Thread: Unable to boot into Ubuntu 14.04, Grub2 menu only, boot-repair pastebin

Beans

Unhappy Unable to boot into Ubuntu 14.04, Grub2 menu only, boot-repair pastebin

I would like your help to solve my problem of my pc that boots on the Grub2 screen.

I used boot-repair 64-bit flashed on a USB drive to debug this problem, but I'm not able to understand its output report. I read in the documentation of boot-repair that I can ask for help in this forum (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair).

This is the pastebin: http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/46RsHbzQ6T.

My pc has the following characteristics (running hostnamectl on a Terminal):Icon name: computer-desktop
    Chassis: desktop
    Boot ID: accd8c31624a4af1a066a5d697a42ac9
    Operating System: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
    Kernel: Linux 4.4.0-142-generic
    Architecture: x86_64

I don't know if it is important, but:
    1) boot-repair does not show the "Recommended Repair" button (first button), but only the "Create a BootInfo summary" one (second button).
    2) when launching boot-repair from a Terminal inside the OS of boot-repair flashed on the USB drive, I get the following warning related to DBus (that I saw also in my Ubuntu when it was still working):

I can provide additional information if needed.

Could you help me to solve this problem, please?

Thank you very much,
    Regards,
    Luca Urbinati
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Unable to boot into Ubuntu 14.04, Grub2 menu only, boot-repair pastebin

Please do not post screen shots or photos in line. Just attach.
    Easy to attach screen shots with Forum's advanced editor and paperclip icon.

14.04 EOL - End of Life April 2019

I am surprised Boot-Repair runs, it only is for current versions.
    You need to backup your data, list of installed apps and anything else unique and install 20.04 or 22.04.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Your 14.04 is really out of date 4.4.0-223 is the kernel my ESM 14.04 is using. Extended Security Maintenance (ESM) for 14.04 ends in a few days, so you might be able to update that way if you join, but really, a more current release should be used. There was some header change for the kernel at about 141 or 142, maybe that's affecting you? I think it involved the HDMI sound, but HDMI sound was dead from the start of 4.4 until another header fix was made on the i915_component.h file. The Intel Compute Stick I run 14.04 on only had 1GB memory, so lubuntu would be the best ...buntu choice. Debian 11 works fine, and for really lowest mem usage, use Antix.

Beans

I suggest you wipe the system off then do a clean install of Jammy(Ubuntu 22.04). This is LTS and supported for 5 years. You can restore your user data using your backups.

Beans

Thank you all for the answers.

Since I have some old programs that require Ubuntu 14.04 necessarily, updating to another OS at the moment is not possible.
    Given that, is there a way to solve the current issue keeping Ubuntu 14.04? Is it possible to solve my problem?

Could you also tell me how to backup my disk in this situation where I can't boot into the current OS?

Thank you all

Beans

Check out https://ubuntu.com/blog/ua-services-...with-ua-client
    ESM ends this April, so don't wait long. Free for a limited number of machines.