Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I tried to update to 22.04 and my dual boot machine gets stuck on splash screen

Beans

I tried to update to 22.04 and my dual boot machine gets stuck on splash screen

CPU: Intel i5 2nd gen
    RAM: 2x4GB
    HDD: 3 x 500 GB (one drive has Windows 10, the other Kubuntu, and the last one formatted on Windows side)
    GPU: AMD Cedar card
    This is a Dell Optiplex 390, with an extra HDD and stick of RAM.

I can boot into Windows 10. When I try to boot into Kubuntu, I get stuck on the black screen with a logo, and loading wheel, which freezes after spinning for a bit, but I can move the mouse.

I thought it upgraded correctly, and I told it to restart as needed.

I was able to boot into Kubuntu 22.04 at least once (changed background and ran glmark2), before when I tried again the next day, it had this issue.
    I tried booting into recovery mode and can boot to there. I haven't ran any memory testing since the upgrade. It worked fine before I upgraded to 22.04.

Please help, thanks. I'm tech savvy (or at least thought I was), but IDK what to do.
    I've already tried
    - power cycling (failed)
    - pulling GPU, and running on integrated graphics (failed)

I need a step by step explanation on how to upgrade GPU drivers (if that's the case).
    I don't know how to update the drivers in recovery mode.

I also posted it here.
    Last edited by QIII; July 15th, 2022 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Default font and color

Beans

Re: I tried to update to 22.04 and my dual boot machine gets stuck on splash screen

If I have to reinstall Kubuntu to fix it, I need tips on how to move my files to the Windows drive or the other drive.

Beans

Re: I tried to update to 22.04 and my dual boot machine gets stuck on splash screen

Hey mods, if I posted this in the wrong spot, please move it. I'm new here, and wasn't sure where to post it.

Beans

https://askubuntu.com/questions/6139...nvidia-drivers is pretty old, you haven't had to add the graphics-drivers PPA for awhile. Backing up to a Windows drive is likely to lose permissions when you restore, but if you make a tar file for you backup, copy the tar file to Windows, and copy back on a new install, then untar, you avoid those issues. I think the nvidia driver install is pretty straightforward with the ubuntu-drivers script or with the "Software and Updates"/Additional Drivers program. Take the "tested" version. If you have any leftover previous Nvidia installs, those should be cleaned out first. check the packages by:
    sudo dpkg -l |fgrep -i nvidia and purge them with sudo apt-get purge <package> The purge is needed to remove any config files left around.
    I don't know of what issues recovery mode might have, other than maybe missing networking. Install then reboot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubfan1 View Post
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/6139...nvidia-drivers is pretty old, you haven't had to add the graphics-drivers PPA for awhile. Backing up to a Windows drive is likely to lose permissions when you restore, but if you make a tar file for you backup, copy the tar file to Windows, and copy back on a new install, then untar, you avoid those issues. I think the nvidia driver install is pretty straightforward with the ubuntu-drivers script or with the "Software and Updates"/Additional Drivers program. Take the "tested" version. If you have any leftover previous Nvidia installs, those should be cleaned out first. check the packages by:
    sudo dpkg -l |fgrep -i nvidia and purge them with sudo apt-get purge <package> The purge is needed to remove any config files left around.
    I don't know of what issues recovery mode might have, other than maybe missing networking. Install then reboot.
    Sorry, I had an AMD GPU (before I pulled it to clean it, and to test integrated graphics, which still made it freeze).

How do I backup when I
    - can't just open the drive in File Explorer on Windows 10
    - can't get into normal Ubuntu (at best, recovery mode), because I want to backup my files

Is AMD Cedar a rebranded Nvidia chip?

Beans

I guess I thought ubuntu-drivers and Software and Updates/Additional Drivers would be driver agnostic, but I could be wrong, never had an AMD GPU. (But did have an AMD cpu with an N 130? GPU which turned out to be a peripherial controller including an Nvidia Geforce 6150. Anyway, from recovery mode, you should be able to mount a Windows drive and backup, the main thing recovery mode does is boot with a kernel param (nomodeset) to use the default video. So, sudo mount -tntfs /dev/sdxy /mnt (or make a dir under /mnt and mount there if other things are already mounting in /mnt/xx), and you should be able to write to the windows drive. I seldom do that, and can't say how likely a failure of some sort would be, but one tar file is more likely to succeed than a whole directory tree.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Please copy & paste the pastebin link to the Bootinfo summary report ( do not post report), do not run the auto fix till reviewed.Lets see details, use ppa version with your USB installer (2nd option) or any working install, not Boot-Repair ISO
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair &
    https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/

Report may not show much, as if you can boot recovery mode, then it really is not a boot issue.
    But it may be some setting or configuration that report could show.

Are both installs UEFI? Or both BIOS? Report will show that.

I do not know AMD video, but most of the posts I have seen, say it just works with the default driver that installer provides. There is an advanced driver that will better support very new AMD video cards/chips.
    And Intel video should just work.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I haven't tried it because I thought it was for Nvidia only.

Also, can you give me step by step instructions, because I'm newer to Linux than Windows, and not great with the command line.

Beans

My GPU is an older AMD gpu, and that's before I pulled it to try integrated graphics (as well as clean the dust out and change thermal paste). It worked fine prior to update, and for the one time that I got it to work. I may have had to upgrade packages after upgrade (I know it took me a couple of tries pre-upgrade), but I don't remember for sure.

I remember setting the thing up in Legacy Mode in BIOS to make it work. I'm getting ~ 8-something KB to 1.2 MB a second, and 13 min left on the download.

Beans

I was downloading it onto a USB to make a live USB.
    What do you mean not Boot-Repair ISO?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast