Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You are not allowed to perform this action

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You are not allowed to perform this action

I get this when I try to use the GUI software updater.

I rebooted. That changed nothing. I noticed after launching the Software Updater the window shows up and briefly says "awaiting authentication' then displays the "not allowed to perform this action. Is this something to do with pam?

I also cannot view my USB external drives, get this message:

Seriously all was fine yesterday and I have installed no new software or made any changes in over 2 or more weeks, but have run sudo apt update/upgrade in terminal daily. Also my backups are also now failing due to access denied when trying to run. I cannot use grsync either. Same reason. I am in the sudo group and the only one in that group.

I have been doing som Google searches and more than one mention to check if gksudo is installed. If I run gksudo from CLI, it says basically not found. I think this is depricated.

so since everything works from the terminal and not when using GUI applications I can assume the app is not actually invoking the pop-up to authenticate in GUI. As I mentioned previously I did not perform the partial upgrade.

Is there something from the syslog or other info you require to help you help me solve this that I need to post? It basically seems that the GUI is not challenging authentication - it doesn't produce the popup authentication window. It works fine in Terminal. I am open to learning and doing this by myself, and I will keep looking, but I do need a hand with this issue.

Any help is definitely appreciated

Linux is NOT Windows. Doesn't PRETEND to be, Doesn't WANT to be; Don't try to MAKE it be.

Beans
    Distro

Re: You are not allowed to perform this action

mickee@mickeymouse:~$ sudo -l
    [sudo] password for mickee:
    Matching Defaults entries for mickee on mickeymouse:
    env_reset, mail_badpass,
    secure_path=/usr/local/sbin\:/usr/local/bin\:/usr/sbin\:/usr/bin\:/sbin\:/bin\:/snap/bin,
    use_pty

User mickee may run the following commands on mickeymouse:
    (ALL : ALL) ALL

Linux is NOT Windows. Doesn't PRETEND to be, Doesn't WANT to be; Don't try to MAKE it be.

Beans
    Distro

I don't think The PolicyKit Authentication Agent is running but is in the Start up applications:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/polkit-mate/polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1

To be sure I ran that command in Terminal and got this output:

Code:
    sudo /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/polkit-mate/polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1
    ```
    Code:
    (polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1:830904): GLib-CRITICAL **: 08:27:44.712: g_variant_new_string: assertion 'string != NULL' failed

(polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1:830904): polkit-mate-1-WARNING **: 08:27:44.713: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
    ```

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    mickee@mickeymouse:~$ sudo systemctl status polkit.service
    [sudo] password for mickee: 
    ● polkit.service - Authorization Manager
         Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/polkit.service; static)
         Active: active (running) since Wed 2022-12-14 20:24:29 CST; 1 day 12h ago
           Docs: man:polkit(8)
       Main PID: 1739 (polkitd)
          Tasks: 3 (limit: 18908)
         Memory: 6.4M
            CPU: 1.770s
         CGroup: /system.slice/polkit.service
                 └─1739 /usr/libexec/polkitd --no-debug

Dec 16 08:27:32 mickeymouse polkitd(authority=local)[1739]: Registered Authenti>
    Dec 16 08:27:38 mickeymouse polkitd(authority=local)[1739]: Unregistered Authen>
    Dec 16 08:27:38 mickeymouse polkitd(authority=local)[1739]: Unregistered Authen>
    Dec 16 08:27:38 mickeymouse polkitd(authority=local)[1739]: Registered Authenti>
    Dec 16 08:27:44 mickeymouse polkitd(authority=local)[1739]: Registered Authenti>
    Dec 16 08:34:55 mickeymouse polkitd(authority=local)[1739]: Unregistered Authen>
    Dec 16 08:35:26 mickeymouse polkitd(authority=local)[1739]: Registered Authenti>
    Dec 16 08:35:33 mickeymouse polkitd(authority=local)[1739]: Unregistered Authen>
    Dec 16 08:38:14 mickeymouse polkitd(authority=local)[1739]: Registered Authenti>
    Dec 16 08:38:27 mickeymouse polkitd(authority=local)[1739]: Unregistered Authen

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Looks like you may have gotten a bad update due to patching too often.
    I'd check using 'id' if you are still in the sudo group. Besides that, I'd use the CLI for not to do patching/installs and system work.

May want to consider patching less often, say weekly, and never when you need the system to work perfect. I patch weekly, only on weekends, when I have an extra hour to fix or restore from a backup if things like this happen. If you are using a volume manager, then you could create a snapshot before patching and discard any changes afterwards. That would be possible with ZFS, BTRFS, or LVM-based systems.
    https://www.tecmint.com/take-snapsho...estore-in-lvm/ has a guide for this using LVM. Just don't keep the snapshot forever, only as long as you need to know that nothing catastrophically bad happened. Snapshots are handy for getting perfect backups, without corruption, too.

A key part of being a good admin is AVOIDING issues before they happen and having a plan to put things back easily if they do happen.

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    mickee@mickeymouse:~$ /usr/lib/mate-polkit/polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1
    bash: /usr/lib/mate-polkit/polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1: No such file or directory

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for your response. I will change the frequency of updates. Here is the output of "id"

Code:
    mickee@mickeymouse:~$ id
    uid=1000(mickee) gid=1000(mickee) groups=1000(mickee),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),30(dip),46(plugdev),121(lpadmin),135(lxd),136(sambashare),138(vboxusers)
    Is there a solution to this issue or do I have to reinstall?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mickee384 View Post
    Thank you for your response. I will change the frequency of updates. Here is the output of "id"

Code:
    mickee@mickeymouse:~$ id
    uid=1000(mickee) gid=1000(mickee) groups=1000(mickee),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),30(dip),46(plugdev),121(lpadmin),135(lxd),136(sambashare),138(vboxusers)
    Is there a solution to this issue or do I have to reinstall?
    I don't know. I don't have this issue. I'd wait a few days, then update again, now that you have a workaround. It would be good to pull the logs to see what was updated via snap and apt the last few days. That could help you to recognize when/if a fix is applied. APT has logs under /var/log/ just like every other subsystem.

If I need to elevate privileges for a GUI program, I'll use 'sudo -H {gui-program-name}' to force the HOME environment variable to be set to the user's HOME for the user I'm switching into.

sudo isn't just for becoming root. It can be used to become any user on the system unless your sudo access is limited by another admin to prevent it. 99.999% of users barely use sudo's massive capabilities.
    Last edited by TheFu; December 16th, 2022 at 04:45 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The first think I suspected was permissions and group membership... sudo for possible elevated permissions, and plugdev for mounts (includes USB's). If it were something with gksudo or equivalent, you would not have the errors on USB's (plugdev). So then have you submit the output from "id".

And you did. AND Your group memberships look good(???) They are all the standard group memberships for an admin user.

The only thing I would suggest now is to create another admin user, log in as that user and test it. If it doesn't let you create another admin user, then do so as root from the rescue mode... from a root prompt.

If that corrects it, then use 'deluser' or 'gpasswd' to remove your group original user's memebrship from sudo and plugdev, then re-add those two group memberships. (With a step in-between that to log-in as so it took affect.)
    Code:
    deluser YourUserName sudo pludev
    Beyond that, at the moment, I'm at a lose. This does come up often like this. Especially on user uuid 1000: group guid 1000.

EDIT: After that, if not fixed, then try reinstalling the software center
    Code:
    sudo apt install --reinstall gnome-software
    (### Those above things would also report polkit auth errors)

Then checking into the GVfs frontends to see if an update failed or messed with "your" installation. I say that because other people haven't been reporting this problem on recent updates... But it is possible that there may have been some recent updates that affected you.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; December 16th, 2022 at 05:14 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've never seen any issues with the core groups having sudo issues. Doubt it is related to that.

All the tools that are supposed to make the GUI elevated privileges mostly seamless seem to be hacks. There are some issue every few years. Some of the tools have been deprecated, for reasons I've never bother to look into. If you look at the .desktop file used by the menu item, you can see which tool is being used.

sudo has been around and working since the mid-early 1990s.

There are some odd permissions issues if a user is added to the sudo group that can require rebooting. Those have been tied to systemd - yet another "improvement" since running the 'newgrp' command was too hard to have new group membership picked up without a logout/login or reboot. Sigh. Many things ARE better, but not everything, unfortunately. Sadly, these improvements tend to break existing, working, long-used, methods for some reason that I don't understand. I'm stupid that way.

To properly troubleshoot this, the exact OS, release, and version of the tools are needed. Best if people don't guess, since there are currently 3 supported versions (I think). 20.04, 22.04, and 22.10, each with different versions of everything.
    Last edited by TheFu; December 16th, 2022 at 06:23 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast