Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I tried to update to 22.04 and my dual boot machine gets stuck on splash screen

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: I tried to update to 22.04 and my dual boot machine gets stuck on splash screen

Boot-Repair has a downloadable version that is also a live system based on Lubuntu. But ISO is not updated as frequently as the ppa.
    So best to just use your Ubuntu live installer in live mode and use ppa to add Boot-Repair. Details are in link to Boot-Repair above.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Re: I tried to update to 22.04 and my dual boot machine gets stuck on splash screen

So try doing the console commands using root prompt in recovery mode?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you are at recovery mode, you cannot run Boot-Repair as it needs a gui.
    But then you are booting, so issue is something after boot, anyway.

You then need to try repairs from command line, the recovery mode has several options.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I need step by step what code to try in the command line. I can't get to my desktop, but when I mess with BIOS (I swapped things to now make Windows 10 the default because it works right now), I should be able to get into recovery mode. Maybe something about nomodeset (I've heard about it from other spots)?

There are four options in advanced options. What do each of them do? Which recovery mode do I need?

Ubuntu something.something
    Ubuntu something.something (recovery mode)
    Ubuntu something else.something else
    Ubuntu something else.something else (recovery mode)

Beans

I downloaded the boot repair iso, when I was confused, and was about to make it into a bootable USB. Would it be worth a try to try the bootable USB, even though it's older?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I would use your Ubuntu live installer and use the ppa to add Boot-Repair to live installer.

If you boot the first recovery mode, do you get a text like menu of options?
    Then you may be able to boot, repair or do updates or install fixes from terminal. But not sure what you need.

Beans

I don't have the bootable USB I put kubuntu on to install it on when I installed it. So can I just make another?

I got a text like menu, last time I tried getting into recovery mode.

Beans

You can boot from the Kubuntu USB and choose "Try Ubuntu". You can then open a terminal and mount your other drives and copy files between them. Open a terminal, then run "sudo fdisk -l" to see a list of devices. There should be a /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, and /dev/sdc corresponding to your three drives. The /mnt and /opt directories are empty by default on Ubuntu. Mount the partition you want to copy from to one of these, and the destination partition to the other. Something like:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
    sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /opt
    ls /mnt
    ls /opt
    If the destination drive is not formatted with ext4 or another Linux-compatible filesystem, I strongly recommend following the suggestion above to put the files you want to save into a tar archive, then copy the archive to the other drive. You will be able to preserve permissions and the like this way.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; July 16th, 2022 at 04:18 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

So, I need to
    1. make a new Kubuntu USB
    2. Try Ubuntu
    3. sudo fdisk -l
    4. Somehow put the files in a tar
    archive (IDK how to do that)
    5. Move them to drive (do I need to make that drive unallocated in Windows?)
    At best, if everything goes well, I might be able to get to 3. The closest thing I remember to moving files is the cd (change directory) command. I want to just copy my whole set of user files, programs included.

I'm used to the GUI, not the command line. I use the command line mainly for installing stuff, and upgrading stuff.

Beans

You might be able to mount the drives from Dolphin. Boot from the USB stick, choose "Try Ubuntu", then open Dolphin. See if it shows your hard drives under Devices.

If you just want to move your home directory, see if you can navigate to /home on the source device. Then right-click on your directory and choose Compress. Choose tar.gz. Create the archive, then move it to /home on the new device. Click on the archive and decompress it with Ark.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast