Thread: Power off leads to restart after upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell workstation

Beans

Power off leads to restart after upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell workstation

Hi,

I upgraded a Dell Precision workstation 3450 that came pre-installed with Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04. After the upgrade, I am unable to shut down the computer using either the power off option (clicking on the power off/log out button on the top right) or with sudo poweroff. In both cases, the machine simply reboots / restarts. the following lines flash briefly on the console during reboot:

[ 25.433431] sd-umoun[2594]: Failed to unmount /oldroot: Device or resource busy
    [ 25.434705] sd-umoun[2595]: Failed to unmount /oldroot/sys: Device or resource busy
    [ 25.442580] shutdown[1]: Failed to finalise file systems, ignoring.

This seems to be similar to a problem reported long ago for 12.04 here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1328...-of-a-shutdown

I would appreciate any help/suggestions on how to fix this asap.

Thanks,

trsr

Beans

Re: Power off leads to restart after upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell workstation

Just wanted to add that even this does not work and the computer still reboots
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -P
    The only way to power off seems to be a hard shut down by long-pressing the main power button.
    Would appreciate suggestions and help to fix this problem.
    Thanks,
    trsr

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Power off leads to restart after upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell workstation

Also asked at https://askubuntu.com/questions/1408...eboot-in-22-04

-- Duplicate comment given on askubu.

If your system is detected as benefiting from an OEM kernel at install; the default kernel is replaced.

Were you using the OEM kernel before upgrade (if fully upgraded, a 20.04 system was using 5.4 with the GA kernel stack & 5.13 if using the HWE stack; which were you using? or were you using an OEM kernel stack?).

OEM kernels upgrade to later OEM kernels by default; so I'd not expect you to upgrade to 5.15 general kernel.

If it was me; I'd boot live media & see if the issue occurs there, then if different contrast differences with your installed system (esp. kernel stack related)

Beans

Thanks @ guiverc. I am not sure what kernel was installed with 20.04 (how to find out now? from some log file?) It may have been an OEM kernel. As to what I have now, the results of the command
    Code:
    dpkg --list | grep linux-image
    is as follows:
    rc linux-image-5.10.0-1044-oem 5.10.0-1044.46 amd64 Signed kernel image oem
    ii linux-image-5.14.0-1034-oem 5.14.0-1034.37 amd64 Signed kernel image oem
    rc linux-image-5.15.0-27-generic 5.15.0-27.28 amd64 Signed kernel image generic
    ii linux-image-5.15.0-30-generic 5.15.0-30.31 amd64 Signed kernel image generic
    ii linux-image-generic 5.15.0.30.33 amd64 Generic Linux kernel image
    ii linux-image-generic-hwe-22.04 5.15.0.30.33 amd64 Generic Linux kernel image
    ii linux-image-oem-20.04d 5.14.0.1034.31 amd64 OEM Linux kernel image

Is the shutdown leading to reboot problem due to the kernel or something else?
    ~trsr

Beans

The problem solved itself after I discarded an old plugged in USB keyboard and pluuged in a new keyboard! Now the computer shuts down properly... no reboot!
    Just putting this out here in case others run into a similar issue.
    trsr

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I was typing here when I noticed your reply on askubu. (my original reply now deleted)

Well done for solving it, and thanks for sharing it so it'll benefit others who may experience the issue.

I've experienced like issue(s) before and assumed it was a USB device that was sending bad data.. as scanning input from USB showed lots of repeating rubbish that was mostly ignored.. maybe that slowed/delayed-forever the kernel's shutdown, I don't know as for me it was real cheap USB hubs that I just replaced with better ones.