Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delete Items on Mounted SATA does not free up space, fstab settings?

Beans

Delete Items on Mounted SATA does not free up space, fstab settings?

Hello all,
    I have a few internal SATA drives mounted in Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS.
    When I attempted to delete items on these drives I am given the message "cant be put in trash do you want to delete immediately" and "Unable to find or create trash directory for"

If I select Delete, the item goes away but the free space available on the drive remains the same.

I have done some digging around the web and a lot of the solutions I seem to find indicate that I likely do not have my fstab configured properly.
    Here is what my fstab looks like
    Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    # / was on /dev/nvme0n1p2 during installation
    UUID=19cc6a19-6d93-4c25-8b28-649f28d86704 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # /boot/efi was on /dev/nvme0n1p1 during installation
    UUID=5ED2-7C80  /boot/efi       vfat    umask=0077      0       1
    /swapfile                                 none            swap    sw              0       0
    UUID=809E09029E08F288 /media/soloman/Core     auto nosuid,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

UUID=4C50E4AA50E49C48 /media/soloman/Box     auto nosuid,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
    I was hoping to get some clarity on what I needed to add to fstab before I started fiddling with this, since Ive seen a few different suggestions on how to configure it.
    The intention would be that these are permanently mounted drives. Video editing etc, a lot of large files being created and deleted.
    Last edited by DuckHook; April 21st, 2022 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Added *CODE* tags.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Delete Items on Mounted SATA does not free up space, fstab settings?

If there isn't a trash directory on the file system, then it just takes a few minutes for the changes to be written. Check in 2 min. See if the space is freed.

When troubleshooting issues like this, test without the GUI. That would determine if it is a file system or shell program issue -----OR----- more likely a GUI program problem.

The ftab above has some things that I'd never use, but if the mounts are there, then in is working.
    I'm guessing 2 of the /media storage mounts are NTFS. I'd never do that without specifying ntfs as the type and these options:
    Code:
    nodev,permissions,windows_names,nosuid,noatime,async,big_writes,timeout=2,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0002,dmask=0002
    If the storage absolutely doesn't need to be NTFS, use a native Linux file system. If the storage will be accessed over a network by Windows, not directly plugged in, then you don't need/want NTFS. Use ext4 unless you have a specific need to use some other native file system like ZFS, XFS, f2fs. And if you to switch to any of those, you'll likely want to change the last '0' on the line to be a '2'.

The fstab manpage explains the 6 fields. man fstab will show it. Or use xman.

If the storage is external, say USB connected, then I'd use autofs, not the fstab.

But only you can decide the appropriate options and file system(s) to be be used.

Beans

Are you dual booting the system?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    If there isn't a trash directory on the file system, then it just takes a few minutes for the changes to be written. Check in 2 min. See if the space is freed.

Code:
    nodev,permissions,windows_names,nosuid,noatime,async,big_writes,timeout=2,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0002,dmask=0002
    If the storage absolutely doesn't need to be NTFS, use a native Linux file system. If the storage will be accessed over a network by Windows, not directly plugged in, then you don't need/want NTFS. Use ext4 unless you have a specific need to use some other native file system like ZFS, XFS, f2fs. And if you to switch to any of those, you'll likely want to change the last '0' on the line to be a '2'.

If the storage is external, say USB connected, then I'd use autofs, not the fstab.

But only you can decide the appropriate options and file system(s) to be be used.
    These drives were originally in a Window's system and one is a 16tb that is 85%-90% full so Ill need to purchase a backup to move the files before reformatting the drives.
    Additionally I would like to share these drives with the other Windows machines throughout the house.

I tested out modifying the fstab for one of my drives as you described but that appear to have unmounted the drive. [EDIT: I added nfts, in front of it and that appears to have remounted it like so
    /media/soloman/Core ntfs,nodev,permissions,windows_names,nosuid,noatim e,async,big_writes,timeout=2,uid=1000,gid=1000,fma sk=0002,dmask=0002
    Items are now deleted but do not go into the recycle bin, would there be an additional setting for that?
    Last edited by todolinuxvidz1; April 26th, 2022 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Update to the Information

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    Yes but rarely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by todolinuxvidz1 View Post

I tested out modifying the fstab for one of my drives as you described but that appear to have unmounted the drive. [EDIT: I added nfts, in front of it and that appears to have remounted it like so
    Items are now deleted but do not go into the recycle bin, would there be an additional setting for that?
    The posted information doesn't show the complete fstab line that isn't working. No way can I help without that. But
    a) details matter. "nfts" isn't a valid file system. It must actually be spelled correctly.
    b) there must be 6 fields on each line in the fstab. If you don't have 6 fields, in the correct order, it doesn't work. There's no "close enough" option. It is either correct or not. It either works or it doesn't.

You aren't any different than anyone else with the fstab. I remember struggling back in the olden days before cell phones. Plus, NTFS drivers for Linux at the time were just as likely to destroy the files as work.

BTW, saw this today about the NTFS driver being unsupported: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...river-2022-Sad I should also say that I had to reformat an NTFS partition that is only used by Linux and a video recorder (it only supports USB NTFS/FAT32) due to corruption yesterday. Lost a day of recordings due to that corruption.

Beans

When troubleshooting issues like this, test without the GUI. That would determine if it is a file system or shell program issue -----OR----- more likely a GUI program problem.

The ftab above has some things that I'd never use, but if the mounts are there, then in is working.
    I'm guessing 2 of the /media storage mounts are NTFS. I'd never do that without specifying ntfs as the type and these options:
    Code:

The posted information doesn't show the complete fstab line that isn't working. No way can I help without that. But
    a) details matter. "nfts" isn't a valid file system. It must actually be spelled correctly.
    b) there must be 6 fields on each line in the fstab. If you don't have 6 fields, in the correct order, it doesn't work. There's no "close enough" option. It is either correct or not. It either works or it doesn't.

You aren't any different than anyone else with the fstab. I remember struggling back in the olden days before cell phones. Plus, NTFS drivers for Linux at the time were just as likely to destroy the files as work.

BTW, saw this today about the NTFS driver being unsupported: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...river-2022-Sad I should also say that I had to reformat an NTFS partition that is only used by Linux and a video recorder (it only supports USB NTFS/FAT32) due to corruption yesterday. Lost a day of recordings due to that corruption.
    Ill take a look at that link you share here is my full fstab sorry tried to take a shortcut to just show what was added.
    Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    # / was on /dev/nvme0n1p2 during installation
    UUID=19cc6a19-6d93-4c25-8b28-649f28d86704 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # /boot/efi was on /dev/nvme0n1p1 during installation
    UUID=5ED2-7C80  /boot/efi       vfat    umask=0077      0       1
    /swapfile                                 none            swap    sw              0       0
    UUID=809E09029E08F288 /media/soloman/Core   ntfs,nodev,permissions,windows_names,nosuid,noatime,async,big_writes,timeout=2,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0002,dmask=0002

UUID=4C50E4AA50E49C48 /media/soloman/Box     auto nosuid,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
    So both the drive called Box and Core are mounted but they seem to essentially have the same level of access, where files are deleted and go no where (I was hoping I could at least have them go to the recycle bin)
    (I will save the whole network access issue for another thread)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Code:
    UUID=809E09029E08F288 /media/soloman/Core   ntfs,nodev,permissions,windows_names,nosuid,noatime,async,big_writes,timeout=2,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0002,dmask=0002
    isn't valid. It only has 3 fields. There must be 6, in the correct order, all on a single line.

Code:
    UUID=809E09029E08F288 /media/soloman/Core   ntfs       nodev,permissions,windows_names,nosuid,noatime,async,big_writes,timeout=2,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0002,dmask=0002    0   0
    is probably what you want.

Details matter. The manpage for fstab explains each field. It is a simple read. Worth the time.

As for a trash bin, I don't know. Don't use them myself. I know that ext4 supports trash bins on the different file system mounts. Don't know about NTFS, since it isn't a native file system to Linux.
    Last edited by TheFu; April 27th, 2022 at 02:48 AM.

Beans

If it is NTFS, you may want to boot to Windows and run a full chkdsk on the data to make sure it is complete and consistent. NTFS is a proprietary file system and only Microsoft knows how it truly works.

Beans

Code:
    isn't valid. It only has 3 fields. There must be 6, in the correct order, all on a single line.

Code:
    UUID=809E09029E08F288 /media/soloman/Core   ntfs       nodev,permissions,windows_names,nosuid,noatime,async,big_writes,timeout=2,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0002,dmask=0002    0   0
    is probably what you want.

Details matter. The manpage for fstab explains each field. It is a simple read. Worth the time.

As for a trash bin, I don't know. Don't use them myself. I know that ext4 supports trash bins on the different file system mounts. Don't know about NTFS, since it isn't a native file system to Linux.
    Your suggestion for fstab works great, thank you very much. I will sideline the recycle bin issue for now. I suspect what I will need to do is purchase an additional 20tbs of storage, format it in ext4, then back up the NTFS data on the ext4 drives, then figure out what Ill do with these NTFS drives after the fact.

If it is NTFS, you may want to boot to Windows and run a full chkdsk on the data to make sure it is complete and consistent. NTFS is a proprietary file system and only Microsoft knows how it truly works.
    Thanks for the response the storage not freeing up after deletion portion of this problem has been resolved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast