Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black screen at normal boot; login loop at terminal boot - after upgrading to 22.04

Beans

Black screen at normal boot; login loop at terminal boot - after upgrading to 22.04

Hello all,

I was hoping your expertise could help me get closer to a solution to a particularly nasty problem I am having after upgrading Ubuntu 20.04 LTS to 22.04 LTS in my workstation (which has a Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb GPU installed).

Basically, after that upgrade, the computer ceased being able to boot. Regular boot attempts result in the well known black screen with blinking and non-responsive cursor.

However, in my case, if I drop to terminal mode, e.g. with Ctrl+Alt+F1, login attempts with any user name/password registered in the system lead to a terminal login loop (not desktop login loop) - that is, after correct user name and password are inserted, it just goes back to the same login terminal prompt.
    The only exception is if I log with user "root" and the root password at the terminal login prompt - that works and leads to a regular terminal session (same works at recovery mode).

What have I tried:

• the usual nomodeset and no splash parameters for logging in (see);
    • the usual sudo apt-get update + sudo apt-get upgrade + sudo apt-get dist-upgrade (see);
    • reinstalling Nvidia most recent drivers via root terminal (see);
    • turning off Wayland (see);
    • turning on and reconfiguring lightdm (sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm) (see);
    • tried gdm3 instead of lightdm (see);
    • checking .Xauthority (see);
    • checking if my disk is full (see);
    • reinstalling the desktop environment (see);
    • reinstalling the kernel (see);

My question: what else can be done to try to solve this problem? My impression is that the key is to, first, understand what it causing the login-loop at terminal mode - but I have found very scarce mentions online to login-loop issues at terminal mode (desktop login-loop issues are somewhat common).

Thanks for any suggestions!

EDIT: Note that I never get to a desktop login screen - standard boot leads to black screen with flashing cursor. Then when I drop to tty for terminal mode login, logging in with any user other than "root" (including a new user created for test purposes) leads to terminal login loop.

EDIT 2: GRUB works - the blank screen with flashing cursor appears after the Ubuntu loading screen. Then, when the blank screen with flashing cursor appears, I go to tty with Ctr-Alt-Fx. Logging in at the terminal login screen with any user other than "root" just loops back to the terminal login screen.
    Last edited by louisash; January 18th, 2023 at 11:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Black screen at normal boot; login loop at terminal boot - after upgrading to 22.

Are you aware of the two display servers available in Ubuntu 22.04 - Xorg and Wayland?
    Nvidia and Wayland are not happy bedfellows yet.
    Have you tried to boot into a Xorg session?
    Select session as indicated in the attachment.
    Any help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Black screen at normal boot; login loop at terminal boot - after upgrading to 22.

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately, however:

1- I never get to a desktop login screen; like I said the computer boots to a black screen with flashing cursor (so it never gets to the desktop login screen). Then, when I drop to terminal login, logging in with any user other than "root" leads to a login-loop.
    2- note that I did try turning Wayland off via terminal and rebooting.

Beans
    Distro

In your first post, you mention gdm3 and lightdm.
    Do you have more than one Desktop Environment?

Also, was this an in-situ upgrade?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    In your first post, you mention gdm3 and lightdm.
    Do you have more than one Desktop Environment?

Also, was this an in-situ upgrade?
    I installed gdm3 to test if using it would be of any help. I have tried both, with no luck (in fact, if using gdm3 I cannot even alternate to tty with Ctr+Alt+Fx" at the black screen with flashing cursor; so I reverted back to using lightdm).

And if by in-situ upgrade you mean upgrading from 20.4 LTS to 22.04 LTS without erasing/formatting the prior 20.04 LTS installation, yes. I upgraded from the Software Updates.

Beans
    Distro

When in-situ upgrades go pear-shaped, it is often difficult to pinpoint where the problem(s) exist.
    There is a vast amount of info here about black screens https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535 posted by MAFoElffen, an experienced user.
    Have a look and see if there are any clues.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Do you or can you get grub menu & boot recovery mode?
    turn on Internet & reinstall nVidia driver?

