Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live Ubuntu 22.04 on USB will not boot on a specific laptop

Beans

Live Ubuntu 22.04 on USB will not boot on a specific laptop

I have been running Ubuntu 22.04 on a HP Probook 4540s. Originally I had installed 20.04 and I upgraded later to 22.04. Recently, during a reboot, the laptop showed an error message "UVD not responding, trying to reset the VCPU". It would not go further and it froze while booting. Googling a bit for help, I tried editing Grub (version 2.04) by adding "nomodeset" just before "quiet splash". It goes further in booting, and I get the login screen but my keyboard and touchpad does not work.

Not wanting to waste time, I decided to do a complete fresh install of Ubuntu 22.04. I downloaded the ISO, loaded it onto a USB. But the live version would also not boot, freezing just before I reach the desktop. I noticed that the Grub version on the USB is 2.06. I checked if the USB is good and it works on my other laptops (Lenovo, Toshiba). No problem on getting live Ubuntu running on these.

So does anyone have any advice on what to do to get the fresh install working on my HP?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Live Ubuntu 22.04 on USB will not boot on a specific laptop

It looks like an old bug, but fixed several versions ago. Sometimes bugs re-appear?
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...e/+bug/1865130

I do not know AMD based video cards, but others may need to know exactly what card/chip your system has.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Looking at HP documentation, the laptop has

Processor: Intel Core i7-3612QM (2.1 GHz, 6MB L3 cache, 4 cores)
    Chipset: Mobile Intel HM76
    Graphics Adapter: AMD Radeon HD 7650M (not exactly sure, there is a Radeon graphics label on the laptop)

I noticed that the launchpad bug report is rather old (they refer to Bionic 18.04). Supposedly it was solved back then and now it has come back probably in the latest version of 22.04. I had just downloaded the ISO a few hours ago, so it is the latest version.

Any advice on what I should do? I can't even install Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Can you in UEFI settings turn off the AMD chip/card.
    Most have some sort of graphics settings.
    Some users have posted they could install with video card disabled using internal video. Then with working system installed correct driver & enabled video card. But I think that was with nVidia.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by srope01 View Post
    Any advice on what I should do? I can't even install Ubuntu.
    Originally, you installed Ubuntu 20.04, perhaps try that version again?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Some users have posted they could install with video card disabled using internal video. Then with working system installed correct driver & enabled video card. But I think that was with nVidia.
    I can confirm on legion 5 AMD/Nvidia, disabled Nvidia at install or transplant drive to different machine.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I am using Legacy BIOS. I will see what I can do to turn off radeon and then install. If it works and then I manage to install the driver, that would be workaround, but I think it would be better if the developers were to find a fix and put it in the installation ISO.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Originally, you installed Ubuntu 20.04, perhaps try that version again?
    Interesting. I downloaded both the 20.04 and 18.04 ISO and tried to install them one after the other. In both cases I managed to boot into Live Ubuntu. But in 20.04 case, when I clicked on the install icon, it didn't do anything. In 18.04, the first dialog box concerning the language appeared. Then when I clicked continue, it froze. I think I need to try an older release of 20.04, ideally the same one that I used to install Ubuntu the first time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The Hps of that age with legacy BIOS are normally unproblematic.
    You'll need to go into the BIOS setup again for the settings. Turn off any "optimizations" and make sure it will boot from something other than the HDD.
    Take some pictures of the BIOS screens/menus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

On my old (BIOS only) HP EliteBook I press F9 immediately after pressing the power switch. A screen comes up to allow me to select the disk I want to boot from.
    I have not been able to get 22.04 to run very well.
    The mouse and keyboard do not work once it has booted.

Edit:
    So far mkusb has worked best for me creating the 22.04 Live/Persistent flash drive.
    I use the GRUB 2.02 option.
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; November 21st, 2022 at 04:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast