Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Looking for a Wireless chip that has Linux drivers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Beans
    69

    Looking for a Wireless chip that has Linux drivers

    Dear all,

    # Background

    I have a semi-old desktop machine that I inherited from my company, where I would like to install Ubuntu. However, in the office it used to connect to the internet through an Ethernet cable and does not have a Wireless chip inside that sees WIFI networks.

    I have tried with a TP-Link Mini Wireless N USB Adapter (TL-WN823N) but I wasn't able to compile the drivers that TP-Link provides, their technical support replied that their drivers only support an older kernel than the one I am trying to use.

    If I'm not mistaken Ubuntu 22.04 uses Kernel 5.15, but the available driver for TL-WN823N v3 supports up to kernel 4.9.60.

    I have failed to find other chip models that could have better support. The two IT re-sellers in my local area that I have contacted couldn't help either, they only get TP-Link products and one other brand that is not better.

    # Question

    That's what I've tried out. So my question in this forum now I suppose must be:

    Could you recommend a chip model that has drivers for kernel 5.15 (that Ubuntu 22.04 uses)?

    If not, do you have any other suggestion?

    # Hardward info

    Here's some information about the machine:

    Machine manufacturer: LENOVO
    Product name: 30C70009MB
    Product version: ThinkStation P330
    Processor manufacturer: Intel(R) Corporation
    Processor version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
    UDI: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz - INTEL
    Display Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz - INTEL
    Model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
    Vendor: INTEL
    Number of cores: 6
    Number of enabled cores: 6
    Number of threads: 12
    Signature: 906ea
    Max speed: 4.600 GHz
    Current speed: 3.192 GHz
    Features: MMX, EM64T, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3,
    SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AES, AVX, AVX2, CLMUL,
    FMA, PSE, PSE-36, IDA/Turbo boost,
    HTT, XD, VMX
    Cache L1: 6 x 32 KB Data, 6 x 32 KB Instruction
    Cache L2: 6 x 256 KB Unified
    Cache L3: 1 x 12 MB Unified
    Please let me know whether there's any other piece of information that might be relevant. I have access to the machine on Windows 10 and the BIOS.

    Thanks.
    Manuel
    Last edited by xinelo; July 4th, 2022 at 03:04 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    14,820

    Re: Looking for a Wireless chip that has Linux drivers


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    Beans
    3,068
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Looking for a Wireless chip that has Linux drivers

    I'm not up to speed on newer USB wifi adapters. If you look thru the wireless and networking forum you should get a feel for what devices are plug & play and what is a challenge to get working. You could always look at thinkpenguin.com for networking devices known to work with minimal or no fussing. Something to be aware of with devices that plug into a laptop's internal M2 connectors - some companies whitelist network adapters. This means approved devices are burned into the laptop's BIOS. If a device is not listed in the BIOS it may plug in but it won't work. Lenovo Thinkpads are notorious for this. USB devices are not an issue AFAIK.
    Last edited by kurt18947; July 9th, 2022 at 02:03 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Beans
    69

    Re: Looking for a Wireless chip that has Linux drivers

    Thank you, both.

    I hadn't seen there was a Networking and Wireless section in the forum, my question was perhaps more appropriate there.

    Thanks for the various references, I'll see what I can find.

    Please notice that my machine is not a laptop, it's a desktop computer (Lenovo ThinkStation).

    I'm not necessarily looking for a USB device, I think I would prefer a network adapter that can be installed inside the box.

    Cheers, Manuel

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Wandering
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: Looking for a Wireless chip that has Linux drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by xinelo View Post
    I'm not necessarily looking for a USB device, I think I would prefer a network adapter that can be installed inside the box.

    Cheers, Manuel
    This one may be Overkill but it's a dandy. https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/acces...oogle.com%252F
    Another one I have worked with is this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...cie_wi_fi.html
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Boston MetroWest
    Beans
    16,326

    Re: Looking for a Wireless chip that has Linux drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by xinelo View Post
    Please notice that my machine is not a laptop, it's a desktop computer (Lenovo ThinkStation).

    I'm not necessarily looking for a USB device, I think I would prefer a network adapter that can be installed inside the box.
    Are you looking for a wired or wireless adapter? For a wired adapter, I'd use this: https://www.newegg.com/intel-expi930...82E16833106033

    Apparently this TP-Link AC1200 PCI adapter https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-arche...0E6-002W-005N2 uses the Intel 7265 chip (https://superuser.com/questions/1701...r-on-debian-11). According to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us.../wireless.html, that chip is supported by the standard iwlwifi drivers that come with the Ubuntu kernel. I don't think you would need to follow that elaborate installation mechanism described in the Debian article. My guess is you'd install the device, and Linux would recognize it at a reboot.

    If you're choosing wireless, how fast is your router? Are N speeds sufficient? If you have a USB port to spare, and you're within reasonable range of your router, I'd go with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/wifi-adapter-...dp/B008IFXQFU/. You'll never notice it.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; July 5th, 2022 at 05:58 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

    Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    14,820

    Re: Looking for a Wireless chip that has Linux drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by xinelo View Post
    I hadn't seen there was a Networking and Wireless section in the forum, my question was perhaps more appropriate there.
    No worries. It could fit in either forum.

    Did you try to get the adapter you already have working with the links I gave you? What was the outcome?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    /dev/sdx
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Looking for a Wireless chip that has Linux drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by xinelo View Post
    Dear all,

    # Background

    I have a semi-old desktop machine that I inherited from my company, where I would like to install Ubuntu. However, in the office it used to connect to the internet through an Ethernet cable and does not have a Wireless chip inside that sees WIFI networks.

    I have tried with a TP-Link Mini Wireless N USB Adapter (TL-WN823N) but I wasn't able to compile the drivers that TP-Link provides, their technical support replied that their drivers only support an older kernel than the one I am trying to use.

    If I'm not mistaken Ubuntu 22.04 uses Kernel 5.15, but the available driver for TL-WN823N v3 supports up to kernel 4.9.60.

    I have failed to find other chip models that could have better support. The two IT re-sellers in my local area that I have contacted couldn't help either, they only get TP-Link products and one other brand that is not better.

    # Question

    That's what I've tried out. So my question in this forum now I suppose must be:

    Could you recommend a chip model that has drivers for kernel 5.15 (that Ubuntu 22.04 uses)?

    If not, do you have any other suggestion?

    # Hardward info

    Here's some information about the machine:

    Please let me know whether there's any other piece of information that might be relevant. I have access to the machine on Windows 10 and the BIOS.

    Thanks.
    Manuel
    Try BrosTrend USB WiFi adapter 1200Mbps of speed, they says that it is supported with Linux kernel up to 5.18 with running Operating System Ubuntu, Debian Linux Mint, Kali, Pop!_OS and etc. Regards and cheers
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    Beans
    3,068
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Looking for a Wireless chip that has Linux drivers

    I think SeijiSensei's choice should work. I don't have wifi on my desktop machines, ethernet via MoCA has been foolproof. Notebooks have had Intel wifi and no muss no fuss, wifi was recognized by the live USB and continued to work once installed.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Beans
    69

    Re: Looking for a Wireless chip that has Linux drivers

    This seemed to work. Thanks!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •