Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could not find Wine Gecko. HTML rendering will be disabled.

Beans

Could not find Wine Gecko. HTML rendering will be disabled.

Sorry but I'm a relative newbie to Ubuntu after getting frustrated with it ~ ten years ago. After my last Win machine died I decided to try Ubuntu once again. So far it seems to be working fairly smooth. I'm installed Libreoffice and Evolution to bypass the need for Office and Outlook and they seem to be working flawlessly/

Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
    Wine:
    wine-6.0.3 (Ubuntu 6.0.3~repack-1)

I'm trying to run a Windows app and am getting the above error even though I installed both the 32 and 64 bit Gecko files. I searched around and found some suggestions that indicated that I might need winbind and winetweaks but neither made any difference. FWIW I also get the same error from "wine iexplore". It starts and shows a "normal" Wine Internet Explorer window but is just a blank sheet below the toolbar. Specifying a fully qualified URL does nothing The windows app I'm trying to run does the same from the CLI.

Terminal yields the following error for "wine iexplore":
    "Could not find Wine Gecko. HTML rendering will be disabled.
    0024:err:mshtml:create_document_object Failed to init Gecko, returning CLASS_E_CLASSNOTAVAILABLE"

wine iexplore https://www.google.com gives the same error in terminal

I tried to create a .desktop icon entry but it does nothing at all (figure it wouldn't but thought the full path might be required).

From searching I see similar problems over the years but can't seem to find a solution. Any suggestions how to proceed?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Could not find Wine Gecko. HTML rendering will be disabled.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...ication&iId=25 has the available information for running IE under WINE. Appears to be mostly "garbage" level with no versions for OS later than Win7 listed. There was 1 report that claimed "bronze" level support, but no how-to has been shared.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

There may be many reasons that you don't want to divulge the app you keep referring to. Understandable if so. However, without knowing what app you are having trouble with, it is pretty much impossible to help you.

Speaking in general, here are my observations:

• Trying to run Windows apps in Linux is basically forcing a round peg into a square hole. The real miracle is that it can be done at all. With WINE, there is a fighting chance, but that is the WINE developers' gift to us; not a default set of expectations to which we have any right.
    • Most people who simply must run a particular Windows app, but who wish to use Linux on their base system for its power, flexibility and security, will run Windows inside a VM. That way, they don't have to compromise on their base OS and have the additional benefit of sandboxing Windows inside a security silo where it cannot do any damage. However, this is not a viable alternative on low‑end or resource‑limited machines.
    • If you really want to run the app in WINE irrespective of the above, then you need to check it against the WINEHQ App Database where others have stress tested the app and posted any known workarounds. If that database rates the app as anything less than "silver" status, you are unlikely to be happy with the results.
    • I do run WINE quite successfully with many old Windows games. But games are not mission‑critical and, after many years, I know my way around WINE, especially when it comes to obscure workarounds that general users are unlikely to either understand or be capable of implementing. For example, CIV 3 cannot use the latest version of WINE and can run on an older version only by disabling MESA. I can accommodate this without breaking my base system by running that specific instance of WINE within a LXD container. Such a setup is not for the faint of heart.
    • I would not consider running mission‑critical Windows apps in WINE. A simple update could break the app, which is not a risk worth taking for something on which my livelihood might depend.

Beans

Fair enough Duck.

Specifically the app I'm trying to get running is HRB Taxcut 2022. From browsing the WINEHQ app database (and googling) the last reference I could find was back to 2017 and nothing more recent.

No, I know it isn't critical but, the alternatives I've looked at appear less than ideal.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I run that app inside a Windows VM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I run that app inside a Windows VM.
    +1

TheFu beat me to it. The app does not appear to be resource‑hungry and should run nicely within a Windows VM.

Beans

Hmm.

Ok so I get that Wine isn't the way to go.. I installed VirtualBox according to the installing Windows 10/11 tutorial. I got l several warnings about incompatible settings until I fell back to a minimum 32 bit Win10 config. After starting the VM and selecting the Win 10 iso I get the following error?

"Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows.

AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS) (VERR_SVM_DISABLED).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
    Component: ConsoleWrap
    Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}"

Is the old computer I'm using is too outdated/limited or am I missing something?

Beans

For your wine problem.maybe you have 32 bit gecko for 64 bit wine https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=36011

For your VM problem https://appuals.com/fix-amd-v-is-dis..._svm_disabled/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by off-track View Post
    …Is the old computer I'm using is too outdated/limited…
    To answer this question, we would need to know the details of your HW.

Please post those details:

• Age, make/model of machine (at least the motherboard)
    • Amount of RAM

Windows is a resource pig. When you run it in a VM, it slows down even further. If you switched to Ubuntu because your machine was performing poorly when running Windows, then it will almost certainly be unbearable running in a VM, hence my original caveat:
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    …However, this is not a viable alternative on low‑end or resource‑limited machines.
    The single biggest improvement comes from adding more RAM. The next biggest improvement comes from switching the HDD for an SSD. Then comes replacing the GPU. The least payback is upgrading the CPU/MOBO. At that point, it makes more sense to invest in a new computer.
    …or am I missing something?
    To run a VM effectively, your CPU must be configured to allow virtualization. This is usually a setting in your BIOS that is turned off by default because, as a general security precaution, the less "stuff" that is enabled in your system BIOS, the smaller your attack surface. You must find this setting and turn it on. Your VM won't run unless you do that.

monkeybrain has kindly linked to a good article that contains further steps if the above is not enough.

Beans

Please forgive me as I'm new to this forum and haven't fooled with Ubuntu for at least 10 years. Also, it was in a past life when I used a Windows VM under RHeL

My old PC died and I didn't want to support MS and their office subscription model. I had this old HP down in the storeroom and thought I'd give it a shot? So far it seems to be working well for my limited needs (internet browsing, routine documents, e-mail & CPAP). I am unable to post screenshots from hardinfo but it indicates that it's a HP 2AFE and there's only 3Gb memory. I'll have to pop the top to see if it's expandable but I kind of doubt it?

Thanks monkey for the info. Yes, VM was disabled in BIOS. With that enabled the VM machine does start but the dialog window appears scrambled with only a title bar and a message about "Auto-capture keyboard enabled". Again, I can't post screenshot..

.. edit .. Arrgh! obviously I posted too soon as I found there was a loose nut behind the wheel. Somehow VirtualBox changed the VM to Win7?? When I deleted it and corrected to Win 10 the install started
    Last edited by off-track; February 6th, 2023 at 06:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast