Thread: Dell Latitude 5404 Rugged - Fans not spinning or able to control with pwmcontrol

Beans

Angry Dell Latitude 5404 Rugged - Fans not spinning or able to control with pwmcontrol

I have a new-ish Dell Latitude 5404 Rugged which, up until about a week ago, worked perfectly fine. I opened up the case to check out the RAM situation for upgrading, but did not make any changes to the device in that time. When I put it back together, I found that the fan was no longer spinning.

The computer will run as normal and heat up quickly. When it reaches the critical "Overheat" point, the fans will spin up for less than a second to full power, then turn back off.

Here is what I have tried:

In BIOS:

• Ran diagnostics, fan spins during fan checks

In Windows:

• Installed hwinfo, am able to setup fan curves and manually spin fan through the "sensors" menu - only when program is running

In Ubuntu (20.04):

• Installed psensor to check fan speeds and core temp values (Core idles around 70c, up to over 100c under load - fans only register on "max" value after the quick overheat spinup.
    • Installed hwinfo, no help here
    • Ran sudo pwmconfig, was given

HTML Code:
    There are no working fan sensors, all readings are 0.
    Make sure you have a 3-wire fan connected.
    You may also need to increase the fan divisors.
    See doc/fan-divisors for more information.
    HOWEVER while this utility is running, the fans spin briefly (like they do in an overheat) and then fall back to nothing.

• Installed and uninstalled i8kutils and fancontrol, neither of which worked nor gave me any error output.

Getting really frustrated with this, since it was working and all the sudden not anymore. I know the fan works since it reports RPM, and is able to be controlled via Windows and BIOS Diag, but not in Linux apparently. I have no BIOS control options available for the fan so I'm stuck.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Dell Latitude 5404 Rugged - Fans not spinning or able to control with pwmcontrol

If they worked properly before you opened the case, but don't work properly after you put it back together, then I would assume that something got unplugged or some sensor got moved or covered/uncovered while it was apart.

Beans

Re: Dell Latitude 5404 Rugged - Fans not spinning or able to control with pwmcontrol

I opened up the case to check out the RAM situation for upgrading, but did not make any changes to the device in that time.
    Why would you do that? Just read the manual. https://dl.dell.com/topicspdf/latitu...nual_en-us.pdf
    Table 16. Memory
    Feature Specification
    Memory connector two SODIMM slots
    Memory capacity 4 GB, or 8 GB
    Memory type DDR3 SDRAM 1600 Mhz
    Minimum memory 4 GB
    Maximum memory 16 GB

pwmconfig is not for laptops

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post
    Why would you do that? Just read the manual. https://dl.dell.com/topicspdf/latitu...nual_en-us.pdf
    Table 16. Memory
    Feature Specification
    Memory connector two SODIMM slots
    Memory capacity 4 GB, or 8 GB
    Memory type DDR3 SDRAM 1600 Mhz
    Minimum memory 4 GB
    Maximum memory 16 GB

pwmconfig is not for laptops
    Opened it up to see what brand was in there to match it up, plus had to open it later to install the ram anyways.
    Last edited by thedoctorof11; April 25th, 2022 at 05:39 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    If they worked properly before you opened the case, but don't work properly after you put it back together, then I would assume that something got unplugged or some sensor got moved or covered/uncovered while it was apart.

Any clues as to where to look to figure that out? I can't seem to find anything that is disconnected or moved, nor can I find anything alluding to a sensor on the board layout.

All the sensors are reporting data in psensor, and in Windows using hwinfo I am able to create a custom fan curve that runs as long as the program is open - so something else must be messed up as well.
    Last edited by thedoctorof11; April 25th, 2022 at 05:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by thedoctorof11 View Post

• Installed and uninstalled i8kutils and fancontrol, neither of which worked nor gave me any error output.

Getting really frustrated with this, since it was working and all the sudden not anymore. I know the fan works since it reports RPM, and is able to be controlled via Windows and BIOS Diag, but not in Linux apparently. I have no BIOS control options available for the fan so I'm stuck.

Any ideas?
    Just installing the i8kutils is not enough.
    i8kutils has to be enabled:
    Edit the file /etc/default/i8kbuttons and /etc/default/i8kmon and set ENABLED to 1:
    wasn't sure if you had gone that far. Good Luck
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

If that doesn't work, then it's probably because of ACPI issues. https://iam.tj/prototype/enhancement...-acpi_osi.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    Just installing the i8kutils is not enough.
    i8kutils has to be enabled:
    Edit the file /etc/default/i8kbuttons and /etc/default/i8kmon and set ENABLED to 1:
    wasn't sure if you had gone that far. Good Luck
    Went down the rabbit hole of i8kutils, got ... somewhere?

Set up all the process files and authorizations, (there was no /etc/default/i8kbuttons or /etc/default/i8kmon files)

Found out in order to get it working I had to disable secure boot

Doing so allowed me, using
    Code:
    i8kctl fan 0 2
    and
    Code:
    i8kctl fan 0 1
    I was able to get the fan to spin for less than a second before turning back off

I wrote a script that will check the CPU temp and constantly feed those values, but it's system intensive and has to be run on reboot - bogs down the computer.

Any ideas as to how to make this work permanently, without the performance loss?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I'm pushed for time today, so I might have to revisit this tomorrow.
    have a look here if you have not seen already: https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/contro...-debian-linux/
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD