Thread: Laptop does not register 'space' key at GRUB level and beyond

Beans

Laptop does not register 'space' key at GRUB level and beyond

I have a fairly new laptop that I've used lightly. Periodically, it refuses to register the 'space' key after a reboot (nothing happens when I hit 'space'). This is evident when I try to enter the password to decrypt my hard disk. But I've also tried the 'edit' screen in GRUB (where I choose my ubuntu kernel on bootup, and before the hard disk decryption) and cannot get a space key there either. No space key renders the laptop close to unusable.

The problem used to go away after a reboot, but in the last few days I've rebooted as many as 10 times and the problem remains. Today, I tried to see if the problem also occurs when I boot from a different copy of Ubuntu on a USB key. The space key worked once I was in the USB version of Ubuntu. More than that, when I rebooted the laptop without the USB, suddenly the space key is working--after many times not. It's almost as if it learned the space key again after the USB boot.

Any thoughts on what's going on here and what I might try to fix it? Maybe rebuild grub?

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: Laptop does not register 'space' key at GRUB level and beyond

More likely a keyboard error... like dirt in the "space"-key switch.
    Did you ever turn the keyboard upside down and see how much nastiness falls out?

Beans

Re: Laptop does not register 'space' key at GRUB level and beyond

I've barely used the laptop. Have tried to turn it over. Absolutely nothing comes out. The space bar has stopped working a couple dozen times at and only at boot. It never starts to work when I try typing into a booted system, once it fails at boot. But, I reboot and the space bar usually starts working again (except the most recent episode, when it only started working again after I booted from USB). So, while a good idea, I doubt the problem is gunk in the keyboard.