Thread: Conservative Upgrading - Ubuntu Critical Bugs

Beans

Question Conservative Upgrading - Ubuntu Critical Bugs

I take a conservative approach to upgrading to help prevent outages/data lost from software bugs by using usually the previous LTS release and adopt the current new LTS once it's in maintenance mode. I do use the ZFS filesystem and am a little worried about file loss/corruption. I assume the LTS releases are already very cautious which version of openzfs for instance they make available for install. I still would feel better to wait a while before make the upgrade to learn if there are any bug reports.

Where should I be looking to learn of critical system/zfs bugs for the LTS I am on? Thanks for the information.

Beans

Re: Conservative Upgrading - Ubuntu Critical Bugs

Search for bugs at launchpad.net.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by qombi View Post
    Where should I be looking to learn of critical system/zfs bugs for the LTS I am on? Thanks for the information.
    I have moved to a "philosophical" approach through monitoring this Forum.

I look for silence.

When very few (or no) questions/issues arise with regard to a release, I deem it stable and safe.
    That is the case with 20.04 LTS.

I made the mistake of thinking that waiting for 22.04.1 LTS was the right thing to do (thinking that the ".1" release would get rid of "infancy problems").
    Wrong.
    22.04 LTS has so many things not working that previously worked, that my thinking failed miserably. Sad, but true.

Silence is the key.

PS: all my machines have been downgraded to 20.04.5 LTS again. They run flawlessly.

Beans

Thanks for the replies, two good recommendations