Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Live Ubuntu 22.04 on USB will not boot on a specific laptop

Beans

Re: Live Ubuntu 22.04 on USB will not boot on a specific laptop

Quote Originally Posted by srope01 View Post
    Interesting. I downloaded both the 20.04 and 18.04 ISO and tried to install them one after the other. In both cases I managed to boot into Live Ubuntu. But in 20.04 case, when I clicked on the install icon, it didn't do anything. In 18.04, the first dialog box concerning the language appeared. Then when I clicked continue, it froze. I think I need to try an older release of 20.04, ideally the same one that I used to install Ubuntu the first time.
    I downloaded an early point release, 20.04.01, and this time not only did I get the Live Ubuntu, but it also installed! However, when I tried to login to my account, I got a blank purple screen and it froze.

So I have tried to installing the following. Only with the last one did I manage to get Ubuntu installed.

ubuntu-22.04.1
    ubuntu-20.04.5
    ubuntu-18.04.6
    ubuntu-20.04.1

My only hope now is to turn off the radeon card in BIOS and see what happens. In any case, I would like to submit a bug report to the developers. How do I go about doing that?

Beans

Interesting. I downloaded both the 20.04 and 18.04 ISO and tried to install them one after the other. In both cases I managed to boot into Live Ubuntu. But in 20.04 case, when I clicked on the install icon, it didn't do anything. In 18.04, the first dialog box concerning the language appeared. Then when I clicked continue, it froze. I think I need to try an older release of 20.04, ideally the same one that I used to install Ubuntu the first time.
    I downloaded an early point release, 20.04.01, and this time not only did I get the Live Ubuntu, but it also installed! However, when I tried to login to my account, I got a blank purple screen and it froze.

So I have tried to installing the following. Only with the last one did I manage to get Ubuntu installed.

ubuntu-22.04.1
    ubuntu-20.04.5
    ubuntu-18.04.6
    ubuntu-20.04.1

My only hope now is to turn off the radeon card in BIOS and see what happens. In any case, I would like to submit a bug report to the developers. How do I go about doing that?

Beans

I was able to turn off the card by toggling a device option "Switchable Graphics" in BIOS (no indication that this is related to the radeon card). With this done, I installed 20.04.1 and this time I finally managed to logon. Having a working Ubuntu, even if it is the previous LTS version, is a big success.

I then tried installing the 22.04.1 ISO again with the graphics card still turned off. Unlike previously, I was able to install 22.04, seemingly another step forward. But the bad news is that when I tried to boot after installation, the laptop did not recognise that there was an operating system on the hard drive (got the black page with error message asking to install an OS)!!! So there is something still seriously wrong with the 22.04.1 ISO. I went back to 20.04.1 and I upgraded from there to 22.04. I am finally back to where I started from when I had a working version 22.04 for several months.

So in summary the solution is 1) Turn off the graphics card in BIOS, 2) Install using 20.04.1 ISO, 3) Upgrade from there to 22.04 rather than using the 22.04 ISO.

Many thanks to the community for your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12