Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kernel upgrade, nvidia problems, can't enter recovery mode or access terminal

Beans

Kernel upgrade, nvidia problems, can't enter recovery mode or access terminal

My desktop machine is unable to boot. I strongly suspect it is related to nvidia driver issues, I would love to get to a console so I can nuke it from the system and see if I can boot again.

I am running Ubuntu 18.04 with Nvidia EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 card.

This started when I was trying to upgrade my linux drivers by running command: `sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall`

After that, I was unable to login to my account, where I would constantly get directed back to the login screen after entering my password.

After failing to boot, I went to advanced mode and had the option of 4.15.0-96-generic or 4.15.0-91-generic. (see https://i.imgur.com/2uLTP6e.jpg)

I booted into recovery mode with 4.15.0-91-generic, and after [following another post](https://askubuntu.com/questions/4193...known-block0-0) was able to get the machine to boot with:
    - `sudo apt-get remove --purge "nvidia-*"`
    - `update-initramfs -u -k 4.15.0-91-generic`
    - `update-grub`

This let me login and get to my desktop, but it was running in resolution 1024X768 resolution on my 4k monitor, which wasn't usable. I rebooted, and now I can't get any of the options to work.

Working through them in order:

- 4.15.0-96-generic (both) fail with: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount fs on unknown-block(0,0). (see https://i.imgur.com/ue1KjBq.jpg) From what I can tell, when you see this the best option is to try the other kernels listed.

- 4.15.0-91-generic now gets stuck booting to recover mode at: "[ OK ]: AppArmor initialiation" or "[ OK ] Started Network Time Synchronization". (see https://i.imgur.com/7vRWMT1.jpg) This was how I was able to run the `update-initramfs` command earlier, and now it's not responding to Alt+Shift+F3 to bring me to console

- 4.15.0-91-generic (recovery mode) lets me decrypt my drives, and then ends in a series of black flashing screens. I suspect this is nvidia related based on what I have read.

As best as I can tell, I may want to update grub so that it uses 4.15.0-91-generic (currently initrd.img-4-15-0-96-generic, see https://i.imgur.com/ClgcDVS.jpg) and replacing `quiet splash` with `nomodeset` to try to get to a terminal. From there, I'm cautiously optimistic I can follow the stickied Nvidia post, but I'm not sure how to do this with kernel problems as I'm dealing with nvidia problems and I really don't want to make this worse.

Thank you!
    Last edited by janderson9er; January 22nd, 2023 at 08:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Kernel upgrade, nvidia problems, can't enter recovery mode or access terminal

Why are you running such an old and out of date kernel?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Re: Kernel upgrade, nvidia problems, can't enter recovery mode or access terminal

No reason in particular. It hasn't been a problem and I wasn't aware I was that out of date.

Is that going to be a problem? Is there anything I can do to get back to a terminal from here?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You didn't mention your Ubuntu release or any details on your nvidia graphics (not that I know much about nvidia stuff).

Kernel series 4.15 is used on Ubuntu 18.04 (3 months of support left), which is currently at 4.15.0-202. 4.15.0-96 was apparently released in April 2020. I don't know what nvidia provides, but they won't support old kernels forever.

Beans

Whoops, I missed copy pasting that into my original message. Sorry about that. I'll update that.

I am running Ubuntu 18.04 with Nvidia EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 card.

Basically, I'm wondering if I can just edit the grub config to point to 91 and try to access console from there. If I can get to the console, I can uninstall nvidia drivers, get to a state where I can boot and login, and back everything up. I'll re-format and install latest version, but I can't even access the terminal.
    Last edited by janderson9er; January 22nd, 2023 at 08:26 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

What nvidia driver are you using and how did you install it? I hope you used the Additional Drivers utility and did not go direct to nvidia.

There have been a few difficulties with the nvidia 525 driver pulling in unusual and broken kernels in the 22.04 Ubuntu version but I haven't heard anything about this happening in 18.04, and in the 22.04 problems the kernel pulled in by the nvidia driver was a 5.15.0-1025-oracle version which is not happening in your system.

Let's see the output of command
    Code:
    apt list --installed | grep *nvidia
    which may give more clues as to what is going on and should tell us hopefully the nvidia driver you're using if you are not already aware of the version.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; January 22nd, 2023 at 09:36 PM.

Beans

Hi, thanks for you help! I want to say I was running 510, but I'm not positive.

Unfortunately, I am unable to get to a terminal anywhere to be able to run that command. All 4 of the kernel options I have in Grub are not booting, and I haven't been able to get to a terminal.

I think the drivers are a bit of a misdirect, in that the first step is I need to get to a terminal to be able to fix my kernel issues.
    Last edited by janderson9er; January 22nd, 2023 at 10:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro

janderson9er; Hello

Try the nomodeset boot parameter to isolate as a graphic's issue:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132 <- How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2

If you can boot here we can look there.

there is a process
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to hear.

Is it safe for me to update the kernel version too? It's pointing to 4.15.0-96-generic, but I probably need to boot into 4.15.0-91-generic.

Beans
    Distro

janderson9er; Hey -

Yeah:
    but I probably need to boot into 4.15.0-91-generic
    When you boot to grub's boot menu there should be at least one other kernel that you may select to boot.

A good thought on your part to see what results when booting a different kernel version. Maybe like, that the graphic's driver failed to build on the newer kernel ?

gots to be a reason
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast