Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Delete Items on Mounted SATA does not free up space, fstab settings?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Squidbilly-Land
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Delete Items on Mounted SATA does not free up space, fstab settings?

    You know that changing from NTFS to a native Linux file system can be tested using a small flash drive for a day, right? Check that it works the way you want before blowing $500.

    If it works the way you need, then ....
    If you don't have use for the 2 NTFS drives, you can just buy 1 sized to replace the larger, format it with a native linux file system, then move the files from 1 drive onto it, now you have 2 spare drives. Format the now empty NTFS to a drive native linux file system, then move the files from the other NTFS drive.

    BTW, if you can't backup the data currently, that's a pretty big problem. All HDDs fail. About 1-2% fail pretty early. They all fail, eventually. Hopefully, that's after 15 yrs of use, but statistics and HDD manufacturer warranties suggest they fail much faster for drives with less than 5 yr warranties. For drives with 5 yr warranties, I've seen NONE - ZERO - fail in use at home, 24/7/365 for over 10 yrs. None. For drives with 1 and 3 yr warranties, most fail before 5 yrs. Seagates HDDs since 2007 have all failed within 1-13 months of the warranty end. Oddly, I have some older Seagate drives that had 5 yr warranties from around 2006 which are still working perfect. They are just a hassle due to small, for today, storage capacities.

    ext4 is just one option. There are probably 20 native Linux file systems that can be used. If you don't have a specific need for a specific file system, ext4 is a good, general purpose, choice. It is what I use, though I've been tempted to use zfs for data-only disks multiple times. For flash storage only used by Linux, I use f2fs. I see little reason to use xfs or btrfs, though for specific purposes those can be fantastic choices. xfs is a tiny bit faster than ext4, but it lacks some capabilities I've needed. btrfs has catastrophic failure modes if more than 1 disk is used and virtual machines don't like the CoW file system, so for a laptop with a single storage device, never using any virtualization, it should be fine. I've been tempted to install btrfs on a slow laptop just to see and learn.

    I want to confirm that the OS native to a file system should be used to maintain, manage and validate that file system. NTFS, FAT32, exFAT all need Windows for file system validation.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Beans
    13

    Re: Delete Items on Mounted SATA does not free up space, fstab settings?

    Is there something with the way that these drives are mounted that would prevent Network sharing?
    Reason I ask is I am able to share folders fine from my ext4 drive that the OS is on and access them with a Windows computer.
    But these newly mounted drives the network drives dont seem to open, they are detectable but will not open.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Beans
    13

    Re: Delete Items on Mounted SATA does not free up space, fstab settings?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    You know that changing from NTFS to a native Linux file system can be tested using a small flash drive for a day, right? Check that it works the way you want before blowing $500.

    If it works the way you need, then ....
    If you don't have use for the 2 NTFS drives, you can just buy 1 sized to replace the larger, format it with a native linux file system, then move the files from 1 drive onto it, now you have 2 spare drives. Format the now empty NTFS to a drive native linux file system, then move the files from the other NTFS drive.

    BTW, if you can't backup the data currently, that's a pretty big problem.

    Oh I understand I need to back this up. One of these drives was a 16 terabyte drive that I filled up in a year digitizing old video footage and transferring things from old external drrives (the 16 tb drive is about a year old). So things have been ballooning data wise very quickly. I think ultimately Ill have to migrate to some other type of solution. Was looking at maybe purchasing 72 terabytes of additional storage for both backing up existing and being able to store additional footage right now Im basically maxed out.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Squidbilly-Land
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Delete Items on Mounted SATA does not free up space, fstab settings?

    Quote Originally Posted by todolinuxvidz1 View Post
    Is there something with the way that these drives are mounted that would prevent Network sharing?
    Reason I ask is I am able to share folders fine from my ext4 drive that the OS is on and access them with a Windows computer.
    But these newly mounted drives the network drives dont seem to open, they are detectable but will not open.
    Best to create a new thread for that question. It is too different from fstab issues. In the other thread, you'll want to be very specific on the protocol used. I generally help with NFS, but have backed off any samba/cifs help, since it isn't my expertise. But NFS isn't so good from Windows.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Squidbilly-Land
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Delete Items on Mounted SATA does not free up space, fstab settings?

    Quote Originally Posted by todolinuxvidz1 View Post
    Oh I understand I need to back this up. One of these drives was a 16 terabyte drive that I filled up in a year digitizing old video footage and transferring things from old external drrives (the 16 tb drive is about a year old). So things have been ballooning data wise very quickly. I think ultimately Ill have to migrate to some other type of solution. Was looking at maybe purchasing 72 terabytes of additional storage for both backing up existing and being able to store additional footage right now Im basically maxed out.
    If you are going that direction, then you really should check out ZFS. I have about 40TB here and rather than expand, I'm deleting things based on household importance. About 50% of the saved recordings will never be looked at again, so what's the point in saving it? I got into a data hoarding mode ... but now that it will cost $350+ to expand, there are other things we'd rather do with that cash. Everyone needs to figure out their limits for themselves. Some people think 2TB is way too much, so all perspectives are valid.

    When I buy storage, I buy pairs. If I can't backup the data, then it isn't important enough to keep at all. It's a mindset. About 20 yrs ago, I lost 80% of our data. It took a few more years, but eventually I got backup religion.

    I have 2 types of backups. Daily, automatic, versioned backups for typical computer stuff - docs, settings, email, normal stuff. Minimum is 90 days, but for high risk stuff, it is 180 days.

    Then there's the media backups for huge files. That's video and audio stuff. Those are just an rsync mirror, created a few times a week, after new content is added. I've had enough disk failures over the decades to know what is truly important and what is nice to have and what is just eating storage, completely unimportant.

    There are some storage areas that are never, ever, backed up. Never. That's a deliberate choice. Mainly areas on a laptop that is a copy of entertainment files for travel and no other purpose.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Beans
    13

    Re: Delete Items on Mounted SATA does not free up space, fstab settings?

    Thanks all for your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •