Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: snap crashed on Kubuntu 20.04 and no free space

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: snap crashed on Kubuntu 20.04 and no free space

Quote Originally Posted by kunzhut View Post
    But, anyway, when I've tried to copy it back via Midnight Commander after sudo and after some time I had error «No more free space», something like that.
    I suppose that Midnight Commander isn't smart enough to move mountpoints, so it may have made a full copy. I don't use snaps myself, so I can't test this, but maybe it works if you delete /snap (the symlink or directory, whatever it is now), reinstall snapd and reboot. Maybe it will properly rebuild whatever was in /snap. Or you may have to reinstall the snaps too.
    Code:
    6776952 /var/lib
    Almost 7GB in /var/lib. That is the real storage used by those snap packages. Not much you can do about it, other than removing some.
    Code:
    544560  /usr/bin
    2320    /usr/games
    24848   /usr/include
    12855524        /usr/lib
    4       /usr/lib32
    16      /usr/lib64
    15864   /usr/libexec
    4       /usr/libx32
    116     /usr/local
    101340  /usr/sbin
    2435164 /usr/share
    3523896 /usr/src
    I highlighted the lines that appear remarkably large: your /usr/lib is almost 3 times what I've got, your /usr/sbin too and your /usr/src is even 12 times what I've got. You may have some old packages that you can remove.
    Last edited by Impavidus; May 20th, 2022 at 04:16 PM.

Beans

Thanks for all, guys, for your help!

What I did:

1. Uninstalled snapd
    Code:
    sudo snap remove chromium snap-store
    sudo systemctl stop snapd
    sudo apt remove --purge --assume-yes snapd gnome-software-plugin-snap
    rm -rf ~/snap/
    sudo rm -rf /var/cache/snapd/
    2. Installed snap
    Code:
    snap install
    3. Installed from https://snapcraft.io/store all apps I needed (Spotify, Skype, WhatsApp etc.)
    Code:
    sudo snap install spotify
    4. Rebooted, and after that everything worked well! Right now I have 7GB/37GB free and it's enough.
    5. Next step will be removing swapfile (1.7GB)
    Last edited by kunzhut; May 20th, 2022 at 04:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

5. Next step will be removing swapfile (1.7GB)
    You probably don't want to remove it. Instead just relocate it to different storage. If this is a desktop, you'll likely want to make it 4.1G to handle modern browsers being swapped out. In my testing of Ubuntu desktop/laptop computers with 2, 4, 6, 8, 16 and 32G of RAM, I found that less than 4G of swap was bad, sometimes crashing, for systems with 8G or less RAM. As more RAM is added, whether a system needed a larger swap depended on the RAM demands based on workload. I run virtual machines and linux containers, so having the system become slower as memory over-commits happen during swap use periods is a good hint that I need to close some programs. With that slowness in the system, I can "feel" this slowdown before it becomes bad enough to crash.

Of course, if you have 16G or more of RAM and don't run memory intensive programs, then a smaller swap area could be fine. Some swap, say 1G is what I do on servers that shouldn't need any swap at all, but having a little bit is actually helpful to system performance because some kernel code for performance is only enabled if swap exists. Perhaps I could make that 500MB. Hummmm. This applies to extremely well-known workloads on servers, not for desktops running desktop applications.
    https://haydenjames.io/linux-perform...dd-swap-space/

Beans

I have a i5-laptop with 16 GB RAM and most heaviest apps I will have to use is VirtualBox for access to Windows-world (likely Photoshop-world).
    Do I need swap in my case?
    Last edited by kunzhut; May 20th, 2022 at 06:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

4. Rebooted, and after that everything worked well! Right now I have 7GB/37GB free and it's enough.
    You only really removed some unneeded or duplicate snaps (old versions). After some updates, the problem will be back.

I suggest you have a look at deb packages you no longer need. Most of /usr/lib, /usr/sbin and /usr/src is filled from deb packages. Maybe there are some old kernels or kernel headers that can be autoremoved.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have a i5-laptop with 16 GB RAM and most heaviest apps I will have to use is VirtualBox for access to Windows-world (likely Photoshop-world).
    Do I need swap in my case?
    Probably. Hard to tell from the information provided. How much RAM gets used peak over each month?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    I suggest you have a look at deb packages you no longer need. Most of /usr/lib, /usr/sbin and /usr/src is filled from deb packages. Maybe there are some old kernels or kernel headers that can be autoremoved.
    Thanks, I will.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Probably. Hard to tell from the information provided. How much RAM gets used peak over each month?
    My clear loaded system without ordinary apps weights 1GB RAM, with Telegram+Viber+WhatsApp+Chrome(many pages opened)+Opera+Spotify it will be 7GB/16GB.
    When I quite rare want VirtualBox for Windows 7 I have to close browsers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My clear loaded system without ordinary apps weights 1GB RAM, with Telegram+Viber+WhatsApp+Chrome(many pages opened)+Opera+Spotify it will be 7GB/16GB.
    When I quite rare want VirtualBox for Windows 7 I have to close browsers.
    Seem like a 4.1G swap would be reasonable, then. Or the resources provided to the VM can be less. I find that most Windows people over think how much RAM is needed for Windows to run. I give my Win7 VM just 1.5G of RAM under kvm. Never had any issues. For years, it was running Windows Media Center.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12