boot system, but cannot reach one of the Xubuntu installs

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    If commenting out /boot you either have to reinstall kernel & grub or copy everything in /boot partition to /boot folder.

So sda9 did boot ok in UEFI mode?
    sda9 booted OK, but not in UEFI mode (using either sda or sdb boot sectors.
    And after copying all of /boot partition to sda10's /boot directory, and redoing update-grub and grub-install, I can boot to sda10.

That solves this issue. Thank you very much, oldfred.

Beans

If commenting out /boot you either have to reinstall kernel & grub or copy everything in /boot partition to /boot folder.

I marked this as SOLVED.

After copying all of the /boot partition to SDA10 /boot directory, and re-doing grub-update and install-grub, SDA10 boots. From both SDA and SDB it boots in Legacy mode, judging from the lack of 'efi' in /sys/firmware.

The same is true of SDA9.

Beans

I marked this thread SOLVED before answering this, so I'm adding it now. (Oddly this is my third or fourth try).

I copied the /boot partition ot sda10's /boot folder, and all seemed well.

Both sda9 and sda10 boot just fine, but not in UEFI mode, judging by the lack of 'efi' in /sys/firmware.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Since fstab had the mount of the ESP, I thought your install was UEFI.
    But if it works that is great.

Note that sda as MBR(msdos) allows grub to install without issue as there is a bit of room between MBR & first partition for more grub code (core.img)
    But all your other drives are gpt, most commonly used with UEFI, but you can use grub in BIOS mode. But with gpt there is no space after gpt's protective MBR & start of gpt partition table. So for BIOS boot with gpt drives you must have a tiny 1 or 2MB unformatted partition with bios_grub flag.
    then you can have different grub installs in each drive's MBR.

But I still think since system is UEFI, probably better to convert to UEFI boot.
    And eventually convert sda to gpt. But that will erase drive, so good backups required.
    I converted all drives to gpt starting in 2010, but only when totally redoing drive or replacing drive.

Grub will only boot other installs in same boot mode as once you start booting in one mode UEFI or BIOS you cannot switch to other boot mode.
    Last edited by oldfred; February 11th, 2023 at 04:35 AM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12