Did you purge nVidia drivers before installing a new one?
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*
    sudo ubuntu-drivers devices
    sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    When in-situ upgrades go pear-shaped, it is often difficult to pinpoint where the problem(s) exist.
    There is a vast amount of info here about black screens https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535 posted by MAFoElffen, an experienced user.
    Have a look and see if there are any clues.
    I spent a long time exploring that link, thanks. However, those solutions are either for when GRUB is not available yet, or for when loging from tty is possible. The center of my problem is that login is not possible with any user other than root in the tty terminal login screen.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Do you or can you get grub menu & boot recovery mode?
    turn on Internet & reinstall nVidia driver?

Did you purge nVidia drivers before installing a new one?
    I do get to GRUB, then to the Ubuntu loading screen, then to the back screen with flashing cursor. Then, during the blank screen with flashing cursor, if I drop to terminal with Ctr+Alt+Fx, I see the terminal login screen. However, if I enter *correct* login and password info of any user other than root, hitting Enter just shows again the terminal login screen.

Yes, I can get to recovery mode, but no, I cannot enable network there. Digging more to find out why, I noted that my syslog has a bunch of "Permission Denied" errors. But I can normally purge and reinstall NVidia drivers from booting with a USB Ubuntu ISO. Nothing changes.

Beans

After an insanely time consuming journey, I found out that the login loop at terminal was being caused by some permission issues - which I never altered myself. Anyway, the solution was to reestablish the following:

chmod 755 /
    chmod 755 /bin
    chmod 755 /lib
    chmod 755 /lib64

With that, I was able to login via terminal with any user, at tty.
    Then, the black screen with flashing cursor was treated with an install of the very recent Kernel 5.15.58:

sudo apt-get install linux-image-5.15.0-58-generic

And a purge + reinstall of the most recent Nvidia drivers:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just as a reference to what is normal:
    Code:
    mafoelffen@Mikes-ThinkPad-T520:~$ ls -l /.
    total 2097244
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root          7 Sep 23  2021 bin -> usr/bin
    drwxr-xr-x   4 root root       4096 Jan 18 22:59 boot
    drwxr-xr-x   2 root root       4096 Sep 23  2021 cdrom
    drwxr-xr-x  20 root root       4860 Jan 18 22:26 dev
    drwxr-xr-x 169 root root      12288 Jan 18 23:07 etc
    drwxr-xr-x   4 root root       4096 Dec 16  2021 home
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root          7 Sep 23  2021 lib -> usr/lib
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root          9 Sep 23  2021 lib32 -> usr/lib32
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root          9 Sep 23  2021 lib64 -> usr/lib64
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root         10 Sep 23  2021 libx32 -> usr/libx32
    drwx------   2 root root      16384 Sep 23  2021 lost+found
    drwxr-xr-x   3 root root       4096 Jan 18 22:26 media
    drwxr-xr-x   6 root root       4096 Aug 31 09:38 mnt
    drwxr-xr-x   3 root root       4096 Nov 25 06:54 nfs
    drwxr-xr-x   6 root root       4096 Jan 18 22:58 opt
    dr-xr-xr-x 534 root root          0 Jan 18 22:26 proc
    drwx------  12 root root       4096 Jan 18 22:14 root
    drwxr-xr-x  48 root root       1440 Jan 19 06:03 run
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root          8 Sep 23  2021 sbin -> usr/sbin
    drwxr-xr-x  16 root root       4096 Oct  9 15:28 snap
    drwxr-xr-x   2 root root       4096 Aug 19  2021 srv
    -rw-------   1 root root 2147483648 Sep 23  2021 swapfile
    dr-xr-xr-x  13 root root          0 Jan 18 22:26 sys
    drwxrwxrwt  26 root root      12288 Jan 19 06:28 tmp
    drwxr-xr-x  14 root root       4096 Aug 19  2021 usr
    drwxr-xr-x  16 root root       4096 Jan 18 22:13 var

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast