Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kernel upgrade, nvidia problems, can't enter recovery mode or access terminal

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Kernel upgrade, nvidia problems, can't enter recovery mode or access terminal

If it still does not boot, I have a couple of ideas.

Option 1.) At the Grub boot menu, on a boot menu option, Press the <E> key to get into an edit mode, <Arrow-Down> to the line that starts with the word "linux"... <Arrow-Right> to after the word "ro" and before "quiet splash ${vthandoff}:... Delete all that and enter append
    Code:
    --- nomodeset --verbose debug 3
    Then <Cntrl><X> to boot those options.

That should not only try to boot, but also toggles it to boot into RC_LEVEL 3, which is text console. When that happens, it should not even try to use the graphics driver. (More of a chance) If it does not boot, it should show some kind of hint at that level of debug messaging.

Option 2.) Boot off an Ubuntu Live Install media and mount the installed OS, chroot into it, to remove the NVidida drivers and rebuild the initramfs image. More instructions can be provided if you need to do this.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; January 24th, 2023 at 11:31 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Re: Kernel upgrade, nvidia problems, can't enter recovery mode or access terminal

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    If it still does not boot, I have a couple of ideas.

Option 1.) At the Grub boot menu, on a boot menu option, Press the <E> key to get into an edit mode, <Arrow-Down> to the line that starts with the word "linux"... <Arrow-Right> to after the word "ro" and before "quiet splash ${vthandoff}:... Delete all that and enter append
    Code:
    --- nomodeset --verbose debug 3
    Then <Cntrl><X> to boot those options.

That should not only try to boot, but also toggles it to boot into RC_LEVEL 3, which is text console. When that happens, it should not even try to use the graphics driver. (More of a chance) If it does not boot, it should show some kind of hint at that level of debug messaging.

Option 2.) Boot off an Ubuntu Live Install media and mount the installed OS, chroot into it, to remove the NVidida drivers and rebuild the initramfs image. More instructions can be provided if you need to do this.
    Hi, thank you for your help!

I was able to get back to my machine today, and ran into some trouble.

I went through the following trouble-shooting steps:
    - Update grub to boot to 91 instead of 96, stuck loading 18.04 Ubuntu for a while, booted to BusyBox v.1.27.2 "initramfs" blinking terminal that would not respond (no typing recognized, "help" + enter did nothing).
    - Followed the advice from MAFoElffen and booted into v91 with --- nomodeset --verbose debug 3 , which booted into BusyBoxy 1.27.2 with the same unresponsive terminal.

I am able to decrypt the drives when I try to enter recovery mode, but I have not been asked to decrypt them by the time I get to the BusyBox prompt.

I really appreciate the help! It sounds like I may need option 2, or maybe something else to continue.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by janderson9er View Post
    I am able to decrypt the drives when I try to enter recovery mode, but I have not been asked to decrypt them by the time I get to the BusyBox prompt.
    How is it encrypted? Please describe. That will affect instructions for Option #2...

EDIT: LUKS? LVM? ZFS? Just the Home? ROOT? ETC...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; January 30th, 2023 at 09:15 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

How is it encrypted? Please describe. That will affect instructions for Option #2...

EDIT: LUKS? LVM? ZFS? Just the Home? ROOT? ETC...

Sorry, I did this a while ago and it was when I was new with Ubuntu, so I'm not sure.

It is full disk encryption (all drives) and would have been done through a GUI, but I can't remember exactly what I did.

It asks me to decrypt on boot, decrypts all the drives with the same password but each drive is separate (not merged or split at all), if that helps any.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That open more questions. Please run the boot repait disk and submit a report...

Beans

I thought that might make it worse, lol. Appreciate your help! I'll be near that computer again in a few days and will post the report.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thank you... Yes. Saying it is "encrypted" could mean LUKS (1 or 2), LVM2 Native encryption or ZFS Native encryption... And there are instructions for each, based on what it is...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

For example, if it turns out that it is LVM, then:
    Code:
    # Boot the live (Desktop) CD and install lvm2 and cryptsetup.
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install lvm2 cryptsetup

# Load the cryptsetup module.
    sudo modprobe dm-crypt

# To find your root volume
    sudo lsblk

# Decrypt your file system.
    # Adjust this to where your root volume is...
    sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda1 crypt

# Get the live CD to recognize (activate) your LVM.
    sudo vgscan --mknodes
    sudo vgchange -ay

# Use this to ID where your root is in /dev/mapper
    ls /dev/mapper

# You can now access / mount the crypt
    # Adjust this to where your root is...
    sudo mkdir /mnt/crypt_root
    sudo mount /dev/mapper/root /mnt/crypt_root

sudo -i

# mount your boot partition in the chroot, if separate
    # If you do not have a separate boot, skip this
    mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/chroot_root/boot

# mount home, also if you have a separate home
    # If you do not have a separate home, skip this
    mount /dev/your_home_partition

cd /mnt/crypt_root
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/crypt_root/dev
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/crypt_root/proc
    mount -o bind /run /mnt/crypt_root/run
    chroot /mnt/crypt_root --login
    mount -a
    Then do what you need to do. When through, type "exit" to get out of the chroot.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 2nd, 2023 at 09:26 PM.

Beans

That open more questions. Please run the boot repait disk and submit a report...
    Hi, I have a pastebin link with my boot repair report. It looks like I am using LUKS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This i how I open LUKS encrytpted drives
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lsblk
    NAME   MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    loop0    7:0    0    2G  1 loop /rofs
    loop1    7:1    0 55.4M  1 loop /snap/core18/2128
    loop2    7:2    0  219M  1 loop /snap/gnome-3-34-1804/72
    loop3    7:3    0 32.3M  1 loop /snap/snapd/12704
    loop4    7:4    0 65.1M  1 loop /snap/gtk-common-themes/1515
    loop5    7:5    0   51M  1 loop /snap/snap-store/547
    sr0     11:0    1  2.9G  0 rom  /cdrom
    vda    252:0    0   25G  0 disk 
    ├─vda1 252:1    0    2M  0 part 
    ├─vda2 252:2    0  128M  0 part 
    ├─vda3 252:3    0  768M  0 part 
    └─vda5 252:5    0 24.1G  0 part 

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo -i

root@ubuntu:~# export DEV="/dev/vda"

root@ubuntu:~# export DM="${DEV##*/}"

root@ubuntu:~# export DEVP="${DEV}$( if [[ "$DEV" =~ "nvme" ]]; then echo "p"; fi )"

root@ubuntu:~# export DM="${DM}$( if [[ "$DM" =~ "nvme" ]]; then echo "p"; fi )"

root@ubuntu:~# sgdisk --print $DEV
    Disk /dev/vda: 52428800 sectors, 25.0 GiB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512/512 bytes
    Disk identifier (GUID): F55FCB42-F356-4C7B-A747-5D046D7B8907
    Partition table holds up to 128 entries
    Main partition table begins at sector 2 and ends at sector 33
    First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 52428766
    Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries
    Total free space is 2014 sectors (1007.0 KiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
       1            2048            6143   2.0 MiB     EF02  GRUB
       2            6144          268287   128.0 MiB   EF00  EFI-SP
       3          268288         1841151   768.0 MiB   8301  /boot
       5         1841152        52428766   24.1 GiB    8301  rootfs

root@ubuntu:~# ls /dev/mapper/
    control  LUKS_BOOT  ubuntu--vg-root  ubuntu--vg-swap_1  vda5_crypt

root@ubuntu:~# cryptsetup open ${DEVP}3 LUKS_BOOT
    Enter passphrase for /dev/vda3: 

root@ubuntu:~# cryptsetup open ${DEVP}5 ${DM}5_crypt
    Enter passphrase for /dev/vda5:
    Whereas yours is only encrypted on /dev/sda5, so change to sda and related...
    Then I would change to mount that drive to /mnt and chroot into it to make your changes...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 12th, 2023 at 12:29 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast